• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Servicing a Galil GEN 2 Ace Bolt (7.62 x 39)

Sky Bird

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2022
South Florida
I own an IWI Galil Ace Pistol, GEN 2, 7.62 x 39. Fired about 3500 rounds to date, using WOLF Steel Case Ammo, some with, some without the LACQUER finish on the cartridges. Last week, experienced (for 1st time) some "failure to extract" issues. Removed buildup of crap under the extractor claw, but wanted to disassemble bolt and clean inside and the parts. Found out (info NOT in manual) that firing pin has a SPRING which prevents it from "floating", so disassembly, per a somewhat knowledgeable forum member requires "small but VERY high quality punch, good bench block and sturdy workbench, as I will need to give firing pin retaining pin a significant WHACK (not tap) with hammer to remove it, AND, will need to make provision to prevent launching of SPRING holding firing pin in place. I've serviced regular AK bolts, but not this kind. Anybody done this yet ? If so, any tips, specific tool recos, etc., welcome. I am no doubt a gun nerd, I like to take care of the few firearms I have, and I like to know how to properly do it. That apparently makes me a target for some who think reading a manual is heresy. So please, if you're one of those, don't reply. Thanks

Attachments

• 2022-07-04_13-00-15.jpg
    2022-07-04_13-00-15.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 132
Maybe contact IWI US and see if they have any words of wisdom.

Yeah, it’s not under a ton of pressure. The spring is there to prevent slam fires from the firing pin. Most military AK’s don’t have the spring and don’t really need it because the military primers are pretty hard. They’ve added the spring to a lot of guns now because the user could have ammo with softer primers.

Don’t sweat it. If you’ve disassembled normal AK bolts this one is almost exactly the same.

A ziploc freezer bag can contain the spring, poke a hole to start your punch and a typical bench block to hold the part.