• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi Custom vs Factory: Rifle #2 6.5 PRC

rybe390

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Alright folks, I'm looking for some guidance and input on my plans for my next rifle. I currently have a Bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 Creedmoor. I shoot matches with it, shoot at the range with it, and hunt deer/elk in Colorado with it. I love it at the range and for matches, but with a suppressor it is 14lbs 2oz, which is a touch heavy for a mountain hiking rifle. It was fine and didn't hold me back, but I'd prefer to be closer to 12(first year of hunting was no can, and it was 12ish). The rifle is also close to a rebarrel and will be getting a heavier contour...which means I need a new hunting stick. I also want this hunting rifle to...shocker, be fun at the range, and offer capabilities my current rifle does not. I prioritize my range time over hunting time, and am willing to carry a heavier rifle for a few days if it means it's more fun to shoot all year. With how many rifles I can afford currently, a dedicated 7lb hunting rifle doesn't make sense.

Objective: Build a rifle that is capable of elk sized game out to 400-500 yards, decent to shoot at the range, maybe touch a NRL hunter match, and can be pushed to 1 mile on occasion.

Cartridge: 6.5 PRC. Can go into detail if you want but I'm pretty set on this.

Weight: 12lbs, ish.

I've come up with 2 ways to go about this and would like to know if I'm tracking here. One is a factory option, the other semi custom.

I will add about 28oz to the rifle of bipod, base, rings, arca rail, pic rail section, and brake. This is 100% going to happen. Working on getting a tbac suppressor but it'll be just a brake for now, current can isn't rated for magnums.

Option 1: Literally get another b14 hmr, but in 6.5 PRC. Weight around 9lb 11oz. The hmr stock is 3.5 lbs. I'd drop in a krg x-ray at 3lbs, and save 8oz, so 9lb 3oz before anything else added, 10lb 15oz after all the other shit before optic. $1400 ish in rifle/chassis. Probably a 12.5lb gun.

Option 2: semi custom. Bighorn origin action, proof carbon pre fit. No freaking clue how much this would weigh. Would drop into a krg x-ray, add my 28oz of non negotiable parts, and determine an optic. I'm sure it would be a bit(again...how much tbd) lighter than the Hmr due to barrel. $2000ish in rifle/chassis. Probably sub 11.5 lbs rifle.

Where I am torn:
Is $600 more worth the weight savings of the proof barrel?
Is $600 more getting me anything extra for quality and accuracy?
Is it silly to buy a factory rifle for rifle #2?
Am I being dumb by not just buying a dedicated hunting rifle?

Let me know your thoughts on my plan, I'm torn and I'm also just making sure I'm approaching this correctly. At the end of the day I'd love to have a nice match/range 6.5 creedmoor, a hybrid 6.5 prc, a hogged out .300 prc, and a hunting rifle, but right now I think the medium 6.5 prc makes the most sense to tackle. I'm just not sure if it'll stand the test of time as I build more purpose built items.

Rifle pic for the people
PXL_20211218_172124503.jpg

A Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 Creedmoor, GRS Bifrost stock, with Vortex Razor HD scope.
I carry that with a Butlers Creek sling.
Across the salt flats, up hills, and bush bashing.
It's my everyday rifle.
Kangaroos, pigs, deer, camels, foxes,cats, etc.
They die fast with my very accurate Tikka.
Knocking steel with it at 1400 metres.
Pretty much does everything I need.
I have two favourites loads, one for 129gr SST, and the other for 147gr ELD-X.
My scopedope is set for both, and now it's just pick and choose according to target and distance.
Without a doubt, my most versatile rifle.
Hope you have fun with your final choice.
👍

20220101_095537.jpg

Reactions: rybe390
For about $8-900 you could swap the bolt and barrel and run a 6.5 PRC on your existing rig. For $300 more it could be a carbon barrel, saving maybe 1-1.5 lbs, and you could likely sell the old bolt to help pay for the new one. The Premier bolt is a drop-in and offered swappable bolt heads.

