• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sendero in 300RSAUM

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
So a while back I bought a Sendero with plans to make it into a long range gun. I didnt know much then(not much has changed) but I was in over my head. I had more money than sense. Good thing I dont have that problem now.

I also bought a FN SPR which I have been shooting and trying to teach myself the basics.

I hope to start some reloading this year but it might be a while.

My question is this, is the gun worth keeping for the future or should I dump it and put the money towards something a little more practical for me right now ( I was thinking 260/6.5 creedmoor)

Re: Sendero in 300RSAUM

300 RSAUM isn't a bad long range caliber, have you shot it yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a while back I bought a Sendero with plans to make it into a long range gun. I didnt know much then(not much has changed) but I was in over my head. I had more money than sense. Good thing I dont have that problem now.

I also bought a FN SPR which I have been shooting and trying to teach myself the basics.

I hope to start some reloading this year but it might be a while.

My question is this, is the gun worth keeping for the future or should I dump it and put the money towards something a little more practical for me right now ( I was thinking 260/6.5 creedmoor) </div></div>

IMO The most practical thing you could do is start reloading right now for you're 308!It'll save you a bunch of $$$ in the long run that can be used for other purposes.The sooner you start the better.

Whats the farthest distance you're shooting right now? If it's 500Y and closer then I wouldn't worry about getting a different chambering.It doesn't cost anything to hold out or dial a little further for wind and drop.

Concerning the Sendero.Things change.Later on as your needs/wants progress you might want a custom action,stock,trigger,DBM,etc.In which case you're better off starting from scratch or buying a used full custom rifle.That way you don't have a bunch of stock rifle parts you have to get rid of later.To me there's little else more satisfying than a "full" custom rifle.

So I'd say hold onto it until you know for sure what you really want in a precision rifle.Maybe all you want is a new 7 SAUM custom barrel in which case it makes little sense to sell it.

Have not shot it yet

I can shoot as far as I want. We have unlimited desert. Did some shooting out to 1000 last summer but feel like I need a lot more practice in the 4-800 range.

The biggest problem I have with keeping the sendero around for the future is money. If I had a pile of cash I wouldnt worry about it. That and I have already had it a few years

I hope to get started reloading rifle this summer and the 308 will be the go to gun for now but after shooting with my buddy and his 284 I need to upgrade soon.

Try shooting the 300 RSAUM before you start playing with it. I think you'll find it to be a pretty good shooter in it's own right, and it is 1000yd capable. Might want a trigger job from the get go though. THat Remington trigger is a good one if it's been tuned.

Sendero in 300 SAUM! Sweeet

I wish they still sold them in that chambering. Cant find any SAUM in the 700 range these days... how crap is that!

I vote keep it. The SAUM's are hammers. You could even rebarrel her for 7mmSAUM which Is where my interest is for a next build.

Can easily get them shooting Berger 180 VLDs 2900 FPS, which is more than adequate for past 1000 yards with superior accuracy.

i got the 300rsaum in the 700 alaskan, its a fine shooter though working up a load for elk it gets a little harsh shooting that 6.5 lbs gun over and over and over. It's a good round and has been pretty simple to load for so id say keep her around and she'll work nice for ya.

I like the 300saum also, I wish i could find a LTR in that caliber. reloading for it easy and they shoot good. My Model 7 even shoots decent for what it is. i would vote to keep it.