• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Serrated or Straight Blade?

Re: Serrated or Straight Blade?

I'll get flamed for this but serrated knives are for people who cant sharpen a knife.They put the damb things right were you do 90% of your cutting.The only argument for it is rope or seat belts neither which I cut regularly.If I did the .5 second faster for the serrated I'll just live with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll get flamed for this but serrated knives are for people who cant sharpen a knife.They put the damb things right were you do 90% of your cutting.The only argument for it is rope or seat belts neither which I cut regularly.If I did the .5 second faster for the serrated I'll just live with. </div></div>

+1
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Combo, because I can't sharpen a knife.

True story: After showing my wife my new Spyderco years ago, she asked wht the hell I needed that for. I replied if I ever had to cut myself or someone else out of a seat belt. She said "yeah, right".

A couple days later I was at a car wash down the street from our house and a Jeep Wagoneer was in a one car rollover right behind me, and landed on its roof. Gal inside was freaked but overall OK (no LOC, no neuro abn, no visible signs of trauma, wiggle fingers and toes fine, etc). She about started to go into a panic attack hanging upside down and guess what I got to do with my cool new knife?

A combo because I CAN sharpen a knife and can sharpen a serrated blade as well. The serrated blade has too many good sides, combine it with a good sharp straight blade and you have the best of both worlds. OBTW, yes 90% of my cutting is in the first 1" of blade. It's that other 10% that stacks the deck.

Cheers,

Doc

Having had many of both I prefer the straight blade, no serrations.

there isnt really much a serrated blade/combo blade can cut faster than a SHARP straight blade, you lose valuable and scarce real estate on a combo folding knife, my 0.2 another option would be a SOG Pentagon, best of both worlds

I spend a LOT of time on boats and therefore carry a combo. If an anchor line or some other line has to be cut in a hurry, a straight edge, no matter how sharp, simply cannot compete with a serrated knife.

Additionally, for my work (tropical photography) I end up cutting a lot of palm fronds at their base to hold over a scene. A straight edge just doesn't get it done.

I can sharpen either one and do often. When limited to just one knife, it has both edges.

Get a good straight blade. I find the serrations catch way too easily and make cutting harder. I opted for a Gerber 'Laredo'. It has good, hard steel in it's blade. It is adjustable so I can flick it open. It locks open. And, the lock is in the blade's closing groove so with one hand I can close it easily. And it's relatively thinner than most knives in it's blade size.

Quality blade and quality construction with the option of adjusting tension. Take a look at a lot of knives before you decide which one is right for you.

-good luck

I have a few Kershaws that I like to carry, my preferred model is the Boa, its 3.25in, assisted opening and has serration at the base of the blade. Best of both worlds, IMO. I like the SOG knives as well but they are not folders.

I don't care for serrations. I like a clean sharp plain edge with a slight up-sweep. A few models that I like that won't break the bank are:
CRKT Drifter
Kershaw Skyline
Spyderco Delica
Benchmade Mini-grip

The Emerson CQC-14 & the Mini CQC-7 with Wave are both excellent choices.
Plain edge..

dmg308 said:
I'll get flamed for this but serrated knives are for people who cant sharpen a knife.They put the damb things right were you do 90% of your cutting.The only argument for it is rope or seat belts neither which I cut regularly.If I did the .5 second faster for the serrated I'll just live with. [/quote
God forbid they put an edge that is superior to a plain edge for cutting to do 90% of your cutting! What the heck were they thinking???
grin.gif
If you think you can sharpen a straight edge to even come remotely close to a serrated, you are in for a surprise! Then again it took you some time to get over a 1911!!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
dmg308 said:
I'll get flamed for this but serrated knives are for people who cant sharpen a knife.They put the damb things right were you do 90% of your cutting.The only argument for it is rope or seat belts neither which I cut regularly.If I did the .5 second faster for the serrated I'll just live with. [/quote
God forbid they put an edge that is superior to a plain edge for cutting to do 90% of your cutting! What the heck were they thinking???
grin.gif
If you think you can sharpen a straight edge to even come remotely close to a serrated, you are in for a surprise! Then again it took you some time to get over a 1911!!!
grin.gif
</div></div>

When you learn to put an edge on a knife that is even slightly more aggresive then a soup spoon I may consider listening.Until then it will remain white noise
cry.gif

My father is a knife maker and can put an edge on any knife and make it shave. And, his serrates cut faster than a regular blade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father is a knife maker and can put an edge on any knife and make it shave. And, his serrates are still sharper than a regular blade.

</div></div>

Thats not realy accurate they may cut certain things faster because of the multi angle cutting surfaces but the edge is not actually sharper.

Anyway you cut it
grin.gif
serrations rule for cutting! Plain edge rules for anything but!

Yeah thats why you see professional butchers and fish processors using serrated blades....oh wait they dont because serrations are a nightmare for game or meat prep.I've never seen them being used at a cutting competition either(guess those guys dont have a clue).Serrations are good for course cutting of some materials but difficult at best for any fine operations.
Don't be embarrased if you need me to sharpen your knife for you I dont mind.
laugh.gif

I carry a Benchmade Mini-griptillian, partially serrated.

Nothing beats a good serrated blade. The fact is that the most likely thing I'm going to need my knife for in an emergency is cutting a seat belt.

serrations are ok on a steak knife at the dinner table but thats mostly cuz noone wants to sharpen dinner knives. for butchering animals serrations are a handicap. i like kershaw blades but the assisted opening seems less than handy since the safety mechanism paralyzes its ease of use. i say give me a mild carbon steel blade i can touch up from time to time with a regular stone and itll beat the nickel blend stainless serrated crap any day for just about any common use. but what do i know im just an old corpsman, but maybe someone oughtta let surgeons in on the serrations "secret" if it is truly sharper.

