• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Setting barrel back/rechamber?

verrocchio100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2003
Pac-O
Hey fellas, how much of the barrel tenon do you trim off before setting barrel back and rechamber?

0.25"
0.50"

Other?

Got a used .284 Rock barrel with about 1500 rounds down the tube and threaded for a LA M700. Barrel was chambered for 280AI and I want to rechamber to plain vanilla 7RM.

Suggestions?

Thx!

Re: Setting barrel back/rechamber?

Throw it away and start fresh. 1500 in that chambering is mostly washed out a couple of inches.

1+ 1500 rounds is too much to waste time on unless your just doing it for fun

I agree with the two postings above - I have had a few barrels set back and will not have it done anymore. Most of the time they just did not seem to shoot well enough to justify the set back. With that many rounds down the tube out of that cartridge your barrel is probably roasted 6" or more up the barrel.

Well, you will obviously want to go deep enough with the new reamer to completely clean out the old chamber and possibly a good bit further to get past fire cracking or other wear in the bore. Depending on the contour you may run out of thickness for the shank or chamber first. That being said, a "shot out" match barrel may still be more than fine for a hunting rifle.