• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sent back my IOR yesterday(upgrade advice needed)

.257wby

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
<span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE!

I have been offered the following options by IOR to upgrade from my old scope, they also offered to repair my old scope as well. Let me know what you guys think, any advice would really be appreciated.

4-14's

2nd focal capped turrets <span style="font-style: italic">$250</span>
http://www.valdada.com/product/f97b1fa1-9514-42fe-905d-9cf48839182c.aspx

2nd focal big ass exposed turret
1/4moa <span style="font-style: italic">$500</span>
mil <span style="font-style: italic">$600</span>
http://www.valdada.com/product/6bc60426-b290-4d5b-9053-35e59579e645.aspx

3-18 FFP Mil/mil not illuminated snipershide edition $700
http://www.valdada.com/product/2db3f757-a005-4e3d-a442-ea0370a2a1a8.aspx

4-16 FFP mil/mil (the new one) digital illumination $900
http://www.valdada.com/product/79b4d784-1527-47ce-9767-bc77c59b2860.aspx</span>

Went to the range, cranked it to 14x and couldnt get the AO parallax to focus at 100 yards(I tried eyepiece focus). Seemed to only get close to focus towards the infinity end of the range for actual distance of 100 yards. Then when I finally shot it, it was shooting 5 feet right...

I'm really hoping that IOR's customer service has improved as much as everyone says... It's the old 4-14 AO FFP.

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this, or think that IOR will take care of it even though it is an older scope

also has anyone heard of the .5inch turrets actually being in mils? Mine seems to be mismarked.

Re: Sent back my IOR yesterday....

Sorry to hear about your the issues with your IOR. Personally I would never be able to trust that scope again. Every time I'm tempted to try something new I read stories like this. The only way I'd switch from my NF F1 is if I replaced it with a S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hear about your the issues with your IOR. Personally I would never be able to trust that scope again. Every time I'm tempted to try something new I read stories like this. The only way I'd switch from my NF F1 is if I replaced it with a S&B. </div></div> because NF and S&B never have problems.

I have never had a problem with my IOR but seems lately everyone who has got taken care of very well and very quick.

IOR will take care of the problem, they have a lifetime warranty as long as you haven't messed with the scope.

I forsee an offer to trade up to a newer model for some out of pocket difference.

they will most likely offer to replace your old one with one of the new gen 4's for a discounted price. i highly suggest you take this offer. the gen4's whole diff animal, they are tanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hear about your the issues with your IOR. Personally I would never be able to trust that scope again. Every time I'm tempted to try something new I read stories like this. The only way I'd switch from my NF F1 is if I replaced it with a S&B. </div></div> because NF and S&B never have problems.

I have never had a problem with my IOR but seems lately everyone who has got taken care of very well and very quick. </div></div>

I've never heard of a NF or S&B missing five feet to the right. But maybe you can enlighten the Hide with your vast knowledge of NF and S&B failures?

ps , if its got pushbutton illumination your GTG

fortunately that is what I have been hearing. This is my only nice scope that completes my only precision rig so if this scope doesn't come back working I'm screwed as far as long range goes.

To be fair, this is a pretty old scope, I hear that the new models are finally durable enough....It sure would be easy to rule out IOR if their glass wasn't so damn good. Hopefully the rest of the scope is just as good now...

I think some people actually got the new versions when they turned older ones in for warranty work, don't hold me to that though.

I would love to get a new one, but being a college student with less than zero money and 'out of pocket' don't really go together.

I was barely able to afford the other scope when I bought it.
I just looked on IOR's website, and it looks like all of their new 4-14 scopes are second focal plane. WTF? Am I gonna have to downgrade from 5+ year old scope. Maybe there's a reason they don't offer a 4-14 ffp anymore....

Is FFP really as necessary as I think it is? Why would a euro company even make a 2nd focal plane. I guess I have been out of the loop to long. Things have changed since I bought the other scope, thankfully IOR's customer service is among them.

No I meant that IOR sent a new scope as a replacement at no cost I think. You would have to search for the threads though to see, my memory is not razor sharp currently.