Reactions: The D
Personally since you have a target gun, I would just go into a hunting gun. I would jump up to 300PRC, I like energy on target especially if hunting elk. You can use your current 6.5 creed in an NRL hunter match if you choose to shoot one.

If you want to stick to bergara, you could get the premier approach rifle, 8.5lb base rifle in 300 PRC. This rifle could be pushed to 1 mile, it won't be a great target rifle as it will have a lot of recoil. But with a brake it's not too bad. I wouldn't shoot a match with it, but also won't be painful if you want to bang steel for fun. Or your idea of origin/xray/proof is also a great idea, and should come in a bit lighter.

With those 2 rifles I think you can easily accomplish all of your goals. If you are dead set on 6.5 PRC, they make the premier approach in 6.5 PRC also. But this way you get a dedicated target gun and dedicated hunting gun. I think you end up with a better package when you don't try to make one rifle do 2 completely different things.

side note: since you want arca and picatinny, these are pretty cool and only 3 ounces

up to you it's your money I like custom built tailored to a round firearms , before I got mine I had no idea how nice it would shoot till I got it now I can't imagine my world without it , but I am a gun whore I like them all old , new , modern , replicas , originals , factory or customs . best of luck with what ever you get or decide to do especially when it comes to finding enough ammo to feed your little piggy .

I’ve gone back and forth with precision rifles for hunting rifles. From basic savage and Rem 700’s to FN SPR and AI’s. I personally grew to appreciate the heavy platforms for LR hunting and targets but prefer a totally different setup for standard hunting. Be it blind or walk/stalk

These are my precision rigs used for target and open field hunting (crop damage)
BD7F268F-BC6D-43F4-8437-05CA524E7D14.jpeg

D4C6D05D-A680-45F1-BA28-6EE55819AB00.jpeg

And these are my “hunting” rigs for deer and Varmint. The top is a Tikka T3X Alpine in 300 WM. Simple Burris E1 drop reticle 4.5-14 optic. Very light and very accurate. Easy to 500 yards. You could get something similar in 6.5 PRC and load to match your Bergara. Get a lightweight scope and dial for elevation and you’d essentially end up with two rifles in the same caliber, same ballistics for two different types of shooting
A5CAC814-3647-4878-A748-755A79AD827F.jpeg

With those 2 rifles I think you can easily accomplish all of your goals. If you are dead set on 6.5 PRC, they make the premier approach in 6.5 PRC also. But this way you get a dedicated target gun and dedicated hunting gun. I think you end up with a better package when you don't try to make one rifle do 2 completely different things.

side note: since you want arca and picatinny, these are pretty cool and only 3 ounces
That rail you linked is awesome, thank you.

And, after thinking long and hard about it, I think you all may have convinced me to build a rifle that is more geared towards hunting than enjoyment at the range. I'm starting to think something around 9-10 lbs would be a great rifle.

I'm looking at Bergara b14 ridges, Tikka t3x lites, ctr(maybe too heavy) as well as the original origin/proof/x-ray concept. I'd drop one of these relatively light barreled rifles into a stock I know I'm comfortable with, aka something like a alrg x-ray, grayboe phoenix, etc.

What decently light rifles that have threaded barrels would you all look at beyond the tikka or Bergara ridge? And to that, what besides a krg x-ray or grayboe phoenix should I be looking towards for decently light, chasis-ish feeling stocks?

Reactions: jda2631
Alright folks, I'm looking for some guidance and input on my plans for my next rifle. I currently have a Bergara b14 hmr in 6.5 Creedmoor. I shoot matches with it, shoot at the range with it, and hunt deer/elk in Colorado with it. I love it at the range and for matches, but with a suppressor it is 14lbs 2oz, which is a touch heavy for a mountain hiking rifle. It was fine and didn't hold me back, but I'd prefer to be closer to 12(first year of hunting was no can, and it was 12ish). The rifle is also close to a rebarrel and will be getting a heavier contour...which means I need a new hunting stick. I also want this hunting rifle to...shocker, be fun at the range, and offer capabilities my current rifle does not. I prioritize my range time over hunting time, and am willing to carry a heavier rifle for a few days if it means it's more fun to shoot all year. With how many rifles I can afford currently, a dedicated 7lb hunting rifle doesn't make sense.

