• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up a LCD on a Forster Co-AxJust got a coup

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
Just got a couple of Lee Collet dies for Xmas, and in setting them up, I had a question. Lee gives 2 types of set up directions--those for Lee presses and 'other types of presses that toggle or snap over center'.

Which set up option do I choose? The first has you going 1 turn past the shell holder, and the 'other' option has you going two turns.

I set it up with the 2 turns, but it seems odd that the handle cannot be fulled depressed, and when you feel the collet bite (and handle stop), you have to apply a 'minimum of 25 lbs' pressure against this 3/4 deploy of the lever. It just seems like that is inconsistent...but that could just be the fact I'm not familiar with the die type.

Which way do I go with the Co-Ax...1 turn or 2?

Thanks!

Re: Setting up a LCD on a Forster Co-AxJust got a coup

I do not set mine up according Lee's instructions but get more consistent results by adjusting them so that the press cams over. There is no danger in this as long as you pay attention and go in very small increments when adjusting the die down.

Start with the ram fully extended and screw the die until it touches the shell holder. Put a case in and give it a try. Check or bullet grip. If not enough, adjust the die a little more down, maybe 1/16 turn and try again. Repeat as necessary until Bullet grip is sufficient. If it gets to where you are putting excessive pressure on your handle, you are going to need to polish your mandrel down. Work hardened brass makes a difference too. You may need to anneal.

John

Ditto to personally adjusting any die to do what I want it to do. Striving to "adjust" a die by some rote formula has never appealed to me.

Understand that excessive leaning on the press is a good way to drive that sizer's collet up and strip the die's top cap out. Once the case neck is firmly pressed against the center mandrel it won't get any smaller no matter how hard you push!

Saw topic title, thought you were setting up a tv on your press, now thats luxury...
grin.gif

Thanks guys...

I tried it the way you suggested (contrary to Lee's directions) and things seemed to go smoothly. No stripped threads, and the seating was uniform and smooth.

Looks like I'm using about 0.002" tension.

Don't know how they will shoot yet, but I'm heading to the range today :)

Spend the 30 bucks and buy a headspace gauge for your calipers. I ruined a few hundred pieces of Winchester brass in about 3-4 firings because I was overworking the brass. Had obvious signs of impending case head separation and verified it by scraping the case interiors, you could feel the rut.

All of these "adjust it till it touches then ease back a quarter turn in the northern hemisphere, a third in the southern hemisphere" methods are really imprecise.

If I had it to do over again I'd have bought that tool immediately along with the dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">???

Lee Collet Dies don't bump the shoulder...

John </div></div>

I'm not familiar with them. Its a neck sizing die only then? My mistake then, sorry!

I set my collet dies so that the handle of my co-ax hits the stops at the bottom of its stroke. To get the correct neck tension I turn the die down in increments and then set the lock ring when the correct neck tension is achieved.