• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Serial Number Missing

andrews1958

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Maine/Africa
I have an older 30-40 spoterized Krag that I plan on selling but I can not find a serial number on it. Is this required for a sale of a firearm to be legal? Did rifles have a serial number on them back in that era?

GCA68 is the hard fast deadline for a required serial number on a firearm. I have an late 50s shotgun with no serial number. If I remember correctly, the atf says to use the model number in any required paperwork IF if still requires any for transfer.

Reactions: Romeo458
Yes, I think they were numbered and it should be where circled in the picture.

i-sJfZz72.jpg

Reactions: clcustom1911
I have a couple that are older and pre serialized required. If it has an obvious obliteration there is a problem, otherwise no.

Reactions: Foul Mike
I have a half dozen Winchester Model 67 and 68s to give my kids/ grandkids when they get older. Not a one has a serial number on it...and that's one of the reasons why I got them. I also have a Remington 510 that is the same.

Model number and 'pre 68' were all that was needed on the 4473 for the last two I purchased.

I had a Stevens 12 gauge side by side shotgun that didn't have any serial number on it. Even the gunsmith I took it to couldn't find one.

All of my wallhangers do not have serial numbers. But most of them are around the 1900 era.

Serial numbers weren't required before 68, but it is a problem if it had a serial number originally and it was removed. In your case a US Model 1898 did originally have a serial number as Badfinger illustrated.