• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Setting up a 5.45 AR Upper: Sights/Optic Question

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
Is there any reason not to reuse a MATECH BUIS and an EOTech 557, other than the fact that both are set up to compensate for the drop on 62 gr 5.56 out to 600M? And if you wouldn't reuse them (I'm going to 5.45, for sure), what would you use instead?

Re: Setting up a 5.45 AR Upper: Sights/Optic Question

Are you completely getting rid of 556 and everything to go with it and not having a 556 AR at all.

If so I think its not a good idea if you are in the US and shooting surplus 545 keep this in mind. If the current administration decides that they are no longer going to allow the importation of surplus ammo and the 545 stash that is in the states and coming in now dries up ..... where are you going to get ammo? There are no domestic ammo manufacturers making 545, and I dont believe that there is anyone that is going to.

With that being said I would trade both for plain janes, 552, and a regular flip up, if I was going to run 545.

I know all about the possibility of a ban on importation, and I'm willing to face the chance that what I currently have is it. Since I have enough to send an infantry platoon out on patrol, plus, all for my little old self, I think I'll be okay.

Your point about the 552 is well taken. I was thinking Aimpoint, but what do you like for a rear BUIS?

i recently went from the matech to the troy. i really like it. the main reason i got it was for the matching flip up as well. if just a buis for the rear, y not use the matech and just put it on the line and zero it. not many other sights have adjustment for drop. so you wouldnt really be gaining or losing anything so just put it at 300 and zero it and call it good. fyi i like the troy as well because it has both small and large apetures. just my .2 cents

josh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know all about the possibility of a ban on importation, and I'm willing to face the chance that what I currently have is it. Since I have enough to send an infantry platoon out on patrol, plus, all for my little old self, I think I'll be okay.

Your point about the 552 is well taken. I was thinking Aimpoint, but what do you like for a rear BUIS? </div></div>

Personally I would take an Aimpoint over an Eotech, simply because I find the Eotech's busy for my eyes. I have an astigmatism in my shooting eye, which makes the Eotech blurry to me. As for the Aimpoint I can find them easier, and I prefer a 4moa over the 2moa versions, even though its harder to get a "true" 100 yard zero with a 4moa dot, since its covering 4 inches at 100 yards. But there are tricks to getting a better zero wtih a larger dot. The 2moa dot seems to wash out and be hard to find in the bright sun for me.

As for a BUIS, I want to try the new Troy's with a diamond reticle rear. I like a same plane apeture. I dont care for the small apetures like on the matech because this past weekend I shot a match and ran irons only, and we had to shoot with a gas mask on, you cant get a cheek weild and trying to look thru the glass on the mask and then look thru the small apeture IS a complete pain in the ass.