• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SF muzzle devices and SS barrels - can't remove Warcomp

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
So I decided to install SF Warcomp onto my AX308's stainless steel barrel. Both the muzzle threads and Warcomp threads were cleaned with acetone.
On the first threading, the Warcomp felt tight, but I still went all the way. However, when I went to remove it, the warcomp went half a revolution before getting stuck on the muzzle threads.
I was keeping the barrel inside the action, and the amount of torque applied caused the barrel to start unscrewing from the action!
Even after putting the barrel into a wise, the Warcomp appears to be "bonded" for lack of a better word. I had a chance to call Mile High. Their gunsmith said that it appears to be stainless steel to stainless steel galling and SF is known for making their threads a bit on the small side.
I am going to give it a few more tries, but afraid it's time to take the barrel to the gunsmith to sort it out.
Are there any other suggestions I can try to make the Warcomp move ?

I would try filling up a small bucket/container with some sort of liquid wrench or whatever you like and let it sit for a few hours fully submerged and try again, then work it loose tight loose tight until it comes off. If that don’t work throw a breaker bar on it and go get new threads cut on the barrel…

I was able to get it removed by a gunsmith. The issue was with the Mile High Barrel. The threading was slightly oversized, causing the Warcomp to be stuck.
The gunsmith was able to remove the Warcomp and re-thread the muzzle to be in spec.

• Sad
Reactions: 1911hombre