• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Service rifle barrel questions

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So im getting a 22ARC done up from craddock. I wanted a ready to rock barrel at 20in and a target crown. He does not offer that, but said he can cut the threads off of a 20inch and give me a 11 degree target crown.

OR

He has a service rifle barrel that is 20 inches and can chamber that in 22ARC.

So I have a few questions. I've built probably a dozen ARs and never once looked into service rifles. Heck, the heaviest contour barrel I had was a WOA varmint. So forgive the stupidity of some of these questions.

Any idea of the average weight of a 20in service rifle barrel?

Is there anything stopping me from using something like a WOA handguard where the gasblock does not go inside the handguard? Id like the barrel freefloating.

gonna be using it for shooting off a bench, plinking prone and maybe some varmint.

Thanks Fellas

Reactions: simonp
    I think it would work fine. Some service rifle barrels need a different gas block. On average I think they are a little under 1 lb heavier than the average MK12/SPR barrel. All of the extra meat is under the handguard.

It may have to do with where you live. Threaded muzzles on ARs are illegal to ship to certain states.
    Bingo. They can ship them here, but the muzzle brake is an evil feature in which I will be thrown in the gulag for having, by Kathy.

• Haha
    I have three service rifle uppers from White Oak and the above is correct. Be aware that at least the WOA service barrels do require a specific gas block.
    Is the problem with the entrance of the gas tube? is it too low to make it over the thick part of the barrel? I'm seeing gas blocks with pic rails on them for service rifle barrels. I could live with that no problem.

the white oak website has the following note.
    “Our WOP Service Rifle barrel has the correct A2 0.275” gas port location which is only compatible with a standard front sight tower or the WOA Picatinny Clamp-On Service Rifle Gas Block. This barrel may not function properly with standard AR15 gas blocks.”
    The one I'm getting is from Craddock. I will post in here if it's the same deal though

Reactions: oldrifleman
    the white oak website has the following note.
    “Our WOP Service Rifle barrel has the correct A2 0.275” gas port location which is only compatible with a standard front sight tower or the WOA Picatinny Clamp-On Service Rifle Gas Block. This barrel may not function properly with standard AR15 gas blocks.”
    So I spoke with Joshua from Craddock, and you can use a regular old gas block. I bought the one from there website.

He said he could make the gas block journal either 1 inch for the regular gas block or make it for an A2. I honestly don't really know the difference. It sounds like the journal on the A2 would be longer.

Thanks, that is my understanding. I have three WOA service rifle uppers that I wish I could change the gas block on, but in the end they are still tack drivers😀.

Thanks, that is my understanding. I have three WOA service rifle uppers that I wish I could change the gas block on, but in the end they are still tack drivers😀.
    Haha that's what I'm hoping for with this one. In all fairness, I contacted WOA first, and they don't do any cartridges based on that bolt face, which was disappointing.

Reactions: oldrifleman