• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Semi-guided or Drop camp archery elk?

Chesapeake

N/A
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Montana
I am looking at doing a drop camp or semi-guided archery elk hunt this season. I will be putting in for tags in Montana, NM and Colorado. This will be my second elk hunt but first archery elk hunt. Last year I did a DIY hunt in Colorado, first rifle, with a few buddies but we all ate tag soup. We were on elk most days but did not have a shot opportunity at a bull and there was a lot of hunting pressure.

My goals for this trip are: become a better elk hunter, be on elk every day, get a good shot opportunity, have a great time in beautiful country and get away from the crowds.

Being back east I don’t have the opportunity to spend time scouting. While my hunting buddy and I are in good shape, going from sea level to 9,000-11,000 feet is pretty tough so I’m thinking at least a pack-in would be helpful to keep the legs fresh.

Please feel free to weigh-in with your opinions on what route I should go, full diy again, drop/spike camp, semi-guided etc. I have seen some pack-in drop camp hunts for around $1500/person as well as semi guided and fully guided for around a $1000 more to north if $6500.

If I am paying for a guide I would want them to be more of a coach and hunting mentor than a “follow me - shoot that” type.

Thanks for your input and recommendations.

I think I would like to do the drop camp. I feel they would put you in a decent area and maybe give a few tips. Full guided is for some but not me. Good luck

Check out Black Mountain Outfitters. They have several different states to give you plenty of options.

For a real quality elk hunt, start searching states with quality animals. Utah, NM, AZ and Nevada are home to giant bulls. Contact some outfitters and they will help you pick some choices. Epic Outdoors is a great company to help with tag apps and odds.

If you want to see game and have a learning experience you will need a guide.
Already knowing that you have no idea of the terrain or patterns of the animals where you may hunt, a drop in might be more of a camp out and hike then a hunt.
If you really want to learn then call up,some outfitters and explain what you are trying to do.
I’m from the east coast as well, I have found that speaking to outfitters was the best way.
You have to look deep down inside and know that if you don’t see game or take one you will not be pissed about spending $.
My first elk hunt was a fence deal on 15000 acres. All things being equal it was a very nice trip.
By no means ruffing it but since I came home with a head on the wall, I have since stretched my comfort zone and willingness to not see a keeper.
If I spent the same amount over several hunts and came home with nothing a few times in a row I’d be pissed, but I can always look at the elk on the wall.