• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up new DPMS LR-308

treebasher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Billings, MT
I just picked up a very lightly used DPMS LR-308 so I can try out some LR shooting with a semi-auto.

Here are the parts that I am thinking about throwing at it:

* 20 MOA adapter rail - Bager, EGW, ?? Or can I get away with rings straight on the upper receiver?
* Falcon 4-14 FFP scope (already have it)
* Magpul PRS
* RRA 2 stage match trigger (already have it)

Also I have some 168 A-MAX's and some Varget. Anyone have a magic load for this combination?

Any other suggestions with this rifle?

Thanks!
treebasher

Re: Setting up new DPMS LR-308

From what I understand mine was not the typical LR308 but I had a tent stake for a barrel and had to replace it. It shot 2-3" groups but now it's at .5-.75 with the Krieger barrel.

Sweet! At least my tent won't blow away...

If it needs a barrel it is going on to some other loving soul that wants to screw with it.

What load are you shooting in yours?

Mine shot great with the 168 AMAX factory loads. Around .5-.75 MOA. Not bad for a factory semi auto.

Look at Hodgdon's site for load info.

Mine didn't shoot well with 168s. I now shoot 175s and it is awesome.

Best thing I bought for mine was a JP adjustable gas block for $75 and installed it myself. Now I can tune it with or without my can on it and not have my brass all chewed up.

I just shot one that was a 3/4 gun with Federal 168's

Mine REALLY likes Nosler 155 Custom competitions. 43.6 gr IMR 4895 LC brass with federal mag primers. ~2815 fps. 1/2" at 100 yards is not a problem at all. I tried the 175 a max with the same basic accuracy.

I'm running a NF 20moa unimount in order to get my MK 4 further forward. You'll most likely need the 20 minute base for any work over 1000 yds.

I highly recommend the adjustable block as well. Even without the can, it's nice to turn the gas down to save the rims on my brass. I also installed a Houge "rubber" grip that is a deffinate upgrade over the molded plastic.

These semi's really kick ass!!! ENJOY!