• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setup For PRS?

BuyDirt

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2022
Texas
I have my first pretty respectable .22lr rifle. I've had some 10/22s over the years but never a "real" 22lr bolt gun worth anything.
It also seems that there is a range in my town that runs some .22lr PRS matches. I'd love to shoot them, schedule permitting. I'm wondering how my set-up will work and if I'll need to seriously swap anything out in the immediate future. Biggest question I have is glass. I have some decent options available to me but if I need to get something different, I'll do my darndest to figure it out.
Current set-up:
VuDoo G1 Kukri 18" w/brake (a silencer is in the plans)
3 mags
20MOA pic rail
MPA BA chassis
Harris bi-pod w/pod lock
Leupold VX5HD 3-15

I think the biggest thing I'm missing right now is bags but I have something I can probably make work to get me through until I figure out what I need.
I have an 8-32 NF NXS doing nothing at the moment as well as a 3-9 VXR. If one of those is "better" let me know. I figured the 8-32 would be a bit tough on the low end and the 3-9 wouldn't be enough on the high end.

Let me know what y'all think of this as a beginner set-up and if there's anything glaringly "wrong".

No such thing as wrong, just what works for you. I’d grab a game changer, fortune cookie etc and start shooting matches.

Reactions: hlee and nikonNUT
I have my first pretty respectable .22lr rifle. I've had some 10/22s over the years but never a "real" 22lr bolt gun worth anything.
It also seems that there is a range in my town that runs some .22lr PRS matches. I'd love to shoot them, schedule permitting. I'm wondering how my set-up will work and if I'll need to seriously swap anything out in the immediate future. Biggest question I have is glass. I have some decent options available to me but if I need to get something different, I'll do my darndest to figure it out.
Current set-up:
3 mags
20MOA pic rail
MPA BA chassis
Harris bi-pod w/pod lock
Leupold VX5HD 3-15

I think the biggest thing I'm missing right now is bags but I have something I can probably make work to get me through until I figure out what I need.
I have an 8-32 NF NXS doing nothing at the moment as well as a 3-9 VXR. If one of those is "better" let me know. I figured the 8-32 would be a bit tough on the low end and the 3-9 wouldn't be enough on the high end.

Let me know what y'all think of this as a beginner set-up and if there's anything glaringly "wrong".

Don’t know if your scopes are all FFP, but if they are pick the one that has a useable reticle and gives the best FOV at 15x and has forgiving parallax (can it be used from 50 to 150yds without changing it).

Some 2” masking tape and a sharpie, later some form of data card holder.

A bag or backpack to lug your shit around in, just use what ever you have to start. These back packs will grow over time, some turn into strollers and wagons and pretty sure people will start showing up with side by sides pulling a trailer.

Then I would say go shoot a match, guys will let you use their bags, bipods and what ever else you want to try to see what works for you.

If you like it you will probably end up getting an arca plate, I’m using Area 419 plate with their game changer shmedium and a Dbag.
The competition side rails from MPA are also nice but some of the arca clamps will not work with them.

You will also want your bipod to be arca mounted for some positions, RRS SC-ARC and it works with the competition side rails. I think this would work with your Harris if you get the Arms 17 adapter also, but you don’t need to get all this to start.

My first shoot I ended up in a great squad and they helped a lot giving me gear and tips. One guy in the squad showed up with a 10/22 with a dot scope so you are already way ahead of the game.

Have FUN

Reactions: nikonNUT
Looks like you are on your way! One very cheap addition I would suggest is a mag loader. There is a fella here on the hide that 3D prints them for $10.00 and they have all but eliminated rim lock for me (but maybe I just suck?). Also, take a pair of binos with you so you can find the targets. Maybe that is just me as well but I've shot matches where I had to ask where they were. :LOL: Another plus is you can look at eviros like grass or dust moving as well as mirage to get a feel for the wind at the target. Don't be afraid to ask if you can looks thru someones spotter or binos either. I've never been told no. Lastly... have fun, be a sponge, and most importantly HAVE FUN! This little hobby isn't paying the bills (for me anyways) so just enjoy!

Last edited:
How far out do they shoot at your local PRS matches? Reason I ask, a 20MOA scope rail with a 50 yd zero is going to limit how much elevation you can dial for further distances beyond 200-250 yds. I’m running a 30MOA rail (Area 419 rail) and another 20MOA of cant from the rings. That gives me 24MILs and change of ‘up’ that I can dial to get out to 450-ish. For 300 yds which is the typical max distance I see at local PRS22 and NRL22 matches I need 12MILS and change.