If/when they give you the "pay X amount" for an upgraded scope ask if he has any reconditioned or old stock, he had some mil mil ffp 2.5-10 scopes for 850 awhile back.

edit: and yes I hear you on the glass quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I meant that IOR sent a new scope as a replacement at no cost I think.</div></div>

I had an older 2.5-10 FFP where the eyepiece started to unscrew, I had my fingers crossed for a BNIB one with the 5mil per turn turrets but got my old one back fixed instead.

A new one would be awesome, but I really want ffp. Still can't believe that out of their whole line of 4-14 scopes, not one is ffp.

I might take out a loan to pay the difference for the 3-18 or 6-24 though
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A new one would be awesome, but I really want ffp. Still can't believe that out of their whole line of 4-14 scopes, not one is ffp.

smirk.gif
</div></div>

In "IOR years" your scope is ancient. Good scope back in its day but the scopes made in the last 2 years are light years ahead of that one. Not sure what will be done here but there are no scopes to replace yours with in inventory, as that model has been discontinued.

Call Scott at Valdada today (Friday) and discuss your options with him. His number is 303-979-4578

The new 4-16x50 FFPs will be here in quantity very soon and that may be an option for you

Scott

Called Scott, he just told me to send it in there wasn't really any indication as to what would be done, I'm just anxious to see what happens.
To be honest, I rather liked my ancient scope--except for the mismarked turrets-- but I'm sure the new ones are better. Never owned a 2nd focal plane tactical scope and just don't want to have to deal with switching from ffp. The new scope you speak of sounds great, wonder why they ever got away from ffp in the first place.

If this experience goes well I will definitely be ordering another IOR from you in the future

American tactical shooters didn't want that FFP business. It made ne sense to them to have a reticle that got bigger, they also had to start using .25 inch adjustments because those damn Europeans were using yhose jacked up "metric" measurements.

Kinda funny isn't it?

Just saw a member who has one of those 4-16x50 ffps that Scott mentioned. Looks awesome. Fingers crossed. Hoping I hear something early next week.

Also, on an AO scope, should the parallax ring ever go past the infinity mark?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A new one would be awesome, but I really want ffp. Still can't believe that out of their whole line of 4-14 scopes, not one is ffp.

smirk.gif
</div></div>

In "IOR years" your scope is ancient. Good scope back in its day but the scopes made in the last 2 years are light years ahead of that one. Not sure what will be done here but there are no scopes to replace yours with in inventory, as that model has been discontinued.

Call Scott at Valdada today (Friday) and discuss your options with him. His number is 303-979-4578

The new 4-16x50 FFPs will be here in quantity very soon and that may be an option for you

Scott

</div></div>

There you go takin care of people again.
Scott's customer svc is in a league of its own.
stand up guy for sure.ior ows you a great deal of gratitude

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range, cranked it to 14x and couldnt get the AO parallax to focus at 100 yards(I tried eyepiece focus). Seemed to only get close to focus towards the infinity end of the range for actual distance of 100 yards. Then when I finally shot it, it was shooting 5 feet right...

I'm really hoping that IOR's customer service has improved as much as everyone says... It's the old 4-14 AO FFP.</div></div>

Seems like i am hearing this more and more often now a days, And this is not the only forum that's talking about issues with IOR.

Whether their customer service has improved or not it would seem as if their quality control needs to improve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paramil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range, cranked it to 14x and couldnt get the AO parallax to focus at 100 yards(I tried eyepiece focus). Seemed to only get close to focus towards the infinity end of the range for actual distance of 100 yards. Then when I finally shot it, it was shooting 5 feet right...

I'm really hoping that IOR's customer service has improved as much as everyone says... It's the old 4-14 AO FFP.</div></div>

Seems like i am hearing this more and more often now a days, And this is not the only forum that's talking about issues with IOR.

