• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

serious runners

Mike

Full Member Inflation
Minuteman
How often do you run? Can you run every day and if so, what rest days do you take?

I'm running about 2.5-3 miles a day and am wondering if I can go day after day or how many times I should go before a "rest" day.

My goal is general fitness and be able to do a 5K in a respectable time.

Re: serious runners

Mike

Shoes, running surface, form, weight, and other biomechanical issues will dictate your abiltity to run every day. As long as you are not running on cement or up and down hills every day, s you should be okay. Once you get up to running an hour or more at a time, you need to be more careful.

Beware of Plantar Fascitis and if your run every day, buy atleast another pair of shoes and alternate pairs. Listen to your body and you'll know when you need a rest. One day a week is a good idea. Swimming and biking are good alternatives to running.

Good luck.

I like three day rotations the 4th a rest day, but I ran years for 6 days straight resting on the 7th. If your desire is to run a 5k, I will give you a tip.

Back when I was training for the 8 mile Mackinac Island run and dreaming of a 1/2 marathon, I got some good advice from my uncle who is a marathon runner (in his 70's
grin.gif
). He told me the best way to train was not to run the same distance day in and out but to brake it up. Do (for my 8 mile race) 3miles, 5 miles, 2 miles, day off then run 5 miles, 3 miles and 7 miles, day off. One thing I found doing this is my times went down, before long I had shaved a full minute off my mile time. I added a mile to the above as I got use to the longer distances (was running 3 to 5 miles a day before using his advice) and in the final weeks leading up to the race day I added a 9 mile day. I ended up finishing a full 15 minutes faster than my previous race time...

Great advice!

Fitness is my primary goal as I'll never be fast, or as fast as I was.
So I will run and break it up (mileage) also swimming and biking are in the mix.

My main concern was when I travel, sometimes for 2-3 days at a time, I was hoping I could run every day without it being too detrimental.

Thanks for the help.

Mike,

Up until the past 3 weeks I have been running almost every day, if not every second day.

Not sure what happened exactly but I have some sort of injury in my ankle area that wont go away... not sure if its the Peroneal Tendon or a fractured bone.

Running is probably the most injury prone sport/fitness type you could get into. So for that reason it is important to work out what your body likes in the way of shoes, and also have your running form looked at. It amazes me how many bad runners I see around.

After this latest injury I will have to reevaluate myself as Im not sure what went wrong.

But to me running is one of the greatest joys in life
smile.gif

Theres something about running that distance and finishing up with a decent time, put a smile on your face.

Vin

I run 3-5 miles, 5 days a week, taking the weekends off. Been doing it for years with no problems and I feel great. 95% of my route is on gravel roads. I run in every imaginable weather condition and usually do it around 0230-0300. Weight train in the evenings. Oh, and I'm 34, 6' 240.

I run at least 2.5 miles a day and 10 miles on my days off shift but not two 10 mile days back to back.I don't really go for time anymore just fitness,so running everyday is not a problem.I'm coming back from a knee injury not running related and running is helping alot. If you push hard you'll have to change distance and intensity to rest some. As has been said run on soft sufaces when you can and have back up shoes, good shoes.

Mike, if fitness and 5k in a reasonable time are your goal it is more important to mix up your running than running a consistent distance to a consistent schedule. Muscle memeory isn't a good thing to have in running compared to shooting. Mix it up with sprint work, longer distances possibly and hill work. Get some squats in too if you can. Some days you will be more tired than others. Rest when you need to but pound it out hard when you train.

You can run every day, but listen to what your body is telling you. If something starts hurting, either take a day or 2 off, or slow down on the following runs.

I don't know if i'm considered a seriuos runner, but I usually log between 18-25 miles a week. I also try to lift 3-4 times a week, to keep the muscles and tendons strong. I used to hate running, till I read the book, "Born to Run". I enjoy heading out for a run at 4 am now. I have implemented a lot of the things talked about in the book, which has increased my pace. I plan on signing up with Eric Orton (from the book) when the SHC is over, and work on my form to reduce my chances for injury more. I run in Nike free 3.0's or Vibram 5 Fingers (my 3.25 mile runs). I developed plantar fascitis (sp?) last summer when I tried some orthodics and cush shoes that were recommended to prevent injury. When I run in my 5 fingers it goes away for a couple days. I run fast, slow, long, short, depending on what I feel like - but always look forward to it.

