• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Service Rifle Micrometer Sights

Budrichard

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
With Service Rifle Competition allowing scopes, it appears that any and all micrometer sights for a Service Rifle have disappeared.
I have White Oak Shilen 20’ Barrel upper that has a HI-LUX 1-4 on it and is very accurate.
I want a front sight with aperture and rear micrometer.
I have shot small bore for decades and am familiar and use the Redfield Olympic, International and Palmer sights but they are not configured for a PIC Rail.
Any suggestions will be appreciated other than that for a 100yd Iron sight matches my Club has coming up, I will mount a set MagPul or whatever and have at it!
-Richard

Ultradyne makes a decent aperture front sight that will mount to a picatinny rail.

Ultradyne Back-Up Iron Sights

ultradyne_front_01-1300675.jpg

ultradyne_rear_01-1300677.jpg

The new Ultradyne back-up iron sights for the AR-15 are the most innovative back-up iron sights that I’ve used; particularly their HK style front sight. Unlike the fundamentally flawed HK style front sights manufactured by Troy Industries, Precision Reflex, Samson etc, the Ultradyne HK style front sight maintains the proper orientation of the front sight post within the circular front sight “ears” throughout its entire range of elevation and windage adjustment. The entire sight housing moves when making adjustments.

You may have noticed in the previous sentence that I said “elevation and windage adjustment.” The unique feature of the front sight having windage adjustment allows you to obtain a no-wind zero by making adjustments solely to the front sight.

The Ultradyne front sight employs interchangeable front sight posts. There are currently five different front sight posts available; four of them are aperture posts and one is a blade post the size of the standard A2 front sight post. The interchangeable front sight posts are a proprietary design. Mil-spec front sight posts will not work with the Ultradyne front sight.

ultradyne_front_02-1300676.jpg

The Ultradyne rear back-up iron sight also has interchangeable apertures. Two rear apertures are currently available; a 0.050” aperture and a 0.070” aperture. The rear sight can also be used without either rear aperture installed, giving you a ghost-ring sight picture. The rear sight is also adjustable for windage and elevation.

ultradyne_rear_02-1300678.jpg

I mounted the Ultradyne back-up iron sights (with the 14 MOA aperture front sight post and 0.050" rear sight aperture) on one of my Krieger barreld AR-15s. Using match-grade hand-loads and shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards, I was able to achieve a 10-shot group that had an extreme spread of 0.71”.

ultradyne_buis_10_shot_group_at_100_yard-1300685.jpg

I used an RPA Trakker rear sight that mounted on the pic rail
Lipski used to make a pic adapter for traditional mounted match sights but it looks like they aren't sold anymore.

Champions Choice has a picatinny base that should fit your Redfield rear sight.

Can't help with the front sight though.

Thanks for all the replies.
Had already called White Oak, they got out of the business of mic-sights a few years ago I was told.
Ultradyne looks good but says 200 to 600 yd zero. Will call Monday.
RRA does not offer a circular front sight aperture.
Probably go with the Ultradyne front mounted on the barrel!
White Oak upper shoots real good for me.
Yesterday 100 yds White Oak Upper scoped,
IMG_5941.jpeg
Federal GM223M3.
-Richard

Last edited:
I've been searching this for a while myself. No interest in shooting NM type matches but I've got a spare upper lying around that just looks like it needs match irons on it. No flip ups or handguard mounted sights for this application. Nord Arms used to make a set but it looks like they only have the front sight available currently. https://www.nordarms.com/product-page/na-is-fs750
I'll probably get this then hope to find a decent fixed rear somewhere, possibly a Scalarworks Peak, I'm not looking for a micrometer rear.

Reactions: erik72
I've been searching this for a while myself. No interest in shooting NM type matches but I've got a spare upper lying around that just looks like it needs match irons on it. No flip ups or handguard mounted sights for this application. Nord Arms used to make a set but it looks like they only have the front sight available currently. https://www.nordarms.com/product-page/na-is-fs750
I'll probably get this then hope to find a decent fixed rear somewhere, possibly a Scalarworks Peak, I'm not looking for a micrometer rear.
Those Nord Arms front sights look cool. I agree with you. They'd pair nicely with that scalarworks sight or something like this from RRA...
LMT makes them too and then of course NC Star and some other less expensive alternatives. I have one RRA like this and I love it.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Here is what I went with.
The guy running the matches wanted ‘military’ type sights, so I ordered an F type front with a 0.074” square front post and a handle carry upper with the rear sights modified to 1/4MOA adjustments from Compass Lake. A fixed long hooded aperture was installed.
I initially mounted the front on the rail but could not get enough elevation so moved the front to the Gas Block and adjusted the front down one or two revolutions.
Now we were on at 100 yds with the rear bottomed out and lots of UP left on the rear wheel.
Target is M193 at 100yds shot by my son. These are the second, third and fourth shots he took, where the first went, we don’t know unless he was using one of the sight protectors as the post.
Easy to do as i had that problem initially. Drove me nuts until I realized what was occurring.
I certainly would like a front aperture sight but for now this combo is working real well.
The White Oak Upper is accurate but HEAVY!(7.5#)
I just order a 20” White Oak SPR upper on sale and had the barrel fluted for weight reduction.
We have a break this week from Competition as some Family Event takes over the range.
More to come.
-Richard
BTW, thanks for all the replies!

