• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up XL 650 for the first time help please

junglejim23

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2008
Santee,California PRK
Ok guys I going to set up My Xl 650 for the first time today. I had been using a RCBS Turret Press before. My skill level is closer to intermediate than novice. I know that I am going to have to change all of the caliber specific things as the press came with 45 acp kit installed and I need to run some 308. My question is any tips tricks or things that I should look for ? reading the manual that it came with makes it sound way more complex then any other I have set up is it rely ?

when I am done here I have to go build a new Chicken Coupe and find a good spot for the pig pen got a long day planned.

Re: Setting up XL 650 for the first time help please

Did you get the video for it? That's probably the best thing to buy at this point. I ordered a copy when I order the press. Knowing I was going to set up for different calibers I got seperate tool heads, powder measures and stands besides the tool head stands & dies.

You really don't need to rush it. The steps are made to be setup in a specific order. If you get one in the middle out of adjustment, it's a real pain in the butt. Rushing it is a good way to end up with crappy ammo and mad at the world because YOU didn't do it right.

Call Dillon and get the video before doing anything else. Watch it twice before attempting to set the press up.

Good luck.

No I did not get the video I will have to order one. From the sound of it it is that complex. At some point I am going to have to buy some tool heads as I will be loading more than on caliber but after 5 cov. kits and die sets, case feeder, power trimmer, and swage I could not afford them !

+1 one what Victor said. Definitely get video and watch multiple times. Also Dillon cust service is great and they are more than willing to answer questions.

I had a 650 and now load on a 1050 for .223 and pistol.

Best thing to do is make 1 adjustment at a time.

Start with 1 piece of brass and go through each station.

Set your size die to decap and size properly
Set your neck flare on the powder die (for pistol)
Set your seat die for proper length
Set your crimp die.

After you get everything set individually, make a few dummy rounds and double check your seating depth cause it will change. Once its correct, add powder and adjust to get your correct drop. Fill the primer tube, add brass and crank away.

The 650 isn't hard to use, just use common sense and make sure you understand what is happening at each station.

After crapping out half a dozen Lee 1000s the Dillon is like a Cadillac. With either 45 acp or 223, it handles like a true champ. 308 is coming soon.

I am planing on loading and have the conv. kits and dies for 9mm,40 s&w,.223,308/30-06,38/357,45 acp.

I am fighting myself on selling the turret press, and getting some components. or keeping it and setting it up for pistol loading. ??

so do I need any special tools to setup the sizing or seating depths or can I just use some of my match stuff as a mesuring stick ?

I convinced my wife to let me bring the whole mess in the house and she went to the bedroom and moved all here crap and made half or the bedroom for my loading area !!!! im thinking i just got setup for a shit load of honey do's lol

I use mine for .45ACP only. I modified the casefeed piece to stop .40 cases from pulling the tube loose and spilling brass everywhere.

650002.jpg

My best advice is to follow the dillon instructions and if you have any problems call the Dillon 1-800 number. I've been using one of their reloaders for over 25 years and have found Dillon great to deal with.
MHO
larryj

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 650 and now load on a 1050 for .223 and pistol.

Best thing to do is make 1 adjustment at a time.

Start with 1 piece of brass and go through each station.

Set your size die to decap and size properly
Set your neck flare on the powder die (for pistol)
Set your seat die for proper length
Set your crimp die.

After you get everything set individually, make a few dummy rounds and double check your seating depth cause it will change. Once its correct, add powder and adjust to get your correct drop. Fill the primer tube, add brass and crank away.

The 650 isn't hard to use, just use common sense and make sure you understand what is happening at each station. </div></div>
+1- everything stated above. Read the manual first before getting started, and read it several times as you install each section of the press.

From the way the text reads you, you don't have any extra tool heads?

If that is the case, i would set up your first caliber and not get itchy and take all the dies out of that tool head to set up the next caliber till you get more tool heads.
As for setting up the machine and new tool head for 45acp 308.

Conversion Kit Program
I believe this is the correct program to tell you what parts match existing calibers.
Example, you dont have to change the shell plate on a 45acp to 308 conversion they are the same size.
So to save money you just buy the parts you need and not the whole conversion kits in this case.

Back to setting up the machine.
I will tell you how i set up my machine and you can take what you want from that. Everyone has a different way of dies and powder delivery.

.45 acp to 308.
Leave the primer system alone.
Leave the shell plate alone.
Get a New Power Die and install the powder funnel in it. Set it up the way dillon says.