No one said they are more precise; just faster! It's no secret that I work in sales and as tradition we always cut the new guys tie and make him wear it the rest of the day. That day; I decided to use a certain manufacturers blade known for their "tiger stripes" brand new blade. Very embarrasing not being able to cut thru a Walmart tie cleanly! I didn't need precision just wanted to cut! You want to butcher something go for plain edge. If you want to cut boxes,rope, or what have you; you will get the job done a lot faster w/ a serrated blade. And you don't have to worry about sharpening as often. Stop kidding yourself.
grin.gif
Last time I checked they don't have plain edge saws!
grin.gif

And they dont make serrated scalpals.Dont blame the tool for lack of skill.These plain edges seem to go through rope just fine.If you tried to cut a tie with a (Tiger stripe)knife and it had the factory or equivalent replacement edge and failed I submit it's definatly the driver not the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0oJLygUA4
laugh.gif

Yeah, that was really precise!!! I'll have to remember that when you are stuck in a car and I am trying to cut you loose! I guess you'll just have to trust me?
grin.gif
Try not to squint!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And they dont make serrated scalpals.Dont blame the tool for lack of skill.These plain edges seem to go through rope just fine.If you tried to cut a tie with a (Tiger stripe)knife and it had the factory or equivalent replacement edge and failed I submit it's definatly the driver not the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0oJLygUA4
laugh.gif
</div></div>

They don't make scalpels serrated because a serrated edge doesn't make a clean cut.

They also don't make smooth saw blades because they wouldn't cut anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father is a knife maker and can put an edge on any knife and make it shave. And, his serrates cut faster than a regular blade.

</div></div>

Thats not realy accurate they may cut certain things faster because of the multi angle cutting surfaces but the edge is not actually sharper. </div></div>

Dont get me wrong, we're all super impressed that you can sharpen a knife. It's an amazing skill that we all put right up there with curing cancer or being able to find the g spot.

The OP asked what we would carry, not what we would use for butchering meat and not for performing open heart surgery.

Geez...

Anyone here have more than one tool in their garage?

I always try to get straight edge vs. serrated. For me its easier to clean and have sharpened.

SB, No need to take it to that level! I've seen dmg's knife skills; and he can run a plain edge about as as good as any serrated. I still believe that the average user is better suited w/ a serrated blade. One of those things where we agree to disagree! I hope you take this opportunity to do the right thing! Thanks.

For the kitchen, butchering, slicing, open heart surgery on deer and elk, then the straight blade gets the call.

For "carry" like noted by the OP, the half and half blade gets the call. To many extra options that the serrated blade offers.

I still have a beat up old Spyderco fully serrated knife from 15+ years ago, I could use it to cut metal banding that wraps pallets with one hard pull up, I'd like to see a straight blade knife do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father is a knife maker and can put an edge on any knife and make it shave. And, his serrates cut faster than a regular blade.

</div></div>

Thats not realy accurate they may cut certain things faster because of the multi angle cutting surfaces but the edge is not actually sharper. </div></div>

So, by your own admission, they cut things faster, and yet, youre still being a cocky asshole...Why is that?

Dont get me wrong, we're all super impressed that you can sharpen a knife. It's an amazing skill that we all put right up there with curing cancer or being able to find the g spot.

The OP asked what we would carry, not what we would use for butchering meat and not for performing open heart surgery.
</div></div>
Shaggy cutting the fastes is not always the best, kinda like shooting a PRECISION rifle has its place versus an AK that shoots the fastest.I answered the OPs question with my opinions, you seem to get your panties bunched up pretty easy.May be you are the cocky asshole simply because someone has a different point of view from yours you resort to personal attacks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaggy cutting the fastes is not always the best, kinda like shooting a PRECISION rifle has its place versus an AK that shoots the fastest.</div></div>

So, much like an AK, a serrated blade has its uses, as well.

What "precision" cutting are you doing with a pocket knife?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What "precision" cutting are you doing with a pocket knife?

I dont mind differing opinions, but the "Don't be embarrased if you need me to sharpen your knife for you I dont mind" made you sound like an arrogant prick.
</div></div>

If you noticed the emoticon smiling in those threads that suggests joking or light hearted banter.I know Turk and we were having a little fun with each other as we have had this debate many times.I've done everything from processing a ton of game to slicing tomatoes with my EDC.I do these things alot more then cutting people out of overturned car seat belts.Sometimes intent is difficult to grasp with the written word versus a conversation.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont get me wrong, we're all super impressed that you can sharpen a knife. It's an amazing skill that we all put right up there with curing cancer or being able to find the g spot.
</div></div>

I like the combo blade: 25% serrated the balance straight. If I had to choose one or the other, then Straight.

There is no such thing as a G-Spot; problem solved
grin.gif

Tell me about it...

Now back to the knife issue, I find a combination of slips and round and flat stones and ceramic rods, along with a good cigar helps me complete my sharpening chores (on serrated edges, too) without too much swearing or enraged throwing of objects. I sharpen chisels, plane irons, drill bits and knives. Grinders and drill doctors, guides, etc., and other tools help keep the chores productive but damnit the serrations can be very challenging to sharpen.

I'd ask Kwai Chang Cain for lessons in patience but he's been hung up...

I'd say depends on job at hand....i prefer straight for most things but a serration does cut quick but not as neatly.
For those with KNOWLEDGE could ya enlighten me how you sharpen your serrations the best/easiest way? Got a stone for a lansky kit awhile back but never used it. hardly ever use the serrated blades so...

jasonk, i use a straight edge blade all day every day at work doing just that, cutting banding off pallets works just fine just gotta sharpen knife a few strokes(just like a woman) at end of the day to be ready for next day.

Posts edited.

I still say serrated.
smile.gif