Whether their customer service has improved or not it would seem as if their quality control needs to improve. </div></div>

Before showing your ignorance, educate yourself on the development of IOR's product line over the last few years.
Older product had reliability issues according to some. The newer product, past 2-3 years, is working just fine IME. I have owned IOR (8-9 of them) since '05 an had no issues.
In technology years, the 4-14 FFP scope that the OP has issues with is ancient…..the users manual was probably written in hieroglyphics.

the gen 4 IOR are GTG. Mine works great being dropped and banged around still works. I have to agree it is not close to compare the old IOR from 4 years ago to the new generation. I think they will take care of the op

I wish, USPS delivered the scope to IOR on saturday but its a PO box so who knows when they will actually pick it up.

Also, I just want to say that the reason I posted this thread was not to give an example of an IOR scope breaking or give a testament to IOR's quality. As has been reiterated, this is definitely an older scope. With this scope's age I consider it likely that a scope this old from any other manufacturer could have problems.
<span style="font-weight: bold">If they fix/replace this old scope at no cost I don't think you could have a better testament to their customer service</span>

The reason I posted here was because I considered this scenario to offer an opportunity to test IOR's customer service. I too have heard the horror stories of old as well as the extremely positive response to IOR's new products and customer service. This is kind of the ultimate test for me. As I have said earlier, I like a lot of things about IOR's scopes. I am hoping to add customer service to that list. If IOR has my back I wouldn't mind buying another scope from them.
<span style="font-weight: bold">With all of the negative press IOR has gotten I just wanted to provide an actual example of their customer service. </span>

I will definitely keep you guys updated, like I said, crossing my fingers.

They probably got it today or tomorrow, the Reno Show was this weekend and the IOR guys are usually there. Call the number on the Valdada website tomorrow morning 10AM or so and ask.

Ok I'll call them tomorrow. Although I never like to be the annoying guy, but I'm pretty anxious/I really need a working scope.

funny to run into this post. I'm about to mail mine in this week for service aswell. I have 6-24x50(SFP) that I purchased last year and mounted on a Semi auto .308. I too am having a bit of an issue with parallax but my problem is that it loses focus whenever the rifle is charged and requires me to re-adjust the parallax. It also happens when you fire a string of shots (lets say 5-10). The knob itself is not moving so I guess something is just came lose inside. I called them and they seemed very corteous. They just advised to mail it in with a letter expaining my issues.

I sent mine back and IOR took care of me by sending me a new scope in less than 2 weeks.

I had a problem with a $2700 retail scope from "another company" well known here on the Hide. It still wasn't quite right when I received it. The process took a month.

I called IOR, got a quick answer on the phone. Guy was very nice, said that since I sent it insured they had to sign a slip before the mailman could deliver it. Sounded like there was an issue with the post office. Mailman should be bringing it to them today, hopefully around 2pm mountain time.

So far, customer service has been excellent.

Anyone who is bad mouthing IOR's quality hasn't owned one in the last few years. I have two and will be buying a third shortly. The glass is great, the reticle is probably the easiest to use in the world and they absolutely stand behind their products, no questions asked.

I had a 3-18x42 Snipershide GEN 1 FFP that lost ability to keep image in focus on my 300 WM. This happened less than a week before my Elk Hunt this November. Since I am local I was able to drop by and they swapped me into a 3.5-18x50 for a very very very reasonable dollar amount right there on the spot. Can't ask for better customer service than that. Val and Scott are both great guys in my experience. And the new 3.5-18x50 is spectacular.

Wegner, I had an eleven year old scope from IOR, started to have problems with parallax, sent it in to Val, I got it back quickly in perfect working condition. The scope continues to amaze those who look through it,with it clarity and brightness, as mentioned above the reticle is simple and easy to use, I look forward to buying another one of these fine scopes some day.

Just got off the phone with Scott at IOR. super nice guy, enjoyed talking with him. Bottom line is he offered to either send it in for full repair or allow me to upgrade to one of the new models. He said the 4-16 would be an option but only if I wanted to pay $800 to upgrade--a little steep. He said he would look around to see if there were any other scopes laying around that he could give me a better deal on.

