• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Set Screws

fasteddie565

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
Garden City, MO
Gents,

I need a set screw for a G 21 compensator. The comp screws on to the barrel but is held in place with a set screw that must go low enough into the hole to allow the operating rod into the bottom of the comp.

Size is 5mm diameter and 4mm or less in length. Any help is deeply appreciated.

fe sends

Re: Set Screws

Some hardware stores carry a wide selection of precision fasteners. Check there. Bring the piece along with you and try out the various candidates, you don't need to bring the firearm, just the attachment that the screw fits into.

If nobody knows what the item is, and you tell them it's part of a machine tool, who's the wiser?

Technically it <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a form of machine tool. All human artifacts are some form of tool or another, and if it's metal, it's usually a machine, too.

Creative obfuscation is an art.

Greg

Re: Set Screws

Greg,

Thanks for the note. I found one that was way too long at the local hardware. I then bought several nuts to fit over it and then I screwed it (The set screw) into the nut so the excess was protruding from the opposite side of the nut. I put it to the grinder, backing it out through the nut every few strokes to keep the threads clean. I tried it several times before I got the length right, now she runs like a singer sewing machine.

Thanks for the note.

fe sends