• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

semi-long range AR project ?'s

ugadeer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2009
Athens, GA
I am weighing 2 options right now for a build and am looking for some guidance from any who may have experience with the below uppers......my goal is to have an accurate semi long range AR and i'm debating b/n 2 uppers......

1st. Lothar/Walther med./hvy barrel 20" 1-8, FF YHM rail, keyhole upper

2nd. DPMS SDMR upper 20" fluted, FF quad rail.......

right now it seems that i can get either for about the same price $900+ and am wondering which one ya'll think will prove to be more accurate, i am mating it with an EA lower w/ DPMS parts kit, Magpul PRS stock

Thanks for your help

Re: semi-long range AR project ?'s

I have had four DPMS uppers and two shot very well and the other two were very inconsistent. One of the inconsistent uppers is now sporting a barrel from White Oak, I am still playing around with the other problem child.

Just my 2 cents,

The barrel will make or break you on accuracy. Get the best barrel you can afford. And whoever machines the barrel- have them chamber it to depth with a specific bolt, and send you the barrel AND THAT bolt as hand-fitted components.

New barrel to new barrel, I'd bet my money on the Walther. (Out of your choices)

Get a Kreiger!

Thanks for the info guys........they are waiting on the bolts now so that they can match/lap them to fit each barrel, I just placed the order with superior for the walther LW50 20" in 1:8, hopefully it will be a shooter, i'm matching it with an EA lower and magpul PRS stock, which thankfully i already have in hand.

Just have George at GA Precesion build it and you will have no worries.

RRA NM 1-8tw with a free float tube and a low profile gas block is about the best money to accuracy ratio out there....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RRA NM 1-8tw with a free float tube and a low profile gas block is about the best money to accuracy ratio out there.... </div></div>
Agreed! RR uses Wilson blanks and with the Wilde chamber, they shoot very well. I have an 18" Varmint and a chrome lined 14.5 RR. Both will shoot under MOA at 100 with M193.

Shot better then my noveske which costs ALOT more money.
My next will be a WOA NM 20" 1-8tw....

my definition would be 500 yds and less........obviously a pretty loose definition but one that i like to use.......

i did end up going with the wylde chambered 1:8 20" Walther w/ matched/lapped bolt, yhm rifle length FF rail, low profile gas block, EA lower, DPMS LPK, and PRS stock.......topping for now (b/c i have it in the safe) a burris XTR 3-12x50......hopefully it all works together