• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up Hornady Sizing Die

Rmitch223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Oklahoma City
I'm fairly new to reloading. I'm getting ready to start reloading .243 for my Rem. 700 SPS V.

My question is that I see a lot of people setting up there sizing die by raising the ram and turning in the sizing die until it touches the shell holder then lowering the ram and turning in the sizing die another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I recently took a local NRA certified reloading class and the instructor suggested this method but does not have experience with the Hornady dies I will be using.

In the instructions that come with the Hornady dies it says to screw the die down until it touches the shell holder when the ram is at its highest position without camming over them lower the ram and tighten the lock ring and its set.

Which way do I need to setup my die for proper resizing to insure a safe and accurate headspace?

Thanks,

Ryan

Re: Setting up Hornady Sizing Die

I reload for about 8 differrent rifles and I use the same technique as supplied in your Hornady dies. Never had any head space issues, That is when I am resizing new or fired brass that hasnt been through my particular rifle though. I usually just resize the neck after fire forming to a specific rifle.

I plan on just neck sizing after they are fire formed. How do I adjust the die to just neck size?

The 'right' answer is to follow the manufacturer's instructions. The 'correct' answer is to measure the case shoulder on brass fired in your rifle with an appropriate gauge (reference Hornady Headspace Kit or equivalent) and then adjust your die to bump the shoulder back 2 or 3 thousandths (1 or 2 on a bolt rifle). The difference is the 'right' way can overwork your brass while guaranteeing working results while the 'correct' way adapts the process to your individual rifle maximizing brass life. The problem with the 'correct' way comes in keeping brass separated if you have more than one rifle in that caliber along with ensuring you are using the right die settings.

It doesn't sound like you purchased a neck only sizing die...

The only thing the instructions that comes with most FL dies is good for is emergency toilet paper. Buy a Headspace Gauge, use it and only it to set up FL dies, a .001 shoulder bump will shoot just as good as brass Neck Sized only, and it will chamber every single time, something NS brass won't do, I have heard all the benefits of NS only, but just one wasted trip to the range/hunt/match with ammo that won't chamber negates any benefits of NS.

I started resizing 10 cases last week when I got a case stuck in the resizing die. I was using Hornady one shot case lube that I didn't let dry long enough and the 11th case got stuck in the die. The die is currently at Hornady having the case removed and the die inspected and polished.

Meanwhile I tried chambering the cases I sized. They all were very tight and it was fairly hard to close the bolt. Im assuming that because of lack of lubricant the neck expander pulled the shoulder up when the ram was lowering. I chambered a brand new unsized brass no problem, so I'm thinking I either set up the FL die incorrectly or like I said the neck expander pulled the shoulder up due to lack of lubrication. Im really not sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on just neck sizing after they are fire formed. How do I adjust the die to just neck size? </div></div>

You need a neck sizing die if you want to just neck size your brass.

I'm not putting down Hornady's lube since I've never used it, but I'd suggest getting a tin of that Imperial Sizing wax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They all were very tight and it was fairly hard to close the bolt. </div></div>

Is this brass previously shot from this rifle or 1x brass you purchased?

Forget Hornady One Shot. Make your own. Better and cheaper. One part Liquid lanolin (health food shoppe), one part Castor Oil (drug store) 8 parts pure or nearly pure Alcohol. Isopropyl or Denatured. Put into spray bottle and shake, shake, shake. Put cases into ziplok bag. Spray three times, seal bag and shake, roll, massage. Dump into cardboard box and allow to dry for a minute or so. Size away. Best lube and easiest out there. I tried the Imperial...this beats it. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on just neck sizing after they are fire formed. How do I adjust the die to just neck size? </div></div>

You need a neck sizing die if you want to just neck size your brass.

I'm not putting down Hornady's lube since I've never used it, but I'd suggest getting a tin of that Imperial Sizing wax. </div></div>

I recently purchased that exact lube and that's what I will be using from now on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdEyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They all were very tight and it was fairly hard to close the bolt. </div></div>

Is this brass previously shot from this rifle or 1x brass you purchased? </div></div>

The brass is once fired from this rifle.

BirdEyes, and 427Cobra are both right on, I don't need to repeat what they said.

I'm going to try to make my own sizing lube after I'm out with this last bottle, thanks for the recipe former_naval_person!

I know I should bump the shoulder of fired brass back .001-.002, but what about new brass when full length resizing? What dimension should the headspace be set to when sizing? Min SAAMI spec? Or the highlighted dimension is the attached pic?

243SAAMISpec.jpg

New factory brass comes sized nearer to the SAAMI minimum. In order to size brass fired in your rifle back .001"-.002", you will need a gauge to measure.

If you don't have one yet, I recommend the Hornady headspace (shoulder bump) gauge or the Sinclair version and use a digital caliper to measure your shoulder bumping. The Hornady set is a better deal since it will measure a good array of calibers.

The Wilson style drop in case gauges work to show you if your brass is over or under sized, but they are not precise enough to measure .001"-.002" of bump.

The RCBS precision mic works well, but it is only in one caliber and you need a different one for each caliber. They are expensive compared to the Hornady set
that will measure an array of calibers.

So I do not need to size my new brass at all? How do I make sure the necks are uniform without sizing?

Many reloaders do resize new factory brass, but only to iron out any dents in the necks caused by shipping.

I usually use a neck only die to do this, but you can use a standard F/L die.

It's not necessary to try to bump the shoulders back on factory new brass, it comes F/L sized to near SAAMI minimum specs.

You can't move the shoulders on virgin cases, they are already too short to enter the die far enough for that.