• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sensitivity questions of IMR 4895

CoCaDoRi

revived old guy
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2001
South Central North Dakota
I have a load for the 308 with IMR 4895.. it shoots light out, I mean lights out, with ES in the low low single digits.

However, I am a RL and Hodgdon fan and have little experience with IMR stuff. I've heard it is very temp sensitive.

Looking for feedback as my temp swings can be... 40* in a given day.

Reactions: Buck L
Re: Sensitivity questions of IMR 4895

Bro
Myself N WIl shot HOT IMR LOADS thru several TX summers zero issues, ya just gotta be smart about it.

I hear ya, but I don't get the low low es with varget. H 4895 gives some great results, but again...not the low es like IMR.

Past 400 my vertical is near nada.

In VA, we also have 40F temp swings in the summer days.

I consider IMR-4895 to be fairly temp sensitive. Not as much as RamShot TAC, but it's still noticeable. I have some data that shows > 1 fps / degree.

I am quite pleased with the lot to lot consistency, but I still prefer H4895. It does much better with the temp swings.

balkpark es?

ballpark vertical at distance...

asking cause I'm not real happy with RL at this point. I can't find a load to get es to stay low where I like it.

I prefer IMR4895's lot to lot consistency to Varget's.

I shot XTC service rifle and the bifference between my summer zero and my winter zero was 1-1.5 moa with 4895. That's 223 at 500yds in Phx, AZ (winter mornings:40's, summer mornings:100's).

I don't run the edge of the envelope on the pressure end in my 308, 7-08 or 223, so I have had zero problems with IMR4895.

Weda,I have used IMR4895 for service rifle(M1-a)for years form Georgia to Camp Perry with no problems. I have no experience with this powder in a bolt gun and the load that I use is not a max load.