• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Serious Leupold vs Nightforce question**UPDATE**

LSOSGT1109

Demoted by the change
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
London, KY
I need some serious input from some of you guys with experience with both of these scopes. I currently have a Leupy MK4 4.5-14X50 on my M40A1. I use this rifle on duty so the fact that I may have to use this rifle to save a life makes the decisions I make about this rifle very important. I have the opportunity to pick up a new NXS 3.5-15X50 with the NPR1 reticle for $1250. I personally like the NXS better than the MK4 for at least three reasons. The glass, to me anyway is better. The turrets feel more positive and it has an illuminated reticle. In order to get this scope I would need to sell my MK4, which has served me well. In your experienced opinions do you see any downside to this decision? I know the Leupy vs Nightforce subject has been beat to death here and I know there are folks on both sides of the fence. I'm nearly convinced that this is a good move, I'm just wondering if any of you guys think otherwise.

Well I sold the Leupy and bought the NXS today. With some help from my dealer, I got it mounted and zeroed. First 3 shot group after firing 6 rounds to zero was a .456 in the pouring rain! I love it! Here's a pic of the rifle and new scope.
000_0428.jpg

Re: Serious Leupold vs Nightforce question

No down side NSX is a better product especially as of late, and I own both.

Own both, like both. See no "downside" to your decision, but would take no more (or less) comfort having one over the other. To me, NXS gets the nod simply because of matching adjustments/reticles (and reticle choices). I haven't had a problem out of either, though I will admit that I haven't bought a new Mark 4 in several years.

no downside to the nxs........I have owned both and have shot both. I even tend to like the leupolds a bit more. Not because they are a better product, but because i am familiar with them. I agree with many that leupold has failed to keep their product up with their price and for value and pure performance, NF is king at that price point.

But, having said that and since you're looking for perspectives, I will throw this out there:

is there anything your leupold hasn't done for you? Does your system shoot well? If your scope/rifle/stock/mounts/ect/ect set up is working well for you I would say leave it alone. I imagine I am not alone in having experienced the "i-will-tweak-this-system-that-is-working-great-to-get-it-to-be-better-but-now-i-screwed-it-up-somehow" syndrom.

The small gain in performance you might get in switching a component needs to be balanced with the potential loss of confidence and comfort in your system as a whole. Not saying its not a good move, but just saying this is one more factor to consider.

If you run BC covers, the cover will rotate when you adjust magnification ring on the NF.

I have recently bought a nightforce 3.5-15x50 with NPR1 reticule. Very nice glass, clearer and brighter than my leupolds. I like the the R1 reticle but the cross hairs are very thin. Even compared to the leupold fine duplex, the nightforce cross hairs are thinner/finner. I tend to like the leupold fine duplex reticle for this reason.

i traded up Mk4 for USO, no harm no foul.
pass the leup along to someone on a budget moving up from a super sniper, keep sales of NEW leupolds down
wink.gif

I own both and prefer my Nightforces, for the main reasons that you have already stated. They are tough as nails and very reliable.

One thing you might want to consider is you're going from a mil standard reticle to an MOA type reticle. I personally like the NP-R1 over mil-dots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you run BC covers, the cover will rotate when you adjust magnification ring on the NF. </div></div>

Really, so the whole eye piece turns not a power ring like on the Leupold? Not sure I would like that. Had it once on a Burris and was the primany reason I got rid of it.

I run Leupolds on my rifles and they work for me because I am familiar with them. NF has very good quality but Leupold fits my budget better.

I just remove the BC cap, also I find it alot easier to turn up or down the magnification because I don't have to find anything, the whole ass end is it

