• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors several questions : suppressor newbie here

kennisondan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2006
louisiana
1. I have a ruger mark 2, .22 LR one inch by five point five inch bull barreled shooter... : ... should I have the front sight removed or pushed back and the barrel threaded ? do I need to change the slide stop to prohibit semi auto fire to deaden the sound more if I want it really quiet with long rifle ammo ? will I need to use slower than standard speed with that barrel for full suppression of the sound ? is there a table comparing different cans and guns equally against one another to see what sound suppression results for x amount of dollars, etc. ? would it be better just to get another barrel or gun that would allow me to shoot the can with other 22s like bolt, semi autos etc ? if it is a big deal to mill and thread the larger OD barrel I can just replace that as I can get a small diam. barrel or complete gun on the cheap .. no big deal..

2. I want to suppress my 45 auto Kimber .. am I looking for trouble or is the neilsen adaptor /booseter well worked out and effective for semi auto fire with standard fmj factory loadings ? does the semi auto set up for the 45 prohibit the same can from adapting to a 45 single shot, revolver, etc ? I am confused about the neilsen booster thing and its relation to the can etc. causing a problem with adapting to other non-semi weapons.

3. ? Can I use one can for each of the following groups by getting the barrels milled to the same size on the muzzle end and choosing a thread pattern for all of them ?
PURPOSE : I want to use one suppressor on several large bore single shot contender and encore single shot rifle and pistol cartridge barrels arranged in groups ?? :
(GROUP ONE : )I have barrels for .358 winch./ 35 rem./ 308/ as one similar group ( I am assuming I can use one can for all of those if I thread them or get the right adaptor ??? ) my concern is : the contour of the barrels are sporter weight, and most are slightly different than each other...I do not want separate barrels for can use and unsuppressed use in this application.. I already have scopes, etc. on each of these and plenty of ammo and components...

(group two ) with my encore frame, for a long, but pistol length large bore : one barrel that chambers and shoots 454 casull -45colt- 460 S&W the slugs are the same size but I will use much different velocity loadings at times ( I can/will load the 45 at subsonic velocity and use the other two calibers in the same barrel only for heavy whoppers at high speed like 250 or 350 gr. at 1800-2200fps or a little more IIRC>>

(group three) : and finally a few barrels that are for 223 ( long gun and pistol )the only problem there is the different contours from one half inch to light sporter weights.. (unless I can shoot the 22 mag and 22 short with the same can, then I will thread or put adapters on those also... ) is the can to be used with 223 and 22 long rifle have to be larger, longer and more expensive to do the high power double duty? would you suggest a light small pistol can for 22 rimfire and a separate can for 223 ?

thanks.. I know this is a lot but I am likely to make a move on all this once I gather more Intel than I have at the moment and I do trust you guys to have experienced opinions..

If I can do multiple weapon duty with a few cans; I will start with three : 308 group/ 22 group/ and 45 group... the 22 will need to be the most silent for urban useage... the 45 will be for various usages but may be used inside a dwelling or building for defensive deployment on the 1911 and subsonic with the 45 colt loadings but full house with the 454 /460 smith rounds on rare occasions by comparison .... the 308 group will be used only in the field planned for primarily full house loadings for hunting quietly as possible while protecting my hearing and maintaining a lower profile than unsuppressed;

Another question : if the round is not going to be subsonic in most cases (308) will I need to spend significantly more / use a larger can / etc.??
if the round is going to be subsonic almost always : (45 cal.) will a smaller lighter can do the job than if I was using a hotter round all the time ?
if the can is going to be used for mostly suppressed 22 rimfire use but to tone down 223 report on occasions... will the 22 rimfire cans work/suppress the 223 or will I need a 223 can to use it on that rifle round and then just deal with the extra weight on the pistols and rifles in rimfire I will mostly shoot it on ?

thanks..
if I should have broken this into many smally questions over several days please forgive me.. I am full of questions and expect to sell some stuff to arrange for my suppressor collection so have planning and education to glean to launch this effort right.
dk

Re: several questions : suppressor newbie here

[In general] You CANNot suppress a revolver, Hollywood not withstanding.

Go to silencertalk.com and do a lot of seaching and reading, before you post any questions. You'll find a lot of your answers already there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You CANNot suppress a revolver, Hollywood not withstanding.

</div></div>

yeah you can!Ever heard of a Nagant revolver?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

1. I have a ruger mark 2, .22 LR one inch by five point five inch bull barreled shooter... : ... should I have the front sight removed or pushed back and the barrel threaded ? do I need to change the slide stop to prohibit semi auto fire to deaden the sound more if I want it really quiet with long rifle ammo ? will I need to use slower than standard speed with that barrel for full suppression of the sound ? is there a table comparing different cans and guns equally against one another to see what sound suppression results for x amount of dollars, etc. ? would it be better just to get another barrel or gun that would allow me to shoot the can with other 22s like bolt, semi autos etc ? if it is a big deal to mill and thread the larger OD barrel I can just replace that as I can get a small diam. barrel or complete gun on the cheap .. no big deal..

<span style="color: #FF0000">You could send it off to get chopped and threaded or buy a Paclite upper for it and 4-5 inches seems to be the magic number for the length of the barrel so most rounds will stay subsonic.Use your thumb to hold the bolt close when shooting,it's cheap and effective,Ive done it. </span>

2. I want to suppress my 45 auto Kimber .. am I looking for trouble or is the neilsen adaptor /booseter well worked out and effective for semi auto fire with standard fmj factory loadings ? does the semi auto set up for the 45 prohibit the same can from adapting to a 45 single shot, revolver, etc ? I am confused about the neilsen booster thing and its relation to the can etc. causing a problem with adapting to other non-semi weapons.