As far as scope, I think your 8-32x would be a better choice over the 3-9. Granted, most of the time you’ll be around 15-18X so won’t need the 32x max but it’s nice to have. Hopefully it is front focal plane, has an Xmas tree reticle, and a parallax that goes down to at least 35 yds. MILs or MOA?

I added a 14” Arca rail to my rifle. In addition to being able to share bipods with my centerfire rifle, it also allows me to suck the bipod in close for shooting off the top of a barrel or if nothing else gives me a flat surface on the bottom of the rifle to rest on top of a bag. I went with the weighted Area 419 rail so I could move weights around to balance the rifle a few inches in front of the magwell.

Bags: I made my own bags to start with but eventually bought 2 bags that I use 90% of the time. A D-bag with Arca clamp (another reason to get the 14” Arca rail) and a Schmedium w/ heavy weight fill. The Schmedium doubles as my rear bag when shooting prone or I use it to rest the rifle on when shooting off barricades.

Lastly, what are you using to calculate your holds at various distances? StrelokPro is a good app provided you can get environmental data from somebody (or Google the Nat’l Weather Service) or get a Kestrel 5700 with Applied Ballistics (AB).

For scope use FFP. Don’t use a SFP unless you want to be frustrated. 15-18x is workable but sometimes nice to have a little more depending on stages of fire and targets.

For bags just get one of the usual suspects or better yet go to a match and try them first. Most will let you use their gear to try and it will save you some time and money.

Keep the suppressor for fun time and leave it home for matches. No need to be quiet and they can cause POI shifts.

What you have will get you shooting so go shoot and see what needs changing.

Don't know where in Texas you are but if you're talking about North Texas Rimfire in Mountain View just show up and folks will loan you bags to try. Some pretty good shooters around there and they'll let you look through their glass and tell you what they like or don't like about it. I know that the guys up in Stillwater, OK are the same way and I've never heard of any .22LR club that isn't the same way.

Welcome to the hobby.

Sounds like a good set up. Just grab a schmedium game changer or similar style bag, and choose the scope that parallax’s down to 25 yards and is ffp and then preferably mil.

If I recall the NXS 8-32's reticle subtends true at 22X.

Which is fine if you leave it there mostly.

But some instances you want less power for faster transitions from target to target and in the longer matches more power to spot your splashes.

If the scope doesn't have a subtended reticle for measuring misses and performing holdovers and holdoffs....its a non starter. We even had a mover at one X match....the subtended reticle makes it far easier. The stages where you can't touch your turrets make the reticle a make or break proposition when time is a factor.

Reactions: BuyDirt
I have 20 MOA rail and have no issues shooting 300 yds. I’m around 11.5-12 mil. And yes a kestrel elite is a nice piece of equipment. It’s helped a lot.

I shot my first few matches fighting the bag. Didn't like it. Didn't need it. Then I actually borrowed a good bag and became a true believer. I still only have the one bag. Makes making a decision of 'what bag do I use?' much easier when you only have the one

Course shooting your first few matches with a BMR with a 4-12 on it isn't the best way to start, but that's what I had.

I found a pillow bag here for less than new, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I guess you could say I've been assimilated.

Most guys you'll shoot with are like the pusher man. Here try my... Try my...

M

Stop listening to us on the internet and go to a match, you have more than enough to show up and shoot. Watch what others have and do and ask a lot of questions. Everyone's specific needs and preferences will be different.

And like Mikeshaw2 said, most folks at a match are more than happy to let you try their gear.

Current set-up:
3 mags
20MOA pic rail
MPA BA chassis
Harris bi-pod w/pod lock
Leupold VX5HD 3-15

I see you are in Texas. Where about? There is a great 22 match in Goliad, I've been there a few times. Great people to be around.

Who the fuck puts a muzzle brake on a 22LR?

LOL

I bet 50% of the guns I've seen at bthe match have suppressors, then 25% tuners and then Tuners with brakes or just brakes. Maybe see one or 2 guns with nothing on the end of them. The brakes I've seen range from something that looks like it should be on a 300 in mag to the ones that look like a swiss wheese tube.