• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up the 4500NV Kestrel with Applied Ballistics or Horus ATRAG

Thanks for the intro.

How do you feel the use of the integrated solution compares to a simpler Kestrel and a smartphone based ballistics app? Is one piece of equipment a big win over having to enter wind and DA on what looks like a more cumbersome interface?

IMO yes, one it's quicker, two the kestrel is pretty rugged. Yes you can buy a lifeproof case or something like that for your phone, but I like how the kestrel is always updating as well. It's nice to point it at a target, point it at the wind, and boom you have a solution.

Also, most places I shoot don't have great cell service, so I notice my phone is often going dead quickly. A solution to this would be putting it in airplane mode.

Bottom line, both systems work, as someone who's used both, I like having the Kestrel with the AB or Horus app built in as it's quicker and easier to use. Fumbling around with a lot of gadgets can be a pain in the butt in the field.

I hope that answers your question.

DG.

I found that video searching on utube, I have a ab kestrel inbound and am trying to do my homework
Thanks

used it to get out to 1100 yards with out any problems/

eBN1ler.png
[/IMG]

S.A.C. Alpha 11 Action 20 MOA rail
Bartlein 26 inch barrel chambered in .260 Remington

140g Bergers 2800 FPS

I've not had a chance to mess with the custom curves. I did however use it in a match today, and my dope was SPOT ON. We had two others at the match using them as well, I helped them with some of the set up.

Not one of my shots was off due to elevation. I took 5th place *out of 25* That's my personal best.

I really like this Kestrel, and the software behind it.

I used the Applied Ballistics Kestrel this weekend at the Oregon Sniper Challenge and it was spot on.

We had an 800 yards cold bore where in CO my DA was 7500ft with my dope at 6.5 Mils, and here in OR the DA was 1000ft with the Kestrel calling for 7.2 Mils which was spot on. The wind was light 1 to 3 MPH and the Kestrel correctly called that. I made up a ton of points at 800 with a solid cold bore hit and the following 10 shots after.

Just in intro for getting your gun set up, I plan on a couple more videos for these units, but I know setting it up can be the hardest part for many.

Mr Geek. I currently own a Horus 4500 non BT. If you have any experience with that unit do you feel that the AB unit is of substantial offering in comparison.

really a question for anyone who has an opinion on this subject.

Thanks in advance

Sako

I also want to know if it's going to worth it to replace my Horus with the AB model. The Horus model has worked great for me over the past couple of years, but I'm always trying to keep up with the latest and greatest!!!!
Thanks ahead for any info!
Jim

If you guys need an instruction packet on the profile loader please PM me with your email and Ill send you a .pdf.

I was wondering when I capture the direction I'm going to be shooting in, the next option is to capture the wind. When I do, is it capturing the direction I'm pointing in and giving me dope as a crosswind? It seems like the "o'clock" it gives me is always off. Is it using N as 12 O'clock , or the target I've pointed out?

The 4500 features a built-in digital compass that allows you to measure the wind speed and direction. In order to display the crosswind, simply point the Kestrel down the runway or target and set the reference heading. Then hold the 4500 into the wind and it automatically calculates the crosswind with respect to the reference heading. It also calculates the headwind/tailwind the same way (headwinds are positive values and tailwinds are negative).

The unit computes a true full value "crosswind: value based on the heading you set it for and the angle of the wind to target. So essentially you use the # it displays as a full value calculation.

The 4500 features a built-in digital compass that allows you to measure the wind speed and direction. In order to display the crosswind, simply point the Kestrel down the runway or target and set the reference heading. Then hold the 4500 into the wind and it automatically calculates the crosswind with respect to the reference heading. It also calculates the headwind/tailwind the same way (headwinds are positive values and tailwinds are negative).

The unit computes a true full value "crosswind: value based on the heading you set it for and the angle of the wind to target. So essentially you use the # it displays as a full value calculation.

Right, that I understand. I was under the impression that in AB (gun mode) that you can capture the wind using the "camera" button. So far I'm able to get it to Capture the direction of my targets and capture the speed of my wind, but the direction of the wind seems to be off.

If that's not clear, as it's hard to explain let me know and I'll upload a quick video of what I'm talking about.

Thanks

DG.

I just booted up my Kestrel and went outside and on the main AB screen (fire solution screen) I highlight tgt hit capture, then hit capture again and pointed kestrel into crosswind and it gave me the correct clock direction with a bracket of WS1 - 0mph and WS2 - 7mph.

The wind direction was calculated off target direction. (Tgt was 12 o'clock) crosswind was 3 o'clock with a 5 second average capture of 0-7mph. This is also displayed on AB main screen as well.

Try re calibrating compass with propeller out and away from any metal material.

I hope this thread gains momentum. I am a complete novice to long range shooting and purchased one of these units. I am very impressed but look forward to fully exploring its capabilities.

I have a question for the guys with the ab units. I heard that when you change batteries you loss what is on the kestrel. Is this true?

Data shouldn't be lost but we did have a customer complain of it happening to him. We had him send in the unit for replacement. If this happens call (610)447-1555; ext 130 and will take care of you.

I recommend to sync your kestrel to the Kestrel communicator as needed to back up your data or use a third party app such as Kestrel Crumbs for andriod.

Thankyou. Just debating 4500 and stick with the ab on phone or 4500 with software. The kestrel crumbs app does it allow a user to backup the info to smart phone? And then transer back to kestrel as needed?

very cool. And data can be sent back to the kestrel also from phone with this app? Thanks again for the help.

I would like to know if there are any advantages and/or disadvantages between the AB and Horus versions of the kestrel?
Thanks

dieselgeek, nice video! I have the Kestrel AB in route so this will be very helpful.

ps. I subscribed to your youtube account for future videos.

Last edited:
Thanks Compact, I'm working on a review of the Kestrel now. I just need to get out to the range with my camera at the same time.