I ran 8.5 miles this morning after a heavy leg workout yesterday
smile.gif

What time are you looking to run a 5K in?

Edited to add: I run 4-5 times a week.

Hello!

I would agree with lots of the information above.

However, the first thing that I would address is that, yes you can run everyday. I would recommend getting good running shoes though. Not the ones at Big 5. Like go to a running store and get fitted, they will look at your foot, the way you walk, the way you run, and find you a shoe that will provide the right kind of stability and cushion for what you want to do.

I ran cross country and track in HS and in college. (Currently in grad school)

We would run 6 days a week and take one day off, however, a lot of times we would end up going on easy relaxing runs on the day off.

If you really want to get your 5k time down, I would alternate between doing long easy runs 1-2 times a week (spread out), then on the other days, do runs where you will alternate the tempo, for example, running at 75% for 5 mins, 1 min easy, then 85% 4 min, 1 min easy, then 90% 3 min, 1 min easy, etc. Stuff like that. They are called, "fartleks." Those will probably help you get more in shape than just running.

Then after doing hard work outs like that, on recovery days, just run for an hour or so at an easy pace.

Like I mentioned above though, I would definitely say that getting good runnning shoes is the MOST important thing for your body. It is incredible the difference running shoes will make as to how your body will feel.

If there is anything else I can help you with or go into more detail, feel free to ask, would be happy to help in anyway I can =)

Cliff

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate your good advice.

I'm going to start playing rugby again (God knows why) so I'll be doing a lot of interval sprints to break up the monotony. I will also be getting back on the bike too.

I do have good shoes but will invest in being "fitted" by a good running store. I can understand the importance of that.

Thanks again!

In 1983 3 kids were playing in the street in Sydney when they were hit by a train. They all go to heaven and God says to them, “You weren’t supposed to die, you were all supposed to live out your lives. This was not your time. To make it up to you, I’ll let you choose what you want to do with your life. Take a running jump off of that cloud over there, and as you’re flying back down to Earth, shout out what you want to do. And so it shall be.”

The 1st kid takes a running leap and shouts “Lawyer” and so, 20 years later, he is a very successful lawyer, making lots of money, with an upcoming appointment to the Bench.

The 2nd kid takes his turn and shouts “brain surgeon” and so, 20 years later, he is the most admired man in his field of medicine and making a ton of money saving lives.

The 3rd kid goes to take his turn, and as he runs he trips over his own feet and stumbles off the cloud muttering “stupid clumsy arsehole.” 20 years later, he’s playing the back line for the Wallabies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In 1983 3 kids were playing in the street in Sydney when they were hit by a train. They all go to heaven and God says to them, “You weren’t supposed to die, you were all supposed to live out your lives. This was not your time. To make it up to you, I’ll let you choose what you want to do with your life. Take a running jump off of that cloud over there, and as you’re flying back down to Earth, shout out what you want to do. And so it shall be.”

The 1st kid takes a running leap and shouts “Lawyer” and so, 20 years later, he is a very successful lawyer, making lots of money, with an upcoming appointment to the Bench.

The 2nd kid takes his turn and shouts “brain surgeon” and so, 20 years later, he is the most admired man in his field of medicine and making a ton of money saving lives.

The 3rd kid goes to take his turn, and as he runs he trips over his own feet and stumbles off the cloud muttering “stupid clumsy arsehole.” 20 years later, he’s playing the back line for the Wallabies.

</div></div>

ROFLMAO!!!

I think you have been given a lot of good advice so far. I will clarify to say that I do not believe that running very often causes injury in and of itself. It does however, exacerbate injuries if you keep running on them. This makes sense as the impact loading on your joints is so intense when running. If you are healthy, I see no issues with running six days a week. I did this for quite a few years when I was training for marathons and triathlons and I think this kind of intensity is necessary to reach optimal fitness and race readiness. I do also agree that you need to mix it up though. I spend different parts of my season focusing on base or endurance, tempo and hills and then speed refinement. Additionally, within those time frames the duration and intensity varies quite a bit. Between mixing up the types of workouts and also changing what shoes you run in day to day, you can reduce the likelihood of injury and keep things a little more interesting.