Hoping I can get something else for a little cheaper. 800 did seem pretty high to upgrade especially since it's the closest thing to the one I have but he did offer to repair mine for free so I can't complain too much. The new one may be $800 more scope but thats tough to swallow on a college budget. Hoping he might find an
older/refurb 3-18 somewhere and give me a deal
smile.gif

Bearsniper, exactly which IOR do you have, you said a FFP 4-14 AO FFP, is that the model with the side focus T4-14x50 or the older model with the larger front end and illuminated reticle.

Front end illuminated reticle. I actually really liked it although I found the reticle to be too thick.

Anyone have any advice, I'm considering going with the new 4-14 with capped turrets but that means I give up FFP and mil/mil adjustments...for a much newer/updated scope. I would love to get the new 4-16 but $900 seems kind of like a ripoff especially since it's the closest thing offered to my scope features wise.

I guess getting my old one repaired makes the most sense, but I hate the thick reticle(it's not the mp8 dot) and the really narrow FOV....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any advice, I'm considering going with the new 4-14 with scalped turrets</div></div>

The new 4-14 is mil mil and SFP for 1200 new; if he wants 800 to put you up to a 1600$ scope then logically it would be 400...

yeah, he upped the price I would have to pay for the 4-16 from 800 to 900 so I guess thats where the difference comes in. He basically said he would allow me $800 towards any scope on their website. But those prices are inflated especially considering how cheap IOR's are on the used market.

I wish there was some wiggle room, I thought they were a little high. I explained my situation and tried as hard as I could to get Scott to help me out but he wouldn't. So I guess the prices above are what I'm looking at.

i hate to say it man but your getting a great deal, they have told you you can send in your scope and it will get repaired and sent back to you and seeing as how much you enjoy it it sounds like a fair deal for such an old scope as for upgrading to a newer version scott is working with you on the price, the scope you are looking at is listed as 1,795.00 on their site and he informed you he would give you the scope for 900.00 and valued yours as a trade in at 800.00 1,795.00 minus 800.00 is 995.00 bucks so hes actually giving you another 95.00 bucks off of the price of the new scope. and at 900.00 for the 4-16 its a steal trust me.

Hey Dude--get the new one--fixing the old fart ain't smart. I had an epiphany: Pimp out your girlfriend (and maybe her sister) and if she (and her sister) is really hot you may be able to move up to a March or Hensholdt! However, if we see you running around with a Simmons or Tasco...

I joke--of course. But do yourself a favor and move into the 6-24x56 FFP 35 with the MP-8A-5 mil/mil; shoot 50 or more rounds with that over your Lapua or Edge and get back to us--especially me--as I've been drooling over that scope..I've just gotta haf' it...sniff, sniff...

My vote would be the 3-18x42.. had one only sold it to upgrade to the new 3.5-18x50 its a great scope! It has the perfect magnification range, tracks great, great turrets, great reticle, tough, great glass. One of the best out there IMO and I own two IOR's.

I have decided to get the old one fixed. While I want to upgrade, it wouldn't be very financially wise, I think I can do it much cheaper rather than going through IOR. IOR scopes have the worst resale value of almost any scope I have seen, and deals can be had on used ones. So, I figure I'll sell the old one when I can afford to upgrade and pick up either the 3-18 or 4-16 used. I have seen the 3-18's go for around 1000 or less used, and I figure I could probably get $400-600 or so for my scope when its fixed. I figure I'll have plenty of time while the old one is getting fixed to find the perfect deal. And worst case, the old scope is still FFP, MIL/MIL, illuminated....May not be sexy but it is very serviceable and I'm still learning/trying to get my fundamentals perfect.

Mainly, I don't have the money to spend on a scope right now, I snatched up some of the CZ452's before they discontinued them and am strapped for cash, especially since its the christmas season.

Scott was nice enough to give me a loaner scope as it sounds like mine will be away for a very long time, the loaner is a 4-14 SFP, the capped turret one. Overall, I would say IOR's customer service has been good. You have to stay on them a little because they can be a bit forgetful when it comes to calling you back. Ultimately they seem willing to take care of you. I have been hesitant to buy an IOR in the past, especially at the high new prices, but I am less leery now that I know they stand behind their products. Getting upgraded for free or cheap would have been great, but at least they seem to stand by their warranty.