• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sendero v. 5R

jmr44

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
Texas
I should have stuck with rimfires. Anyway... read a lot but over 100 yard newbee.
Have three Senderos, 22-250, 223 and 308. Paper only - no competition except with myself. Want to shoot sub MOA out to 600 yards with the 308 - mostly 2-300yds. Can my Sendero handle this? What is difference with 5R other than barel lenght and cosmetics? My 308 is used but new to me -- I've got it to do better than 1/2 MOA with Black Hills at 100. But if it is not a good platform to build on, need to rethink my assumptions. Other posts really playup the 5R with no mention of the Sendero. Thinking 1000-1500 is max I'm willing to invest in base rifle until I decide if this gig will survive the novelty challange. Appreciate your views, thanks, John

Re: Sendero v. 5R

Shoot your Sendero. If you are getting .5 MOA at 100 yds, why wouldn't you get it at 600 yds. No sense in selling it to by a 5R, take your $1500 and buy good glass. Once your ready to take it up a notch, send it in for a new barrel and truing.

The only difference between the 5R and the Sendero is the radius cut on the rifling and the twist rate. The Sendero is 1/12 while the 5R is 1/11.25.

If it is a short action, it is not a Sendero but a Varmint, probably VS.
Sendero is long action and magnum action only.
I have a Sendero in 7mmRM, it is an excellent shooter, as is your .308.
With the proper loads there is no reason it won't hold half-moa out to 5 or 600 yards, it is just harder to do it. ANY little mistake you make is magnified.
Keep shooting it until accuracy degrades, then rebarrel it with a 5r barrel if you wish.
Start handloading, especially the nosler custom competition 155 grain HPBT match bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With the proper loads there is no reason it won't hold half-moa out to 5 or 600 yards, it is just harder to do it.
Keep shooting it </div></div>

+1, sounds like you got a good rifle, spend your money on a great optic, and some reloading equipment, with some good loads, you'll be out to 1k in no time!

I had remington sendero a long time ago in 300 win mag. It was the older sendero with the black webbing stock. The gun easily shot 1/2 inch at 100 yards but the recoil as most people know is a little annoying.

I also have an older Sendero in 300 Ultra mag. I have shot it out to 1,000 yards and it is more consistent than me. I do believe a heavier contoured barrel on my rifle may help with scope mirage. I can crack off three shots and then I get a lot of mirage. I'm currently working on a Remington 700 VLS in .308 and it seems to be able to meet your requirements. I wouldn't get rid of your .308 without doing a lot of shooting. As someone else said, put your money in mounts and optics.

My rifle barrel i have is very heavy at 1.20 to .920 and its in 300 win mag and i can say that even after a bunch of rounds the barrel does get a little warm but not bad at all. I have had little to no mirage. I fired like 60 rounds in the course of 90 minutes and the barrel was good to go. 300 ultra mag ive never shot but you can buy the mirage bands for your gun i know accuracy international sells them and perhaps so do other vendors