<span style="color: #CC0000">IMHO I would get a boostered 45 can,it helps negate the weight of the can and helps it cycle,The AAC Evo-45 comes with a fixed spacer which allows you to use it on a fixed barrel. </span>

3. ? Can I use one can for each of the following groups by getting the barrels milled to the same size on the muzzle end and choosing a thread pattern for all of them ?
PURPOSE : I want to use one suppressor on several large bore single shot contender and encore single shot rifle and pistol cartridge barrels arranged in groups ?? :
(GROUP ONE : )I have barrels for .358 winch./ 35 rem./ 308/ as one similar group ( I am assuming I can use one can for all of those if I thread them or get the right adaptor ??? ) my concern is : the contour of the barrels are sporter weight, and most are slightly different than each other...I do not want separate barrels for can use and unsuppressed use in this application.. I already have scopes, etc. on each of these and plenty of ammo and components...

(group two ) with my encore frame, for a long, but pistol length large bore : one barrel that chambers and shoots 454 casull -45colt- 460 S&W the slugs are the same size but I will use much different velocity loadings at times ( I can/will load the 45 at subsonic velocity and use the other two calibers in the same barrel only for heavy whoppers at high speed like 250 or 350 gr. at 1800-2200fps or a little more IIRC>>

(group three) : and finally a few barrels that are for 223 ( long gun and pistol )the only problem there is the different contours from one half inch to light sporter weights.. (unless I can shoot the 22 mag and 22 short with the same can, then I will thread or put adapters on those also... ) is the can to be used with 223 and 22 long rifle have to be larger, longer and more expensive to do the high power double duty? would you suggest a light small pistol can for 22 rimfire and a separate can for 223 ?

thanks.. I know this is a lot but I am likely to make a move on all this once I gather more Intel than I have at the moment and I do trust you guys to have experienced opinions..

If I can do multiple weapon duty with a few cans; I will start with three : 308 group/ 22 group/ and 45 group... the 22 will need to be the most silent for urban useage... the 45 will be for various usages but may be used inside a dwelling or building for defensive deployment on the 1911 and subsonic with the 45 colt loadings but full house with the 454 /460 smith rounds on rare occasions by comparison .... the 308 group will be used only in the field planned for primarily full house loadings for hunting quietly as possible while protecting my hearing and maintaining a lower profile than unsuppressed;

<span style="color: #CC0000">I would ask the manufacturer about this,some cans can be used by multiple hosts/calibers but overpressure and the correct bore-size of the baffles is an issue, you need to find out about from the manufacturer as one can may not be rated for a certain caliber becasue of the pressure that cartridge generates.And last time I checked 358 wont fit into a 308 with out some issues
grin.gif
</span>

Another question : if the round is not going to be subsonic in most cases (308) will I need to spend significantly more / use a larger can / etc.??

<span style="color: #CC0000">nope,a bigger can wont help much so you may need to use subs to achiev the desired effect,I mean you could make one but it would be so long and bulky that it wouldnt be worth it.
</span>

if the round is going to be subsonic almost always : (45 cal.) will a smaller lighter can do the job than if I was using a hotter round all the time ?

<span style="color: #FF0000">most 45 cans are light (IMHO) cept the KAC but it's built like a tank and you cant go too small with such a big frickin hole the 45 needs, so no IMHO </span>

if the can is going to be used for mostly suppressed 22 rimfire use but to tone down 223 report on occasions... will the 22 rimfire cans work/suppress the 223 or will I need a 223 can to use it on that rifle round and then just deal with the extra weight on the pistols and rifles in rimfire I will mostly shoot it on ?

<span style="color: #FF6600">Ahem,I would not recommend using a .22 can on a .223 round if it is not rated for it,you can do the opposite,most .223 cans can be used effectively on a .22 platform but weight and length may be an issue and the .22 is a dirtier round.It can gunk up your .223 can alot quicker.IMHO it's just best to get a dedicated .22 can and a dedicated .223 can or 308 can for your .223 and .308 </span>

thanks..
if I should have broken this into many smally questions over several days please forgive me.. I am full of questions and expect to sell some stuff to arrange for my suppressor collection so have planning and education to glean to launch this effort right.
dk

<span style="color: #CC0000"> you asked some good questions</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You CANNot suppress a revolver, Hollywood not withstanding.

</div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0 </div></div>

I know about the Nagant, but he was talking a .45 (And I did not want to confuse things)

Since we are now splitting hairs, I added "in general" to my previous post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You CANNot suppress a revolver, Hollywood not withstanding.

</div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0 </div></div>

That's exactly why I bought the Nagant revolver.

There's a pile of answers to the qquestions.

In general, yes, you can use a larger bore suppressor to quiet down a smaller dia weapon. The first can my dad got a permit to build was in 50 cal, it works on everything from 22LR up through 45-70 and that includes 8mm Mauser and 7.6x54R loads.

We shoot a lot of heavy cast lead bullets at subsonic velocities.

Supersonic rounds are not quiet, they are much less blast and can be "ear safe" but the shockwave on the bullet is quite noticable.

There's several threads available in the reloading section, and I won't begin to start explaining all various things on loading for a can... they're a lot of fun though.

If you want a really quiet rifle round, look into TrailBoss and 200+gr round nose bullets for the 308. It wont cycle a gas gun, but its certainly very quiet. They do great out to about 300yd from the right barrel.