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6229.jpeg
    IMG_6229.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 59
Here is what I went with.
The guy running the matches wanted ‘military’ type sights, so I ordered an F type front with a 0.074” square front post and a handle carry upper with the rear sights modified to 1/4MOA adjustments from Compass Lake. A fixed long hooded aperture was installed.

That's because all CMP service rifle configurations have to use those types of sights.

What you originally wanted (front and rear aperture sights) is not and has never been legal on any version of CMP or NRA Service Rifle.

Thanks for all the replies.
The Compass Lake handle sight works great but the rear elevation is CW and does not a match a normal scope.
I gave an offer for the Holliger just because.
I did research the CMP rules but i could not find that micrometer sights were specifically not allowed.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Does the front sight have to be Post or are apertures allowed?
Again , thanks for eh help!
-Richard

That's because all CMP service rifle configurations have to use those types of sights.

NRA HIGH POWER RIFLE RULES

3.1 Service Rifle

The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are considered optical sights) with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Only commercially manufactured scopes that were produced with a maximum magnification of 4.5X and that have a maximum objective lens of 34mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same optical sight must be used in all stages of a course of fire (changing sights is not permitted).

CMP HIGHPOWER RIFLE COMPETITION RULES

g) Sights: Sights may be metallic or optical

modern_service_rifle_configuration_002-2961628.jpg

…..

NRA HIGH POWER RIFLE RULES

3.1 Service Rifle

The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are considered optical sights) with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Only commercially manufactured scopes that were produced with a maximum magnification of 4.5X and that have a maximum objective lens of 34mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same optical sight must be used in all stages of a course of fire (changing sights is not permitted).

CMP HIGHPOWER RIFLE COMPETITION RULES

g) Sights: Sights may be metallic or optical

modern_service_rifle_configuration_002-2961628.jpg

…..
WTF lol

Point of order because I have a feeling I know where this is going. I think Molon was getting into semantics but to the OP the 2023 NRA High Power Rifle Rules Section 3.1.c (US Service Rifle 5.56mm M16-series) regarding irons are as follows.

(c) U.S. Service Rifle 5.56 mm M-16 series––
• Alternatively, the rifle may be equipped with issue-type metallic
front and rear sights.
Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type
sight design with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight
in the standard M-16 location.

Thank you, I could not find that rule!!!
I have purchased the White Oak modified carry handle sight with CCW elevation adjustment. just because.
The present sights work very well and satisfy the Match requirements.
This apparently is a ‘fun’ match and not sanctioned or run under any organization but I was told Service Rifle iron sights with no other information.
So I have learned/
Thanks to all that Posted.
My next challenge will be to use the information and equipment I have gathered to build an AR Competition iron sight rifle with micrometer rear and some sort of barrel mounted front sight with aperture.
More to come!
-Richard

Point of order because I have a feeling I know where this is going. I think Molon was getting into semantics but to the OP the 2023 NRA High Power Rifle Rules Section 3.1.c (US Service Rifle 5.56mm M16-series) regarding irons are as follows.

(c) U.S. Service Rifle 5.56 mm M-16 series––
• Alternatively, the rifle may be equipped with issue-type metallic
front and rear sights.
Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type
sight design with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight
in the standard M-16 location.

Thank God

My next challenge will be to use the information and equipment I have gathered to build an AR Competition iron sight rifle with micrometer rear and some sort of barrel mounted front sight with aperture.
Back in the day before scopes, the Match Rifle division was pretty much open to what we called "space guns" with longer barrels and the aperture front sight with Anschutz or Gehman globe front sights.
JP Enterprise used to make a front sight tower with Anschutz globe that fit on a railed gas block....but that was years ago.

A few of the top space gun builders back then were White Oak, Compass Lake Engineering, and Keystone Accuracy. Maybe contact them and see what may still be available.

Reactions: camocorvette
A little confusion on my part.
The White Oak carry handle adjustments are the same as the Compass Lake.
Windage adjustment matches a scope but elevation adjustments do not match a scope unless you have CW scope for elevation.
In any event, these modified carry handle mounts are very nice and will serve the purpose.
I remember hearing about ‘Space Guns’ but I was not shooting National Match or High Power at the time.
Thanks for all the assistance!
-Richard

Attachments

• IMG_6237.jpeg
    IMG_6237.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 17
Well we took First Place over the course of 5 matches.
The target used was a six bull arrangement in yellow.
I put out my own 100 yds black bull target for sighting.
Even with recently having cataract surgery on my right eye, the yellow bull was extremely difficult to shoot.
Today was the last day.
My two sighters were 10’s and we were good to go.
Next Military Matches will be 200yds scoped.
I assume 4.5X max.
I am happy with my trophy!
-Richard