• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Serbu Semi-Auto 50BMG arrived (pic)

TonyRumore

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2006
Inola, OK
www.tromix.com
Just got the thing yesterday. I will be taking it out either Friday or Saturday to try it out.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

SerbuA.jpg

Re: Serbu Semi-Auto 50BMG arrived (pic)

WOW!! I didn't even realize that Mark was still working on these rifles!

Look forward to a range report...especially at extended ranges. How are you planning on setting it up in terms of optics/mounts?

There was a running joke on FCSA and Biggerhammer that it was coming out in a week or two for 6 or 7 years. Good to see they got the bugs worked out or whatever it was that delayed production.

That is pretty nifty, I will be interested in hearing how it performs.

very nice looking rifle. the gas tube looks so tiny compared to the rest of the rifle.

we need a video of you shooting it off hand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyRumore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got the thing yesterday. I will be taking it out either Friday or Saturday to try it out.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

SerbuA.jpg
</div></div>

Why this one over a Barrett? Just curious?

I really don't like repeating things I read on the internet, but I figure its better than nothing for those that are curious.
(and considering I have one on order, I'll provide a more detailed review when mine comes in)

One of the major advantages that the serbu has over the barrett is that gas block. The serbu does not use a reciprocating barrel like the m82, so it is supposedly more accurate than a barret. It is advertised as MOA or less with the right ammo.
It uses the already reliable barrett mags, so no new untested mags to screw around with. (A good decision IMO)
If you look carefully, the forearm area is slimmer than the M82. It doesn't need as much support due to the lack of the barrel shims that are used on the barrett.
Supposedly there are less moving parts and things to wear out or break compared to the M82. Hopefully this means a tougher rifle and a longer parts life.
And of course the price, intro price was 5700, a buttload cheaper than any used and especially new m82.

Please do give us a more detailed report Tony!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't like repeating things I read on the internet, but I figure its better than nothing for those that are curious.
(and considering I have one on order, I'll provide a more detailed review when mine comes in)

One of the major advantages that the serbu has over the barrett is that gas block. The serbu does not use a reciprocating barrel like the m82, so it is supposedly more accurate than a barret. It is advertised as MOA or less with the right ammo.
It uses the already reliable barrett mags, so no new untested mags to screw around with. (A good decision IMO)
If you look carefully, the forearm area is slimmer than the M82. It doesn't need as much support due to the lack of the barrel shims that are used on the barrett.
Supposedly there are less moving parts and things to wear out or break compared to the M82. Hopefully this means a tougher rifle and a longer parts life.
And of course the price, intro price was 5700, a buttload cheaper than any used and especially new m82.

Please do give us a more detailed report Tony!
</div></div>

I don’t know a whole lot about different brand .50BMG’s aside from some day I want one because they are ridiculous. I’m not even in the “research” stage yet. Thanks for your insight. The price is a lot easier to swallow, that’s for sure. I would guess that you pay a premium for a Barrett because they are the DOD’s supplier and you always seem to pay a premium when the DOD is a customer. From what I have seen Colt AR’s are considerably more expensive than their equals from other manufacturers. It would be nice if this BMG was on level ground with the Barrett but without the DOD premium pricing.

At this price I’m far more likely to get one. I look forward to a report on how it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sqidd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
From what I have seen Colt AR’s are considerably more expensive than their equals from other manufacturers. It would be nice if this BMG was on level ground with the Barrett but without the DOD premium pricing.
</div></div>
Not as much as you would think. With the Colts you can be sure that ALL components in it are top quality. Quality costs money. There is a price to be paid on the name but I don't think it is as much as most may think