• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Serious rear bag question

1moaoff

Safe space provider? Nope!!!
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2008
    cincinnati, ohio
    If at a match that only allows 1 bag can you use your pack as a support?

Game on gentleman!

You can, but that’s your one bag. I think your squad would laugh you off the match if you tried to argue that.

I thought that was the whole point of prs?

Which part? The squad laughing you off the lane? I wouldn’t know I just go to watch my daughter shoot them.
    3C758861-55A0-4B76-9698-C976997CFD95.jpeg

Everyone else pretty much bends over backwards to help her but other competitors get called out from time to time. Usually very good naturedly.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    Which part? The squad laughing you off the lane? I wouldn’t know I just go to watch my daughter shoot them.
    View attachment 7622243

Everyone else pretty much bends over backwards to help her but other competitors get called out from time to time. Usually very good naturedly.

To do everything possible to not shoot the stage as designed

Weibad Tater Tot...Only bag you'll need. It's HEAVY, but will get you through 90% of what you'll shoot.

Reactions: deersniper
    If at a match that only allows 1 bag can you use your pack as a support?

Game on gentleman!
    As your "one" bag, yes. If you're using another bag then you may not use your bag for additional support.

Reactions: lash
    Finding loopholes is part of the game for sure. But one bag is one bag.
    At my matches, this applies. Gamers will always game, but this is written.

As a funny aside, we once had a Halloween match and told competitors we would have a joke prize if they wore a costume. One guy showed up dressed as a little boy. We had a stage where we had to shoot from a low rail and no bags were allowed. He used his stuffed tiger prop as a support. It was good fun and the MD allowed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can, but that’s your one bag. I think your squad would laugh you off the match if you tried to argue that.
    Err, I've done this, at least twice I remember. Had the squad borrow my pack for that stage. Works well.

Don't be a sheep. Shoot for you and fun, not for confirming to some weird quasi-standard-normal type deal.

Hasn't the military been training and shooting off back packs for 15+ years ?

Err, I've done this, at least twice I remember. Had the squad borrow my pack for that stage. Works well.

Don't be a sheep. Shoot for you and fun, not for confirming to some weird quasi-standard-normal type deal.

Yes, and I sometimes use a pack for support myself, including in matches. But when we state only one bag for support, the pack will be your bag with no additional bags allowed. And don’t lay any of your sheep shit at my doorstep. 😎

Don’t be a sheep? Maybe you missed the part where I said I’ve never shot a PRS match?

I got taught shooting off a pack when I did that school in ‘99. Pretty sure they’ve been doing it much longer than 15 years because it sure wasn’t invented during my class.

Anyway, at the end of the day it’s up to the folks running the match. But if the sheet says one bag, seems pretty straight forward. If you game it to use 17 tripods and your rangefinder under one of the legs and smart phone shoved in the bottom of one of your shoes and it works for you that’s great. It’s all about making better shooters and keeping it fun, right?

Reactions: colodrew and lash
    Yes, and I sometimes use a pack for support myself, including in matches. But when we state only one bag for support, the pack will be your bag with no additional bags allowed. And don’t lay any of your sheep shit at my doorstep. 😎
    One bag, yep, exactly how I ran it.

Reactions: lash
    It’s all about making better shooters and keeping it fun, right?
    A million times this. Most people in Straya know the the shenanigans I get up to during matches, mainly coz it's fun time with mates doing silly shit.

Unfortunately, most MDs write matches that are "ICEng proof". I still find a way to meas with people. Hilarity (and lots of missing) ensues. But it's fun for all involved.

That or the Whisky Charlie? (I just got done with your bag video...)
    Hey GP! Yeah, I love the Whiskey Charlie. BUT, I will tell you that I didn't have the Tator Tot and it was even out when I shot that video. The Tator Tot is about another 1/3 wider and a bit "bigger". So, when you need to really prop the rifle up a bit more so that magazine clears the prop, the TT is the bag. So now I use the TT and for ONE single little window in a shoot house, I use the Milk Toast. Other than that, I'm trying not to use any other bags and keep it simple. Thanks for watching the vid by the way!

Does anyone have the dimensions of the tater tot? I like heavy but I need a 9” bag if I use it as a rear bag

Here you go buddy. I took some shots of it "flattened out", on it's side and then folded so you can get an idea of the height you can get with it.

Attachments

• 20210510_205711.jpg
      20210510_205711.jpg
      389.6 KB · Views: 103
    • 20210510_205729.jpg
      20210510_205729.jpg
      275.1 KB · Views: 102
    • 20210510_205808.jpg
      20210510_205808.jpg
      284.6 KB · Views: 89
    • 20210510_205820.jpg
      20210510_205820.jpg
      303.7 KB · Views: 85
    • 20210510_205845.jpg
      20210510_205845.jpg
      405.5 KB · Views: 81
    • 20210510_205854.jpg
      20210510_205854.jpg
      287.1 KB · Views: 87
    • 20210510_205921.jpg
      20210510_205921.jpg
      356.7 KB · Views: 79
    • 20210510_205940.jpg
      20210510_205940.jpg
      271 KB · Views: 73
    • 20210510_205956.jpg
      20210510_205956.jpg
      349.2 KB · Views: 95
    At my matches, this applies. Gamers will always game, but this is written.

As a funny aside, we once had a Halloween match and told competitors we would have a joke prize if they wore a costume. One guy showed up dressed as a little boy. We had a stage where we had to shoot from a low rail and no bags were allowed. He used his stuffed tiger prop as a support. It was good fun and the MD allowed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    This sounds like Calvin & Hobbes?

