• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up a Scope Correctly

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
If you are mounting a scope on a rifle for prone shooting, do you want to move it to the rear enough so that you can turn the power up all the way and not lose the clear full picture sight view?

The other day I was shooting a guys rifle and felt that the scope needed to be moved more towards the rear of the rifle because I was loosing the full field of view when I turned the power up to 20x. If I stopped at 14x, I had a full sight picture but at 20x I had to move up on the stock to make it work.

Re: Setting up a Scope Correctly

If you spend most of your time on a specific power then set it up for that. Otherwise, if your eye relief isn't to forgiving on your scope and you change the power often, I think most people recommend making it so its perfect somewhere in the middle of your power range.

When I mount my gun I try to land at a natural comfortable cheekweld...I move my scope to to match this sweetspot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I mount my gun I try to land at a natural comfortable cheekweld...I move my scope to to match this sweetspot. </div></div>In what position?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you spend most of your time on a specific power then set it up for that. Otherwise, if your eye relief isn't to forgiving on your scope and you change the power often, I think most people recommend making it so its perfect somewhere in the middle of your power range. </div></div>

I wondered about doing it this was but is it okay to not have a full field view on high magnification? Would not having the full sight picture make it harder to shoot well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I mount my gun I try to land at a natural comfortable cheekweld...I move my scope to to match this sweetspot. </div></div>In what position? </div></div>

90% of my shooitng is prone................

I match my scope and eye relief to max power. It will allow for everything lower that that because the eye relief is more the lower power you go. At least the works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you spend most of your time on a specific power then set it up for that. Otherwise, if your eye relief isn't to forgiving on your scope and you change the power often, I think most people recommend making it so its perfect somewhere in the middle of your power range. </div></div>

I wondered about doing it this was but is it okay to not have a full field view on high magnification? Would not having the full sight picture make it harder to shoot well? </div></div>
No that is not ok. Shadowing like that will throw the shot. Its something like if you have a shadow on the right, your shot will go left and vice versa. So as far as full sight picture, thats a requirement, not matter the position.

Thanks timelinex...sort of what I thought. I'll have to try this on one of my rifles and see how it affects accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I match my scope and eye relief to max power. It will allow for everything lower that that because the eye relief is more the lower power you go. At least the works for me.

</div></div>

+++1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I match my scope and eye relief to max power. It will allow for everything lower that that because the eye relief is more the lower power you go. At least the works for me.

</div></div>

+++1 </div></div>

Exactly.