• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sending gun back to browning

cmh2007

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Katy TX
I know its not rifle related, but i need to send a Browning Gold Sporting Clays back to browning. I have long sense done away with the box that it came in. any suggestions for shipping it? Any of you fine gents in the houston area got a spare shotgun factory package i can use? Or should i just take my chance and buy a cheap case to send it in?

Re: sending gun back to browning

Well, I have never had to send back a long gun before, but it seems to me if it is boxed up well in a padded case, it should make it to the manufacturer. Also, if you contact Browning, they could probably help you out with a shipping label. Good luck.

they are going to help me with the shipping label, but they said they don't want a padded hard case, but a factory box..."we don't want to have to be responsible for more gear than we have to"

I'm not local enough to help you with a box, but rather than risk getting your nice Browning shotgun damaged using a makeshift container or something other than a suitable shipping container, check out the MidwayUSA gun shipping boxes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/252091/midwayusa-quick-ship-box-1-36-x-12-x-4

They aren't cheap at about $55 shipped, but it will ensure your shotgun arrives safely at Browning and back to you. Obviously, with the case size, you'll have to separate the barrel/receiver, but those boxes work exceptionally well for warranty returns like in your situation. I have one that I've shipped back and forth from WV to OH and AZ a couple of times now with firearms and stuff and it has held up well.

Also, did Browning offer you any suggestions as to what they'd recommend to ship it in since you don't have the OEM box? I'm just curious because shipping it in something besides a nice, padded gun case or dedicated padded shipping box is likely to result in damage from the mail/UPS monkeys and then Browning can plausibly refuse to fix whatever the warranty problem might be because of the damage that occurred in transit to them.

they said to go get an OEM box...how helpful right...

by the way, taht is exactly what i am looking for. thanks so much

Try a near by gun shop. I got a factory box for a rifle from a local gun shop by me. The more volume they do probably the better. The one by me seemed to have several boxs in the back. The guy at the shop told me they throw a lot of shipping boxs away.

Most of the used guns I have received lately have come in one of the molded, hard plastic, foam-lined cases that Midway and others sell for about $15.00. I think they call them "shipping cases". Probably get one at Bass Pro or something similiar in Houston. Cover it with a cardboard box, or make one if you can't find the right size and you're good to go. Insure that sucker...

I buy and sell used guns all the time. I just get a box large enought and wrap everything up really well in bubble wrap. Much more padding that way. Take the barrel off of the shotgun and wrap the two piece up individually. You can use a smaller box that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they said to go get an OEM box...how helpful right...

by the way, taht is exactly what i am looking for. thanks so much </div></div>

what 317 said, i ship guns back to manufactures all the time without oem box to include browning. go to a local gun shop and ask for a gun box and bubble wrap. ship it that way, it should come back in a oem box if going to browning.

well, turns out one of the gunshops in town will send it for me for free
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, turns out one of the gunshops in town will send it for me for free
laugh.gif

</div></div>

By contract with certain manufacturers, whether the firearm was purchased at the shop or not, the gun shop has to send back their firearms for warranty. The problem is, most gun shops will not do this. Mostly due to A&D, every firearm in the book opens up for a penalty with BATF.

this one is Carters country, in houston, normally they can be difficult to work with, but i called them and asked if i could pick up an browning s/a box without a home and they said just bring it on in and they would just send it off for me no questions asked, no price involved. That means i don't have to pay to insure it or anything. I guess i can forgive their higher prices on certain things
laugh.gif