• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sending a .223 barrel out for nitriding - shoot it first? - prep included?

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
Hey,

I've never sent a barrel out for salt bath nitriding/nitrocarburizing. Can someone give me the skinny on how it works?

Wondering if I should break it in first, and if I do, is it up to ME to make sure that it's fully degreased, clean, etc. or is that conducted as part of the service?

Thanks,

--Fargo007

Hey,

I've never sent a barrel out for salt bath nitriding/nitrocarburizing. Can someone give me the skinny on how it works?

Wondering if I should break it in first, and if I do, is it up to ME to make sure that it's fully degreased, clean, etc. or is that conducted as part of the service?

Thanks,

--Fargo007

Why would you even consider doing it?? Is it for a bolt gun? AR barrels already treated are a dime a dozen!

do not shoot it. send it in to be treated newly chambered. It will be dipped in a 1000 degree salt bath for 10 minutes....I'd just have oil in the bore to prevent rust during shipping. People have had problems nitriding barrels that had hundreds of rounds on them. Of course it's best to treat a cut-rifled, hand-lapped barrel with no tooling marks from chambering, they don't come out easy after treatment.

I've always read that you want to shoot it first to clean out any micro burrs, even with a custom barrel. Then, clean, clean, and clean some more to make sure it perfectly clean. Then salt bath nitride it. As scotharr said, any burrs will be harder to get rid of after nitriding so you want it already smooth when they do it.

Spoke to Ritz at H&M Metal (blacknitride.com) literally two days about sending him my Krieger for my custom. Ritz is the manager of their firearm department. He said that customers have sent both brand new and "Broken In" barrels (10-20 rounds shot through for microburs). He said the benchrest/bolt action guys break in their custom Krieger/Brux/Bartlein but the AR and Pistol customers do not. He said that I could send my barrel either way but if I was willing to go a proper break in that would be best.