Change the Case Feed Adapter
Change The Arm Bushing
Change The Body Bushing
Change The case feed disc
Your caliber change should be done.

This is the way my tool head(s) are setup on 308 from staion one to station five.

Decap die
Body Die
S series Neck Die
S Series Neck Die
Lyman Expander Mandrel.

I do all these in one series i do 50 at a time with case lube and the case feeder as fast as it can go...Love it.

When i load i'm setup like this.
A decap die, I usually tumble again and this clears the primer hole of any media i might have missed.
The Dillon powder die and powder funnel
A powder check system
A Redding Competition Seating die
and a Lee Factory Crimp die.

This could be overkill but these are the dies that i want to run.

Easiest Would be this from station 1 to 5
Full Lenght Sizer die
powder die and funnel
Powder check if you wish
seat die
possibly crimp die.

I use a RCBS Charge Master when i load my accuracy rounds.
I took a hand held powder funnel and trimmed it till it fits in the powder die.
I manually pour each round as it comes around.
There are a few options of automated powder delivery its only more money.(but you need more tool heads first.)

I hope this gives you some ideas of what can be done on precision rifle rounds and hope this is some of the information you were looking for.
Buy the actual video from dillon to watch all the major caliber conversions.
Once again, hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Junglejim23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planing on loading and have the conv. kits and dies for 9mm,40 s&w,.223,308/30-06,38/357,45 acp.

I am fighting myself on selling the turret press, and getting some components. or keeping it and setting it up for pistol loading. ??

</div></div>

You got a XL650 now, Why would you ever want to setup the Turret for your pistol? a 650 flys through pistol loading.
After your machine is setup with dies brass and powder you put the bullet on, pull the handle, and a loaded round is produced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Junglejim23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planing on loading and have the conv. kits and dies for 9mm,40 s&w,.223,308/30-06,38/357,45 acp.

</div></div>
You got a XL650 now, Why would you ever want to setup the Turret for your pistol? a 650 flys through pistol loading.
After your machine is setup with dies brass and powder you put the bullet on, pull the handle, and a loaded round is produced.
</div></div>

was thinking of setting the RCBS for pistol simply to avoid changing calibers on the 650

thank you guys for all the info

I have a 650 and I hear ya about having to swap from say .308 to .45. But when you get the conversion steps down with an extra tool head the process will only take about 10-15 minutes to change either way. And using the Dillon 650 for pistols is waaaay faster than most turret presses out there.

But being the lazy person I am, when I make the conversion from .308 to .45 (with .308 being my preferred setup), I usually try to make a couple of thousand rounds of .45 to keep me going for a while before I need to make more. To make a couple of thousand rounds of .45 is much quicker than I imagined.

Oh yeah, I also purchased a shell carrier for the auto shell feeder and that is switched without tools. Just lift the rifle carrier out and put in the pistol carrier plate. Really quick.

This is one way of using the Dillon 650 and not having to swap conversions that ofter where it becomes a pain in the butt.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dighawaii</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 650 and I hear ya about having to swap from say .308 to .45. But when you get the conversion steps down with an extra tool head the process will only take about 10-15 minutes to change either way. And using the Dillon 650 for pistols is waaaay faster than most turret presses out there.

But being the lazy person I am, when I make the conversion from .308 to .45 (with .308 being my preferred setup), I usually try to make a couple of thousand rounds of .45 to keep me going for a while before I need to make more. To make a couple of thousand rounds of .45 is much quicker than I imagined.

Oh yeah, I also purchased a shell carrier for the auto shell feeder and that is switched without tools. Just lift the rifle carrier out and put in the pistol carrier plate. Really quick.

This is one way of using the Dillon 650 and not having to swap conversions that ofter where it becomes a pain in the butt.

Good luck. </div></div>

I am the ultimate in lazy when it comes to conversions. I have 2 650's with case feeders. One set up for large primers, the other for small primers. I have seperate tool heads, each with it's own powder drop. Several calibers can use the same shellplate so that helps. Once it is initially setup, like dighawaii stated, change overs are not very time consuming. Try to load in bulk. It is much easier to run 500 or 1000 at a time and have ammo on hand, than to try to keep loading 100 every week. The 650 is awesome for pistol loading. It takes more effort for rifle. I do depriming on a single stage, then tumble to remove lube, then run through the 650 to prime, charge, and seat bullets. You will love that thing once you get used to it.