Objective: Build a rifle that is capable of elk sized game out to 400-500 yards, decent to shoot at the range, maybe touch a NRL hunter match, and can be pushed to 1 mile on occasion.

I've come up with 2 ways to go about this and would like to know if I'm tracking here. One is a factory option, the other semi custom.

I will add about 28oz to the rifle of bipod, base, rings, arca rail, pic rail section, and brake. This is 100% going to happen. Working on getting a tbac suppressor but it'll be just a brake for now, current can isn't rated for magnums.

Option 1: Literally get another b14 hmr, but in 6.5 PRC. Weight around 9lb 11oz. The hmr stock is 3.5 lbs. I'd drop in a krg x-ray at 3lbs, and save 8oz, so 9lb 3oz before anything else added, 10lb 15oz after all the other shit before optic. $1400 ish in rifle/chassis. Probably a 12.5lb gun.

Option 2: semi custom. Bighorn origin action, proof carbon pre fit. No freaking clue how much this would weigh. Would drop into a krg x-ray, add my 28oz of non negotiable parts, and determine an optic. I'm sure it would be a bit(again...how much tbd) lighter than the Hmr due to barrel. $2000ish in rifle/chassis. Probably sub 11.5 lbs rifle.

Where I am torn:

Let me know your thoughts on my plan, I'm torn and I'm also just making sure I'm approaching this correctly. At the end of the day I'd love to have a nice match/range 6.5 creedmoor, a hybrid 6.5 prc, a hogged out .300 prc, and a hunting rifle, but right now I think the medium 6.5 prc makes the most sense to tackle. I'm just not sure if it'll stand the test of time as I build more purpose built items.

Rifle pic for the people View attachment 7781542
I have a Savage Ultra Light in 6.5 PRC. I put an Area 419 brake on it. With handloads bullets are touching in one ragged hole(100 yards). It has a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped Barrel it comes with from the factory, You can find them for about $1200. At least that was the price last year. Trigger is really good. I have a Bergara B-14 in 300 PRC . I love it although it is on the heavy side but really accurate. Love the paint job on your stock by the way. Good luck with your search!

No real suggestion here, just something that might be of interest to you. I've got a 6.5 CM (yes, baby brother, I know) that goes 11.8 lbs all up. That includes a:

Action: ARC Nuc Gen2
Barrel: Proof CF, 20"
Stock: Manners CS-2, Elite/CF shell, w/ mini-chassis, 2x QD, 1x pic rail section, cheek riser
Rings: Seekins (on the included ARC rail)
Scope: Athlon Ares BTR Gen2 2.5-15x50
Bipod: Harris (eek!) w/ Area 419 adapter and LW-17 pic rail QD
Suppressor: Dead Air Nomad 30 w/ Armageddon Gear cover

Balance point is just forward of the barricade stop and it handles wonderfully, carries well (my opinion). The current gen Vortex LHT didn't exist when I put this together, you can save almost a half pound there. You could also save a good half pound on the stock, easy. A Ti suppressor can get you another few ounces. Might let you run a 22-24" barrel and still meet your weight goal.

Last edited:

Where I am torn:

Rifle pic for the people View attachment 7781542
I’m partial to what Knownothing suggested. No more paperwork filed to the nazis and you have access to dozens of cartridges to shoot in the future with the two most popular bolt sizes

There is also an argument to be made for another rifle build based around a long action of some sort if you want a 300prc(or any other magnum cartridge) in the future. Also, to get the most of 6.5prc you should be hand loading and shooting that in a long action.

Something I didn’t see mentioned but may be worth a look is a Springfield Waypoint 2020.

For $2000.00 it isn’t out of line price wise. On mine the fit and finish are acceptable. I’d love to tell you how it shoots but ammo and brass are a little hard to find at the moment, at least local to me.

I tossed a Vortex Razor HD LHT on it and it seems like it’s going to make a nice packable set up for hunting deer and elk with the option for extended range target or varmint fun.