• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sets screws

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Sorry if this a really stupid question......

I'm thinking about replacing my front sight/gas block on an AR with a low profile verion.

The existing assembly is a clamp on but I'd like to change to a set screw version.

Should the set screw detents on the barrel be threaded or are they just recessed for the head of the set screw?

Is there a standard size for these set screws?

Thanks in advance....

Re: Sets screws

If the screws are up from the bottom of the gas block assembly you can get away with doing nothing to the barrel, if you have access to a milling machine a small flat is a nice touch.
From the side of the block, will require flats be milled for the set screws, to insure a no wind zero can be set.

Thanks kreiert

All the screws would be from the bottom.

But as far as I can find out the Douglas barrel has the dimples/detents in it for the gas block and Ops Inc collar as standard? Does anybody know if this is this correct?

It depends on who machined the barrel. Usually on the bottom 180 degrees from the gas port there is a dimple. This is used to help you get the gas port aligned with the block.