• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Semi Custom" rifle around 2k dollars

C-grunt

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
Peoria, Az
I've read the statements "semi customs around 2000 dollars" multiple times in this site and others.

I'm in the market for a semi custom rifle under 3000 dollars. My current plan is an APR Ranger at 2750. I'm looking for a 308 with a stock, I don't want a chassis. Use is recreational target shooting and maybe non serious competition.

Other than Seekins, what other rifle should I be looking at in this price range?

Last edited:
A bighorn origin barreled action form PVA is $1475 and add the stock of your choice. For instance I just bought a manners T4A elite from OTM tactical for $800. So total for all custom components on the rifle would be $2275. Or you could get a AG composites which have been recommended highly and get even closer to the $2000 mark.

The stock part is less popular for the "production series" type guns. A big horn, a prefit, and a stock and trigger of your choice should be within your price range easily.

Proof Elevation = OOB hunter with all the name brand stuff.
Origin action
Proof CF barrel
AG stock
TT primary trigger

Normal for sale in $2.4K to $2.7k range. Saw them around $2.1k last spring.

Build your own so you can control what parts you want, IMO.

However, the APR Maverick is tough to beat at the +2K mark.

Seekins and Christensen for sub-2K IMO.

I agree with the above except Christensen has too many reports of being hit or miss. A quick search will show you all you want to know about that.

Check out the Badrock Rifles Southfork, Defiance Machine's "factory custom." I have no experience, actual or anecdotal, with the rifles but my Defiance Deviant-based custom is great. You could also get the Badrock barreled action and put it in whatever stock you want... but I would certainly call and talk to them and see what options they can offer. Seems to me a lot of people leave options on the table by just picking something off a web site...

Tikka CTR & $10 yodave trigger spring.

But, for a recreational/non-serious competition gun I'd think hard on whether you really want go .308... it's not really any cheaper anymore than 6.5 creedmoor and is just as hard or harder to get a hold of loaded ammo and/or components, still has more recoil, and still is ballistically inferior (much less misses due to wind and hitting stuff is funner lol).

Tikka CTR & $10 yodave trigger spring.

But, for a recreational/non-serious competition gun I'd think hard on whether you really want go .308... it's not really any cheaper anymore than 6.5 creedmoor and is just as hard or harder to get a hold of loaded ammo and/or components, still has more recoil, and still is ballistically inferior (much less misses due to wind and hitting stuff is funner lol).

I have an AI AT with a 6.5 CM barrel on it. I want this rifle to be a 308.

I've had probably 6 factory rifles that I've built up over the years. I want to try a professional built one this time. That's why I'm looking at the APR rifle. But I wanted to see what else was out there before I order it.

Last edited:
Think for a custom from a "known" shop for less than $3k the APR might be it... unless a pre-owned GAP shows up in the PX.