Mike,

- Good shoes
- 1-2 rest days a week is important, especially after long runs; occasional down weeks with even more time off
- Listen to your body; a little sore is fine, if it aches or acts up most of the time, ice it, rest it, stretch it or hit it with a foam roller (foam roller is great by the way for ITBS and calfs)
- Cross-train/Core strenght at least 1-2 week; as we get older if all you do is similar runs, you WILL develop (possibly hidden) muscle imbalances that manifest in strange ways; ITBS, back, knee or ankle problems
- Mix up your runs; long, short, faster, slower, etc. Intervals and hills after you have a good 4-6 month base to work on
- Keep it interesting; for me a GPS watch/training software and tracking pace, heart-rate, cadence etc has helped
- Keep hydrated 24/7 and consider a good recovery drink...

Good luck!

ZY

Cliff and ZY have good tips. Running every day is not a bad thing but get good shoes and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Little pains can go away if taken care of, if ignored, they will bite you in the butt. Running fartleks for 5Ks are a good idea. I have always been pretty adamant about running near the same length run +/- a few miles a day. You should have a long run that is 20% of your weekly mileage. Give running every day a try. Start low mileage, like 20 miles a week and see how it feels. If it feels good, add another 5. If you could hit 40 miles in a week, that would be good for someone just wanting to do a 5K. I take a day off once every two weeks when at mid-mileage(50-80 mps) and try to cycle a day every week when I get up to higher mileage. Just do what you feel your body can handle, but just work up easily. Run should be a love, not a pain! If you want a day off, take it. But I say give it a go! But try some lifting and core to help strengthen. And stretch!

~iShoot

Geez, I used to never rest when I was in high school. My coach thought I had potential so my freshman and sophmore year I would run 5-6 miles before school and then track practice then run again 5-6 miles after school. I wish I would have done that all through high school. My junior and senior year I suffered horrible splin shits and couldnt run. But I was somewhat conditioned already for my senior year and ripped off some of the fastest 100,200,400, and 800m times for that year. So run while you can haha. My old coach still runs to this day everyday 8 miles.

I used to run 5-6 days a weeks about 5-10 (mostly about 6-7 miles) miles each day.
For a while I would run twice a day with a 5-8 mile morning run and a 2 mile lunch run.
This lasted until my deployments where my running slowed down of course. After some injuries thanks to my last deployment my running has been lacking. I was running about 8 miles 3-4 times a week and then I stopped for about 4 months to try and heal. I've lost a tendon in my right ankle which seems to not be so bad but the shoulder injuries are what have really put a damper on me. I went out today for a 5 miler which turned out to be a six miler with hills. My time is slower then normal of course at about 9 minute miles with hills which kills me because my five mile runs were around the 34 minute mark.

Start slow and build is my advice! Work in endurance and the LSD runs aka long slow distance and then develope speed from there. I used to run on a route that had a lot of telephone poles. I would sprint between every other telephone pole for about 5 miles. It was a good workout!

Something else I suggest. Make it fun! Find some running buddies and work with them. Do some trails and cross country stuff. Change the routes, run routes you have never been on and do some exploring. If you keep it interesting you won't get bored! If you keep doing the same crap you will! Have fun!

Definitely try to keep things interesting... things get pretty boring running the same routes in Pittsburgh every week! There are only so many different ways to go before you hit common ground again!

And the paint can idea is a great stretch. Make sure to also lay your leg on the side, both ways, and lift you foot up. This stretches other muscles!

I agree with almost everything said above. If you want a great book on running read "Run Less, Run Faster" by some of the editors of Running Magazine. It gives you three running workouts per week with two optional cross training days. It has 16 week schedule workouts that can be used for 5k, 10k, half marathons and marathons. It varies distance with intervals and varied tempo runs. I've been doing it for a few weeks and just shaved two minutes off my 8k time. If you stick with the program, invest in a heart rate monitor.

I ran track/cross country in college and we had to run between 3 and 7 miles a day with our rest day on sunday. stretch really well before and after running and change shoes on a regular basis. stay off asphault and concrete as much as possible. run on dirt if practical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5rshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran track/cross country in college and we had to run between 3 and 7 miles a day with our rest day on sunday. stretch really well before and after running and change shoes on a regular basis. stay off asphault and concrete as much as possible. run on dirt if practical. </div></div>

I am completing a degree in Exercise Science and studies show that static stretching before exercising can be harmful and actually degrades performance.

