• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sending my new build back to William Roscoe!!!

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Haven't even got a scope mounted on it yet and decided to turn it in to a .308/.260 swap barrel rifle! I will be ordering the new barrel in the next week or so and having it shipped straight to William.

Here are my plans.. Order 260 fluted blank and have William cut it to 24 inches and gunkote it OD. Then have him remove the 308 barrel and cut it down to 18.5 inches with brake.

What do ya'll think? I plan on using the 260 barrel to shoot matches with and the 308 for hunting.

Here is pic as it sits..... This rifle is flawless as is but I want a 260 now also and this is the cheaper route.

153tu91.jpg

Re: Sending my new build back to William Roscoe!!!

Im running a switch barrel setup the exact same as your 2 barrel choices. 18 inch 308 and a 24 inch 260, the idea of a switch barrel rifle is awesome, but the reality it kinda sucks having to keep up with headspace, different zeros, making sure the torque setting is the same, and the ass pain of taking the action out of the stock and spinning a new tube on. When this 308 tube gives up ill just have another rifle built in 308 and have seperate rifles. YMMV though

Sounds like a great plan to me. I have two Rem 700's, one is a 20" .308 and the other is a 24" .260. I really like both barrel lengths, and wouldn't mind going shorter on the .308 if I didn't occasionally go long with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im running a switch barrel setup the exact same as your 2 barrel choices. 18 inch 308 and a 24 inch 260, the idea of a switch barrel rifle is awesome, but the reality it kinda sucks having to keep up with headspace, different zeros, making sure the torque setting is the same, and the ass pain of taking the action out of the stock and spinning a new tube on. When this 308 tube gives up ill just have another rifle built in 308 and have seperate rifles. YMMV though</div></div>

Exactly what I've ran into as well, switch barrels just never get switched. I'll bet $1 that this gun will stay a 260 pretty much all the time once it's done.

You would probably use a switch scope set up before a switch barrel.

The 308 barrel will be for hunting only..... s 3 months out the year it will be on the action. Other than that, the 260 barrel will on it. I'll have dope cards for both calibers using the same scope.

WJ, i said the same thing. Ill only use the 308 for shooting local matches and "plinking" it turns out it didnt work that way. The 308 tube is hanging out in the bedroom. I had the 6x47 tube before that, it never left the box that i got it in. But if you are dead set on it, id have William take the 308 tube off and throw it on a cheap 700 action if you can find one, and just have a "beater huntin gun" then have the 260 as a match gun.

Sounds like your addicted to custom rifles & shooting - much like the rest of us!!!

Just build another rifle and don't waist your time with a switch barrel or rebarrel the 308. Like the guys say, you will never change it once you start shooting the 260.

I tried the switch barrel thing and it was to much of a hassel and I liked the one caliber over the other so I just shot it most the time.

Once you shoot the 260 you will not go back to the 308 very often. The 260 will do everything better than the 308 with less recoil. I still have my 308 but hardly shoot it much anymore.

I will always have a 308 but I love shooting the 260s. I just had my 308 cut down to 20"s for a can so I may shoot it more now but I know if I cut down the 260 the 308 will probably go back on the rack again.

My F-class rig is a switch barrel and switching barrels takes me about 10 minutes. I have a barrel vise that is mounted on a 3 foot long 2" square metal tubing that slides into my receiver on my truck. The barrels are witness marked that lines up with the pin on the recoil lug. Allows me to different rounds based on range and wind conditions and also switch between practice barrels that have more rounds and save newer barrels for competitions.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My F-class rig is a switch barrel and switching barrels takes me about 10 minutes. I have a barrel vise that is mounted on a 3 foot long 2" square metal tubing that slides into my receiver on my truck. The barrels are witness marked that lines up with the pin on the recoil lug. Allows me to different rounds based on range and wind conditions and also switch between practice barrels that have more rounds and save newer barrels for competitions.

wade </div></div>

Basicly the same setup I had engineered in my head.....would love to see some pics of the setup.

I think you are wise to send it back before you shoot it, because if you did, you might like it so much that you wouldn't do the switch-barrel, but an entirely new rifle. Not that that would be a bad thing, but if you are going to do a switch-barrel go ahead before cooler heads prevail.

Regardless, WR puts out a darn fine product.

The reason I am doing this instead of building a new rifle is to save money.

i do not know why u do not use it as u designed it ive got three main barrels that range from 33806 AI to 25 06 and a 280 and a 6.5 06 all based on the o6 AI then three cal in the mag a 25x264 and a 7mm mag and a 300 win mag all on a savage action its not a bad set up and takes no time at all to change out Wil

Why not just leave it as is, you should be able to get out there pretty good with the 155grn scenars, and just have him tune up a good hunting gun for you, maybe even in the same caliber.

I've seen some lightweight tactical hunters that some smiths have done, they look great, shoot great... and I'm thinking about having some work done to my old scratched stock salvage .270 with a Nikon buckmaster mil-dot that has taken a few dear and hog, most of them DRT, even some hogs in almost total darkness.

It's a featherweight, so I can walk for miles w/it... just needs a more comfy stock and better trigger.

very nice rifle , but i have to agree with others in that the switchbarrel isnt practical. not suggesting you dont do it if its what you want. just realize that 99% chance you arent going to use both barrels . i would go with the 260 for hunting and comps , personaly . regardless you will have a great rifle .
good luck , adam

I have been kicking around your same problem for a while. Guess what Im going to get a new .308 and rebarrel my current KMW .308 to .260. If you have to have a switch barrel go for it. After I shook everything out Im happier with my decision. good luck