• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Setting back a barrel?

Tunnuh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
Texas
How many times can you set back a barrel? I've never had it done before, and is it worth it over a rebarrel? I'm getting into 6mm Creedmoor and the more I read about barrel life of 1000-1200 rounds; I'm kicking myself for maybe not going 6BRA or Dasher even though components are more costly. School me on this if you have experience. I went with a 26 inch barrel including the tennon. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

How are components for one 6mm higher than another 6mm, besides brass. You will want to run lapua brass in either 6br or 6 creed..

If the rifling is still good, you can generally set it back once or twice depending on how much shank you have available to work with. Many barrels shoot fine after being set back

Reactions: Tunnuh
My only experience with it was on 6.5-284. Set barrel back at 800ish and you'd get another 3-400rds before it was trash.

How are components for one 6mm higher than another 6mm, besides brass. You will want to run lapua brass in either 6br or 6 creed..

Shooting Hornady match factory vs reloading. Will reload when Berger 6mm Creedmoor comes out and I have some lapua brass. I suppose you are right. I didn't see dasher brass available yet and I wasn't sure where to start. 6mm BRA is a good option. Also, I wanted some factory ammo available hence the decision.

Note: I wanted to be a bit more competitive and made a quick decision after talking with a few people. I switched from .260 and that barrel lasted 3 years.

Last edited:
If the rifling is still good, you can generally set it back once or twice depending on how much shank you have available to work with. Many barrels shoot fine after being set back

Good to know, thanks for the feedback.

115 DTAC would be guess
So 115 dtacs for a 6br costs more than 115dtacs for a 6 creed....interesting, lol. I get the factory ammo vs reloads cost/time saving, but I've never saw factory that shoots as good as my handloads. If you can give up accuracy to save time, well that's your call. I saw OP said "components", which indicate reloading. Srp cost the same lapua 6br brass is cheaper than 6creed, 6br uses a little less powder and same bullet cost the same between them. There are alot of decent to good factory 6creed options, compared to 6br.

So 115 dtacs for a 6br costs more than 115dtacs for a 6 creed....interesting, lol. I get the factory ammo vs reloads cost/time saving, but I've never saw factory that shoots as good as my handloads. If you can give up accuracy to save time, well that's your call. I saw OP said "components", which indicate reloading. Srp cost the same lapua 6br brass is cheaper than 6creed, 6br uses a little less powder and same bullet cost the same between them. There are alot of decent to good factory 6creed options, compared to 6br.
Calm down dude I have loaded 6 creed and 6br and 115 dtacs are considerably cheaper than most bullets used in br such as Berger Hybrids or Hunting which are the most common in competition. I use 107 Sierras and there’s not much difference but that isn’t the most common bullet. High guailty br variant bullets cost more.

Shooting Hornady match factory vs reloading. Will reload when Berger 6mm Creedmoor comes out and I have some lapua brass. I suppose you are right. I didn't see dasher brass available yet and I wasn't sure where to start. 6mm BRA is a good option. Also, I wanted some factory ammo available hence the decision.

Note: I wanted to be a bit more competitive and made a quick decision after talking with a few people. I switched from .260 and that barrel lasted 3 years.

6brx is a better choice over bra more velocity and same shoulder. You can use 6br dies IMO

Calm down dude I have loaded 6 creed and 6br and 115 dtacs are considerably cheaper than most bullets used in br such as Berger Hybrids or Hunting which are the most common in competition. I use 107 Sierras and there’s not much difference but that isn’t the most common bullet. High guailty br variant bullets cost more.

I am interested in the DTAC when I do get dies and brass. What kind of barrel life did you get in the 6mm Creedmoor? Ive read you can load the dtacs when accuracy falls off shooting the 105-108's. Tried it?

Got tired of fireforming brx brass. Set my kreiger back to 6br still a hammer. Was 28” ended up 26 heavy Palma

Got tired of fireforming brx brass. Set my kreiger back to 6br still a hammer. Was 28” ended up 26 heavy Palma

You use it in any precision rifle (prs style) matches? How does the 6br hang if so?

I am interested in the DTAC when I do get dies and brass. What kind of barrel life did you get in the 6mm Creedmoor? Ive read you can load the dtacs when accuracy falls off shooting the 105-108's. Tried it?
The dtacs will shoot right around 3000 and supposedly will extend barrel life both with the coating and design you won’t see much difference in drop because of the high bc.

You use it in any precision rifle (prs style) matches? How does the 6br hang if so?
Me and my son both use 28” 6brs on Origin actions in PRS at 2900 I don’t think we’re giving up much if anything except to the 6 creedmoor guys it’s hard to beet the velocity and wind resistance of 6 creed with a Sierra 110

I'm calm, just couldn't understand your reasoning, it didnt read like you tried to say it. I can get 105 hybrids for 200.00/500, but pointed 107smk are cheaper, shoot as good in my rifles, and have a .547bc. All these bullets you and I mentioned are cheaper than true br bullets. I did 100&200yd br for awhile, I know what real br quality bullets cost.

OP, have you thought about 6x47L? Its case capacity is in between dasher and creed, case shape and proportions are like a supersized 6br. I think if one wants to run at 2950-3000, the 6x47 is a solid option. If you are set on 6 creed, and good barrel life, you could run it and h4831sc. That slow burning powder would get you 2950-3000fps with 105 class bullets and should help extend barrel life.