I also am looking for a new optic and have been considering the different brands that are available. I currently have Leupold Mark 4's in 3.5-10x40 FFP and 8.5-25x50. I really like the U.S.Optics SN3, the Premier and Heinsoldt (tactical Zeiss)but I am having a hard time stepping into that price range. There is some new stuff on the market or soon to be on the market in the next 6 months. New Tactical Models from Weaver. New Tactical Models from Super Sniper including a 3-9 variable and a 10x HD with improved quality glass. Also Trijicon has introduced a line of tactical scopes 5x - 20x50. I had a TR23R in hand and upon examination I really liked the glass the clicks on the knobs and the feel of the power selector ring the down side for me being that it only has 50 moa of internal adjustment. The fiber optic & tritium illuminated reticle using post with illuminated triangle on top is very fast to acquire a target. I had some issues with the appearance of the two lines forming the post and returned it to Trijicon and am engaged in ongoing discussions with them presently. The post reticles work on the bindon aiming concept and the mil-dot reticles do not, but there is no on off switch and I think the scope merits consideration. I have closely examined the Nightforce optics and I really like the NP-1R reticle MOA based marks. I do not like the reticle lines being as fine as they are for low light use but the illumination does correct the issue as long as your battery works. It drives me nuts that the whole back end of the scope turns to change power since I use lens caps but if using a neoprene scope coat that would not be an issue so I would say that so long as you are aware of the issues up front it's a nice optic. I really think I'd rather have one of the Trijicons and the height of the knobs on the Trijicon is much more reasonable than the Leupold M1 knobs, but the feel of the clicks is much better than Leuold or Nightforce.

After thinking it over and reading some of your opinions, I decided to sell the Leupy and go with the NXS. The Leupy is in the optics for sale section if anyone is interested. I saw the suggestion about a FFP scope but I just can't make myself like a FFP reticle. To me it's too small on the lowest power and too thick on the highest. I dial my corrections 99 percent of the time and use a laser range finder for ranging 99 percent of the time so the need for FFP isn't that great for me. Thank you guys for your imput.

Chuck

I had a NF 8x32 and didn't like it at all, Got rid of it and went back to my tried and true Leo. 8x25. It is allot better scope for me, and thats all that counts. Every one has a favorite and this is mine. It's a older Leo. scope and very clear. The NF was hard to get a picture thru quickly. Had to be just right. If I was going to spend the money then I would buy a US Optics. Can't find the good Leo's anymore.

You'll be happy with the NXS, I have that same model and love it, its a great scope!

When I sold my MK4 to buy a NF, I didn't like the way the ocular bell turned with the power adjustment. Now, I like it alot, you just reach up and turn the whole bell, no fumbling around with a power ring. You can set the BC cap up so that it doesn't get in your way. I wish NF would have made teh NXS compacts the same way. The fine reticle on the NF makes it easier for me to shoot well.

-dan

The Nightforce is a great scope and you will not go wrong with them. Leupold are very nice also and for the price the Leupold are hard to beat. I feel Nightforce are better scopes than Leupold.

Mike

Chuck,

Just returned from a class at RO and was able to put the FFP into good use. In that you are also using this as a duty rifle I would recomend you try a multiple target engagment (UKD) or a "run and gun" The FFP really begins to shine when you have multiple things going on, doing hold over/under, wind, mover, etc. This is when the FFP has alot of upside.

And get matced reticle/knobs......

From the scopes I have looked through and used, I would have to rate the glass as follows:

1. Swarovski
2. Nightforce NXS
3. Bausch and Lomb 4200
4. Leupold VX-III

I don't know how much better the MK-4 is than the V-XIII, as I have no experience with them. The Nightforce build quality is unbelieveable. From the ones I have looked through, I do not care for the Leupold, so I would think the Nightforce would be a nice upgrade. I can tell you that I don't think you will be disappointed if you make the switch.

I have the Leupold Mk4 mil-dot 6.5-20X50 and the NXS 3.5-15X56 NPR1.
The difference is clear, especially when using them as makeshift spotting scopes. The NXS is clearer and brighter and the crosshairs are excellent for ranging and holdovers.
With the 1-moa divisions on the elevation crosshair; no need to touch the turrets within reasonable range.
Eye relief is way more forgiving on the NXS as well, the Leupy is much more prone to "blackouts" around the edge due to head/sight angle, especialy in a stressed situation.

My 0.2. John - out.

From the scopes I have looked through and used, I would have to rate them as follows:

Glass

1. Schmidt & Bender
2. Nightforce NXS and USO
3. IOR
4. Leupold

Cant think of a down side to the NF scopes.

agree, i have a 3.5x15 and 5.5x22 NF NXS great for shooting and hunting, also have a Mark4, but would still have to go with NF in my opinion.

Don't forget all them extra come ups over Leupold....

Only the 3.5-15 and Compact NXS models have as much reticle movement as the Leupold 4.5-14 with 100/100 moa.

The Leupold model 60000 with illum TMR reticle is a very fine upgrade and saves you about about half a pound of top end weight, plus is about 3" shorter. Add in heavier rings which most favor for these 2lb plus NXS scopes and your rifle is noticeably more heavy.

