• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Serbu BFG50A Improvements

KCD

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2013
Northeast
Well I admit I have not had much time to frequent the forum so I have not been here in a while, but with matters in world politics getting worse I want to ensure I fix any of my problematics firearms before I need them and share my findings. Hence this post. I like so many BFG50a owners have ran the gamut of bent cartridge rims, stuck cases and broken extractors. My BFG50A has been back to Serbu twice. I've also polished my chamber with 20 micron sandpaper on a custom made mandrel. I worked several years for a superfinishing company so I'm sure all the reamer rings are gone from my chamber. I don't have anything bad to say about Serbu's service, that's not what this is about.
Lets face it the gun is over gassed and Mark wont admit it.. It would cost Serbu to much to recall hundreds of rifles and barrel them with a gas system that has a longer delay time prior to extraction. I like Mark am a mechanical engineer and without getting into the weeds of math I will say what everyone can comprehend, " you are perfectly designed for the results you get" Broken Extractors, bent rims on cases, stuck cases. Its clear the firearm has gassing design flaws. I've had chunks of LC case rims ripped right off the case. Factory Barrett and PMC ammo with bent rims,. That said has any other manufacturer ever advised there customers to lube up their ammo so it would extract? Common IMO the gas system is timed incorrectly. Mark has made statements that an adjustable gas block may be available sometime in the future but I can't wait. So bottom line on top is has anyone out there with a BFG50A done any modifications to the gas system to reduce the violent extractions that the gun is noted for? I've got several options I'm thinking of, capping the current gas port and adding a new one further down the barrel then making a longer gas tube, manufacturing my own adjustable gas block and utilizing the factory gas port. Adding an expansion chamber to the current gas tube in order to stall/delay the gas pressure pulse to the bolt. The last option is the less risk to factory parts and to me makes the most sense. I may couple it with an adjustable gas block. I'm hoping to work on this soon but I don't want to re invent the wheel if someone has already fixed Marks flaws. Now before we get into debates on breaking in the rifle I've put almost 1000 rounds through my Serbu and I'm very disappointed that I have to run reduced loads all the time. My goal is to tune a load for less than 1MOA. Thanks in advance for feedback.

I had a Serbu BFG50. The bolt gun. Had several issues from new including a 10 lbs trigger and the bolt hitting the hammer to the point you couldn’t close it without pressing the hammer down with finger.

Serbu said the trigger could be swapped out for a better one at addition cost ($200 or something of that nature) I’d also have to pay to send them the inoperable rifle and they’d pay the shipping back

Fired some Lehigh and 750 Amax bullets out of it and it was a 1.5 MOA gun

I bought an Armalite AR50A1 after having the Serbu about a month. The Armalite put it to shame. Swapped the trigger out with standard AR trigger parts so the bolt would operate and sold it. Along with the bipod that left a lot to be desired

I do remember while researching my issues a bunch of people having the issues your having with the autos. Pre lubing them to make the gun function

Best of luck with your Serbu. I wasn’t sorry to see mine go. They do get some love on here tho so others experiences must be better than ours

One note on the trigger. I sent the receiver out to Trigger specialties when I first purchased the rifle and they worked their magic. the rifle's safety now rotates an additional 15 0r 20 degrees past the fire position when manually pushed to that point. doing so sets the trigger to a bit less than 2lbs. if you just throw the safety to the fire position the pull is around 4ish plus. Much better than the Serbu factory pull. At the time I spent 300 for the trigger work. it was worth every penny.

Reactions: renov8
you should pm shoots100 on this site. He bought an extra gas block from serbu and made his own adjustable gas block. He also mentioned welding gas tube to gas block. He has a lot of experience fine tuning his BFG50A and other 50 bmg rifles.

Reactions: camocorvette
Any updates? You might be able to buy a gas block from Serbu and send it to gas block company to see if they can make an adjustable gas block. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a small valve on the gas tube.....

I hear that the Kentucky Ballistics guy from the youtubes is parting one out.
Less one of the ears that was holding that pipe together....that’s a loss he’ll have to swallow 🤪

in Market for a bfg50a if anyone has one or knows where one is.

Hi,

Hope you have your new residence purchase completed because California Penal Code 30610 and California Penal Code 30600 pretty much says you should stop looking if you haven't finished your move out of California.

Might be the first time a California law may actually save someone...........

Sincerely,
Theis

The 50a I have been shooting, seems to have teething issues. Can't go through 4 rounds without some kind of failure. I've had double feed, failure to extract , failure to pick up the next round, and failure to reset the trigger, failure to fire on fully chambered round (no primer strike). Going to try different ammo.