6 creed, and good barrel life, you could run it and h4831sc. That slow burning powder would get you 2950-3000fps with 105 class bullets and should help extend barrel life.
I’m breaking in a new barrel with this combo. Specifically 105 RDF and H4831sc. Unfortunately, looks like a loooooong throat. At .025 off the lands, im only about .075 in the case, so just seat the bullets to contact full bearing surface in the neck. Good or bad ??? Also, what would be an expected barrel life?

To answer the original question regarding how many times you can setback a barrel..... It depends.

Is it worth it and will you regain accuracy? Again, it depends and maybe.

Your first consideration should be do you even have enough cylinder to allow for a proper setback? Barrels with short cylinders often do not. I can't speak for other shops, but in our shop we feel if we can't at least cutoff the entire tenon for the setback, it isn't worth even trying.

Your next consideration is how much fire cracking and erosion has occurred? Again just my shop's opinion, but if there is significant erosion and the cartridge you intend to chamber might make a setback much more of a gamble and IMHO not worth doing it. There is no guaranty of performance or how much performance you'll gain from the setback. And the faster 6mm cartridges (like the 6 Creedmoor) tend to have less of a chance of regaining performance for any significant round count past the setback. Cartridges like that are just hard on barrels. We charge $175 to do a proper setback. We have done setbacks for some customers specifically on 6 Creedmoors and some guys have gotten another 500 rounds out of the barrel while other guys have gotten half that. Again, no guaranty here. It is a crap shoot.

Now, if you are thinking of going from 6CM to a more mild 6mm cartridge, you might have better results for barrel life post the setback. The other thing to consider there though is starting to work with a new cartridge on a barrel that has no guaranty on performance or life expectancy. You could spend time doing load development and getting use to the new cartridge and if performance isn't there, you don't really know how much of that could be the barrel.

All those things considered, if you are wanting to switch to a new cartridge, my best advice would be start with a new barrel. I'd burn out that 6CM barrel then make the switch.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Best regards,

6br is cheap to load for... About 10gr of powder less than 6 Creed. I have some 6br brass that may outlast me..

Imo never worth it to set back a barrel unless your the one with the lathe. Money better spent on new barrel and chamber.

Reactions: Mxridr and Tunnuh
To answer the original question, in my opinion it is not worth it. I charge the same amount to set a barrel back as a fitting a new blank because it is the same set-up and same amount of work. It is always a gamble if you will regain anything, and if so, how much life will it add? Also, now your markings don't line up or have been partially removed.

To answer the original question regarding how many times you can setback a barrel..... It depends.

Is it worth it and will you regain accuracy? Again, it depends and maybe.

Your first consideration should be do you even have enough cylinder to allow for a proper setback? Barrels with short cylinders often do not. I can't speak for other shops, but in our shop we feel if we can't at least cutoff the entire tenon for the setback, it isn't worth even trying.

Your next consideration is how much fire cracking and erosion has occurred? Again just my shop's opinion, but if there is significant erosion and the cartridge you intend to chamber might make a setback much more of a gamble and IMHO not worth doing it. There is no guaranty of performance or how much performance you'll gain from the setback. And the faster 6mm cartridges (like the 6 Creedmoor) tend to have less of a chance of regaining performance for any significant round count past the setback. Cartridges like that are just hard on barrels. We charge $175 to do a proper setback. We have done setbacks for some customers specifically on 6 Creedmoors and some guys have gotten another 500 rounds out of the barrel while other guys have gotten half that. Again, no guaranty here. It is a crap shoot.

Now, if you are thinking of going from 6CM to a more mild 6mm cartridge, you might have better results for barrel life post the setback. The other thing to consider there though is starting to work with a new cartridge on a barrel that has no guaranty on performance or life expectancy. You could spend time doing load development and getting use to the new cartridge and if performance isn't there, you don't really know how much of that could be the barrel.

All those things considered, if you are wanting to switch to a new cartridge, my best advice would be start with a new barrel. I'd burn out that 6CM barrel then make the switch.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Best regards,

This is very helpful info, thank you for the knowledge!

Last edited:
Reactions: BookHound
Got a smokin deal to set barrel back so it was worth it. Plus br should be easy on barrel life. U give up some velocity but damn it is so fun to shoot and stupid accurate

I’m breaking in a new barrel with this combo. Specifically 105 RDF and H4831sc. Unfortunately, looks like a loooooong throat. At .025 off the lands, im only about .075 in the case, so just seat the bullets to contact full bearing surface in the neck. Good or bad ??? Also, what would be an expected barrel life?
I'mgoing to try this. I see Berger has 6mm Creedmoor ammo coming out with Lapua brass at an affordable price, so this is a better option than the Hornady match. I think based on all of the feedback I'll just rebarrel or go 6 BR if I hate the barrel life of Creedmoor.

To answer the original question, in my opinion it is not worth it. I charge the same amount to set a barrel back as a fitting a new blank because it is the same set-up and same amount of work. It is always a gamble if you will regain anything, and if so, how much life will it add? Also, now your markings don't line up or have been partially removed.

Thank you for the input!