True that...you want to participate in dynamic (or moving) stretching prior to intense physical activity. It's not only more natural for your body but it will warm your body up while you stretch.

The biggest thing with static stretching is not to stretch to the point where your muscles burn/hurt. This typically tells the muscles to, in effect, shut down for a period of time.

I personally do both static and dynamic before any cardio or weight lifting.

Well that was 12 years ago for me. Sorry, I didnt realize things had changed. But I still wont go running without stretching first.

2-3 days in a row won't hurt, I go ~30 miles a week and often do 4-5 days in a row. IMO the key is good shoes!! The best cushioned shoes you can get, I've tried them all and use Pearl Izumi's, amazing kicks.
Best time to stretch is post run.

Recovery is very important because it allows time for muscles to repair and you’re a body time to recover from your workouts. Running 5 days a week with two recovery days where you are doing other activities besides running works well.
If you want to increase your speed you need to add interval workouts. You wont increase your speed much if all you do are aerobic runs regardless of the distance.
To maximize your effort you should select a training program that aligns with your goals. A properly created plan will mix up your training with the correct amount of aerobic, anaerobic, cross training and recovery. There are lots of different training programs online and I like the ones from Running Planet.

Update.

I've been running fairly frequently (3+ a week) but I've kept it to 3 miles. More due to time issue rather than fitness or ability. I have been supplementing cycling and a little swimming. I have been changing shoes out and actually noticed one pair of Nike running shoes sucks so I'm not wearing them to run in any more.

I have been doing some intervals and playing around with stop/start sports (basically rugby training).

I actually feel my form getting better and running more "relaxed". My time has increased by about .5 mph (using the treadmill). On that note, I have been switching off running on a tread mill, outside asphalt, and outside cross country. I have noticed it makes a difference.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

Stretch after you run, warm up before you run. If you feel the need to stretch before you run, warm up, then stretch.

When I was training for my first marathon, I became a big fan of ice baths to help reduce soreness.

I don't stretch. I run, I hurt, I drink and limp a little. Life is good!

I stretch but I hear ya on the limp and pain. I've come to the conclusion at 57 somewhere along the line I got given the pain with some equipment or uniform issue. And it's smart too it keeps moving around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't stretch. I run, I hurt, I drink and limp a little. Life is good! </div></div>

Amen

Ive been training for the last few months to meet a PAST time for a 1.5 mile run. For me anyway, I found that if I run every other day the same 1.5 miles I could get my time down from just over 13 minutes to around 10.5 minutes. If I tried to run every day my times suffered and there was no improvement or I felt like sheet. Just my experience if it helps any.

ETA: I stretched briefly ankles, thighs, calves, that was it.

Great advice/suggestions here. I became a runner while in college where we had to run a lot for the crew team. One day after running I had some serious hip pain. I thought I had a hip flexor problem and began trying to do some physical therapy on my own. After a year without any progress I went to a sports medicine/orthopedic surgeon. After an MRI it turns out I had torn some of the cartiledge in one of my hips. The only way to fix the tear was to undergo arthroscopic surgery. Well, I had the surgery yesterday so I'm hobbling around on crutches, but I'm hoping for the best. Doc says it'll be 3 months before I'm running again.

Running takes a toll on your body. Its a great form of exercise, but you need to understand when you are injured. I had to have surgery to maintain my active lifestyle.

usc beachbum..don't know how long ago U were a Crew member in College, but often these acetabular labrum (hip ) tears are realted to FAI (Femoral Acetabular Impingement) syndrome.

Alex Rodriguez had this surgery about 2 yrs ago...

Good luck on your recovery

http://www.hipfai.com/

fx its been nearly 7 years since I was on the crew team on college. regarding the FAI, my surgeon thought I had it. during the surgery they ground down some of the bone to prevent this issue from happening again. really looking forward to my first run after surgery.

Hope you recover quickly. I couldn't run for 3 months last summer due to a irritated IT band, and was a bear to live with. I really missed my morning run/meditation.

Update,
I took a week off due to the Cup and started back again today. Right before the Cup I was actually at a little higher pace, feeling good, when I started to feel a twinge in my hamstring. I have tight hamstrings primarily (I believe) to the heavy lifting I have always done. So I eased up on it because I didn't want to be "lame" for the Cup.
Today was the first day back and I did about 2.5 miles at a slow (11mm) pace. Everything felt fine and the fitness wasn't horrible. I'll keep hydrated and see how it feels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stretch after you run, warm up before you run. If you feel the need to stretch before you run, warm up, then stretch.