3.5-15s have 110 MOA of elevation and the 5.5-22s have 100 MOA. You have to start getting to the 8-32 before it drops to 65 MOA. I don't care about wind as I hold that any way
wink.gif
But the 3.5-15s have 80 MOA and the 5.5-22s have 60 MOA.

My rifle is heavy as hell anyway and I'm using the same Badger Max 50 rings that my Leupold was setting in, so the slight weight increase with the NXS is no big deal. The turrets on the NXS are much better than the M1 turrets that were on my Leupold and the glass is a little more clear. Plus I like the NPR1 reticle and a MOA/MOA setup. I'm completely satisfied with my decision so far. I'll be heading to the range Saturday to stretch it's legs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the scopes I have looked through and used, I would have to rate them as follows:

Glass

1. Schmidt & Bender
2. Nightforce NXS and USO
3. IOR
4. Leupold
</div></div>

Wow, don't know that I've seen anyone rate FN above IOR for glass quality. For over-all scope quality, constantly, rated higher, but not usually glass.

Having owned both, I really liked the IOR glass - better than my FN - it's just that everything else wasn't up to snuff.

You'll like the NF, great scopes.

Rancid, I have an IOR 4-14X50 on my LTR and I set them both side by side today. The glass in the NSX looked better to me. Maybe It was just my mind playing tricks on me because I just got the NF but it really looked better. I'll look thru them again after the newness wares off!! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Leupy are fine,but NXS are better </div></div>

x2 and, I've one Mk4 and really liked it but I've now bought 2 NXS's and I LOOOOVE them, the quality has definitely been there and the loopys can be hit or miss. esp the newer model loopys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rancid, I have an IOR 4-14X50 on my LTR and I set them both side by side today. The glass in the NSX looked better to me. Maybe It was just my mind playing tricks on me because I just got the NF but it really looked better. I'll look thru them again after the newness wares off!! LOL </div></div>

It might be newness, it might be that your NF has really great glass or your IOR doesn't, my point was simply that most don't associate NF with particularly great glass. If your NF has great glass, fantastic, it's a keeper for sure!

Re: Serious Leupold vs Nightforce question**UPDATE**

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some serious input from some of you guys with experience with both of these scopes. I currently have a Leupy MK4 4.5-14X50 on my M40A1. I use this rifle on duty so the fact that I may have to use this rifle to save a life makes the decisions I make about this rifle very important. I have the opportunity to pick up a new NXS 3.5-15X50 with the NPR1 reticle for $1250. I personally like the NXS better than the MK4 for at least three reasons. The glass, to me anyway is better. The turrets feel more positive and it has an illuminated reticle. In order to get this scope I would need to sell my MK4, which has served me well. In your experienced opinions do you see any downside to this decision? I know the Leupy vs Nightforce subject has been beat to death here and I know there are folks on both sides of the fence. I'm nearly convinced that this is a good move, I'm just wondering if any of you guys think otherwise.

Well I sold the Leupy and bought the NXS today. With some help from my dealer, I got it mounted and zeroed. First 3 shot group after firing 6 rounds to zero was a .456 in the pouring rain! I love it! Here's a pic of the rifle and new scope.
000_0428.jpg
</div></div>

This may be a stupid question but if it is a duty gun, why are you buying your own shit.

both scopes are amazing. i always revert back to that old statement that you get what you pay for. both scopes are great. buy what you can afford and shoot often. and enjoy it.

Vin, not a stupid question at all. Department will support and authorize the sniper/observer program, just won't pay for it. They'll pay for the training and some ammo but not all of it. My partner strongly believe in the value and importance of a sniper/observer team so we both sank an ass load of our own money and time into it. Call me stupid but I think it's important so I do it!

my dept. is the same way. they buy the ammo and thats it. makes it real hard to get what you need to do the job well.

Sounds like a good enough reason to buy your own rifle! Heck, if someone is paying for the ammo, why not!?

And yeah, you will like the NXS better than the Mk4...I sure do.

John

Wow, that is really hard to believe guys... Bravo Zulu for doing what you do with your own funds. I feel really fortunate to have have my duty rig and 90% of my equipment paid for by the department. Keep up the great work fellas.

It always frustrating to see what the department will and wont spend money on. A lot of it being approved is the way the request is worded. San Antonio SWAT team asked for years for money for rope for rapelling and it was always denied then one year they asked for money for rope to retrive equipment --- BAM APPROVED.