• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Semi tight neck chamber?

Re: Semi tight neck chamber?

I wouldn't go under 0.313" unless you want to turn necks. 0.0015"/side minimum, 0.002"/side clearance won't hurt you any.

As long as the necks dont expand more than .005" at firing your OK. I run a .315" neck on my 7mm reamers, 7/300wsm, 7wsm, 280AI, 7-08, 7mmRM etc. If the necks do expand more than .005" at firing when you size the brass down, run out in your sized necks will be present.

If your running a loaded neck thats .310", a chamber/reamer neck of .315" would be fine. I'd use a .308" bushing to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't go under 0.313" unless you want to turn necks. 0.0015"/side minimum, 0.002"/side clearance won't hurt you any.

</div></div>
+1 .003 per side with .006 total would assure flawless feeding with fine accuracy. I have a match Palma ream with a .343 neck and .337 loaded cartridge diameter. That is about the maximum I'd go though.

To the OP, "who" will only go to .316"? Dave Kiff will make your neck any dimension that you like, and will warn you if he thinks you're doing something wrong....

Cheers,

Bill

This barrel is for a single shot. MGM told me >316 and they usually do a .318. Price starts at $395 and Im not going to buy a reamer. I will just give up on the idea and find another toy

Understood, thought you were spec'ing out a reamer/chamber. .316" would work, it's just not the best match to your particular rounds....

Bill