69AA296A-5F6E-4D19-B237-C3F99D42BF18.jpeg

I suppose if a fellow really wanted to game, an inflatable bag with multi chambers. Keep inflating (or deflating) chambers till a fellow gets the bag height just right.

Over the years I have pretty much seen every way to cheat, every way the rule makers try to keep people from shooting good and a lot of people on both sides going home mad and never coming back.

So here is a little story. One of our local waterskiiers made it big time (for background, when our son was in high school, he was a nationally ranked water skier so we got to meet and know many of the worlds greatest men and women who skied. Our son was allergic to everything in a horse barn so we had to get out of the horse business. ). Back to the story. One of our local skiers made it to the Big Time. He went to his first Bud Pro Tour Tournament and competed in jump. When he came home, he was all excited. He reported that the drivers all exceeded the recommended speeds and then compensated after the skier made the jump to keep the boat in time allowance.

He reported “They don’t care about the rules, they just want to see everyone jump good”. (Obviously to please the paying spectators)

Its a thought to consider. I’m not saying throw out all rules because Rules are fine, especially rules regarding safety. But its a game and if there is no real money involved, fame and games are supposed to be fun. That is, If its all applied equally.

"must be deployed on the clock". Then you get the RRS one piece tripod. Inflatable bags ? Hah, good luck.

Often as described by @Wiillk that local club matches "flex" a bit, and when the real day comes, many people don't meet expectations. You only cheat yourself.

I ran a 38sec on skill stage 2. It took me nearly 10 attempts to do it, (in a row), and I started standing behind it, I didn't have to walk up 5 Meters.

It was an exercise in movement, checking different positions, knee down, where to place hands, etc. There is NO WAY I can claim to be that fast, even if we had an RO with a timer.

I had fun and wasted lots of ammo at the range with mates. That's always the first objective.

So that was a serious question in a way. It was also to see people just loose their shit.

So the reason for the question is this. Many people are complaining about too many bags and the debate is ongoing.

Last weekend I was shooting positional at a buddies and we had this discussion.

To me( and only my opinion) I would be fine with 1 true bag, I like the idea though of using packs more. I use it when need be (rooftops etc) on props. I find more value in using the bag than the tripod for many positions. The debate will continue im sure but I like the idea of using your pack as a tool.

View attachment 7622243

I have pink feathers on my crossbow arrows because it’s easier to see in the woods after it passes through a deer.

Everyone stops laughing after they see how accurate I am with the crossbow.

Apologies for thread drift.

Before PRS, I used my backpack for all sorts of shooting positions in the field. So what’s wrong with using it for PRS?

Last edited:
    Reactions: iceng
    To me( and only my opinion) I would be fine with 1 true bag, I like the idea though of using packs more. I use it when need be (rooftops etc) on props. I find more value in using the bag than the tripod for many positions. The debate will continue im sure but I like the idea of using your pack as a tool.
    A lot of the first things I learned were from Ryan Cleckner's videos, and I noticed that he actually uses a pack instead of a bipod. I started wondering if I even needed a bipod, but I think that there's some truth to what someone said in another thread- you should probably learn common doctrine before starting to work on things on your own. I guess I'll work on learning with a bipod first, figure out the rest later.

I'm a smedium fan. My buddy is a utterbag (forget the brand), and he loves that. They are all your preference. I just wish some shops carried all the bags so you could try them out before buying.

Reactions: GPtuners
    So that was a serious question in a way. It was also to see people just loose their shit.

So the reason for the question is this. Many people are complaining about too many bags and the debate is ongoing.

Last weekend I was shooting positional at a buddies and we had this discussion.

Meh. You still have to manage 87 bags in the time allotted. Maybe a new category for the butt hurt? You know production class then one or no bag class?

Here you go buddy. I took some shots of it "flattened out", on it's side and then folded so you can get an idea of the height you can get with it.
    Legit pics man. The hide appreciates you. Do you like the no slip or would you just run standard off you were to buy one again?

About to order either a schmedium or a tater tot. Was about to order the tater tot then came across this note in the description. I don’t really want to spend $100 on a bag if it’s going to come apart every year. What are they trying to get across?

NOTE: THIS BAG WAS DESIGNED FOR HEAVY SAND FILL AND IS DESIGNED TO BE A CONSUMABLE DUE TO WIEGHT AND THICKNESS OF FABRIC.

About to order either a schmedium or a tater tot. Was about to order the tater tot then came across this note in the description. I don’t really want to spend $100 on a bag if it’s going to come apart every year. What are they trying to get across?

NOTE: THIS BAG WAS DESIGNED FOR HEAVY SAND FILL AND IS DESIGNED TO BE A CONSUMABLE DUE TO WIEGHT AND THICKNESS OF FABRIC.
    I have to think that is just to cover their ass being waxed canvas and what it’s designed to do. I ended up buying the tater tot. It doesn’t seem any thinner than any other waxed canvas bag I’ve touched and was a freaking awesome bag at the one two day match I’ve used it in so far.

Bags are consumables. They do not last forever. The heavy sand fill is like sand paper on the canvas. If you use it enough, it will fall apart over time. That’s true of any canvas sand filled bag.

If that’s a problem get the light fill. It won’t work as well but it will last.

I’ve worn out about 6 leather/hide bags. Didn’t take too long. Cordura or canvas bags seem to hold up much longer.

My game changer is pretty stable. But it’s not as slip resistant as the waxed canvas. I think you will get plenty of use for $100. The tater tot is SOLID. LIKE Rock solid

Reactions: deersniper
    Do they get holes? Seams split?

mare the cordura bags as stable?
    Both, holes and seam stitching failures. I think fill material and what they make contact with while deployed are the main factors. Waxed canvas so far feels like the best fabric for weatherproofing, durability, and friction against stocks or chassis in use.