When I was training for my first marathon, I became a big fan of ice baths to help reduce soreness. </div></div>

Follow this! Ice bath are the absolute bomb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update,
I took a week off due to the Cup and started back again today. Right before the Cup I was actually at a little higher pace, feeling good, when I started to feel a twinge in my hamstring. I have tight hamstrings primarily (I believe) to the heavy lifting I have always done. So I eased up on it because I didn't want to be "lame" for the Cup.
Today was the first day back and I did about 2.5 miles at a slow (11mm) pace. Everything felt fine and the fitness wasn't horrible. I'll keep hydrated and see how it feels. </div></div>

Mike, I'd suggest that when you are running, if you are on a treadmill, take it slow at first (Ideally, you would want to do a warm up, like a mile or so, but most people are pressed for time so don't do this and go straight to the run), then slowly bump it up... For example, if you want to run an average of 8MPH, start at like 5.5, then after a few minutes, bump it up to 6, then 15 mins or whatever, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.5, then finish strong at like 9, 9.5 or whatever... Change these figures and time amounts to whatever your ability and length of time running are.

Then make sure you do a cool-down run, try to do at least half a mile, but a mile if you can. This would be a slower pace, a jog really.

And as the mentioned by others, if you have access to an ice-bath... that is miserable, but is wonderful for your legs and will help prevent injuries... If you don't have access, just man up and put your legs under cold cold water in the shower. (It really does help)

Good luck in your trainings!

Cliff was spot on with cool downs. It is important to not just stop after picking up pace (like he had suggested). The whole ice bath idea sucks, but you will get used to it. Your mind will want them and it knows because it will help with pain but also because it will help prevent injuries like has been said many times.

Well, being an old, out of shape guy I decided to pull my hamstring.
I went out for some 7s (Rugby) practice, warmed up well, was very hydrated, and proceeded to make a couple of speed changes and felt it go. Now I'm off of it for a week and getting on the bike more until it heals up.

I really need to stretch more

I run 6 miles a day. First go to a running center and buy a pair of shoes that properly fit your feet. I love Acis and they make them to fit all different kinds of feet. Ive been doing this for about 8 months now but when your body says stop then stop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stretch after you run, warm up before you run. If you feel the need to stretch before you run, warm up, then stretch.

When I was training for my first marathon, I became a big fan of ice baths to help reduce soreness.</div></div>

This point is a big one - don't stretch cold muscle. Also, different running shoes fit different people (high arches/low arches, pronator/supinator, etc) - a good running store will be able to find the most appropriate shoe for your stride.

Stretching is a religion...
There is no real medical evidence to support or condem this prectice that is prospective randomized powertested controlled..Level I etc...
If you believe in it, do it.

I'm a 20 mile a week guy. Before I read Born to Run I was a 1-2 mile a week type.

Most importantly I have found that I have to make it fun. I pick a place and run there. I try not to have a set route. If I feel like stretching, I stretch. If not... then I don't. I run trails when I get the chance. I run roads most of the time. When I switched to a forefoot strike and shortened my gait my 5K time went from ~26 mins to ~23 mins in a week. Now I can flirt with the 19 minute line, but I don't really like running fast. I like to run long. I generally only run 7-8 miles, two to three times a week excluding the sporadic longer weekend runs. I used to run to lose weight, get healthy and fit and all that. Then I made a pact with myself that I would run until it wasn't fun anymore. That was 6 months ago, and I constantly find new ways to make it fun. The first thing I did was to ditch the ipod full of angry screaming music. Next I rotate my running route (I love running in the country, but why the hell does everyone need like ten dogs running loose at their house)
Obviously all this wont work for the goal oriented structured types. Bur even these people can have fun with the gadgets and plans and stuff like that. I run to escape all that so I don't even wear a watch.

Long winded for me, yes but the two main points:
-Make it fun
-End every run as positively as possible

Sound great. I put down about 50 miles a week. Can't sat that I can be thinking about nothing but I try not for it to be too important. I'll run 5 miles before work and those are the most stressful. Off Days are great. Really gets the knots out of the rope.