• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SF Solider Charged

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
whats going on here?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/former-d...trEAjEWRut3yHpiIpzJVJF6xjjkBQ79sW8HSPxEip1Qis

Former decorated Green Beret, after years of investigations, charged in death of suspected Taliban bomb maker
i-zxjs75c-xl.jpg

By Greg Norman | Fox News

Decorated US military hero charged with murder
While applying for a job at the CIA, former Major Mathew Golsteyn acknowledged that he had killed an alleged Taliban member suspected of planting a bomb that killed two Marines; national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin reports from the Pentagon.
A former Green Beret who told Fox News in 2016 that he killed a suspected Taliban bomb maker nearly a decade ago during combat operations in Afghanistan is now being charged in the man’s death -- a move his lawyer says is an act of betrayal by the Army.
The murder charge facing Maj. Matthew Golsteyn comes after years of on-and-off investigations by the Army following an incident said to have taken place during his 2010 deployment. A military tribunal that probed the killing years ago initially cleared Golsteyn -- but the investigation into him was re-opened after he spoke to Fox News' Bret Baier.

“I think he’s been betrayed,” his attorney, Phillip Stackhouse, told Fox News on Friday when asked how the Army has treated Golsteyn.
The once-decorated soldier, who had been on voluntary excess leave amid the latest investigation, has been living in a newly bought home with his wife and a 2-month-old baby in Virginia, working for the International Association of Firefighters, Stackhouse said.
Golsteyn was informed of the murder charge earlier this week after being ordered back into active duty.
“They have insinuated to me that they have new evidence,” Stackhouse told Fox News. “I don’t believe there is any new evidence at all.”

MilitaryDefender@MilitaryDefendr

https://twitter.com/MilitaryDefendr/status/1073294989960990720

MAJ Golsteyn is a humble servant-leader who saved countless lives, both American and Afghan, and has been recognized repeatedly for his valorous actions. We will be relentless in defending him. @Marinetimes @MilitaryTimes @NavyTimes @TaskandPurpose @washingtonpost @UAPatriots

1:14 PM - Dec 13, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

136 people are talking about this

Golsteyn, in 2010, had been deployed to Afghanistan with the 3rd Special Forces Group. Two Marines in his unit during that time in the Battle of Marja ended up getting killed by booby-trapped explosives hidden in the area.
Golsteyn and his men later found a suspected Taliban bomb maker nearby -- though he was not on a list of targets U.S. forces were cleared to kill, Fox News previously has reported. After he was detained, Golsteyn said the man refused to talk to investigators.
Under the rules of engagement, Golsteyn was ordered to release him.
However, Golsteyn was concerned that if he did so, the suspect would have in turn targeted Afghans who were helping U.S. soldiers.
“There’s limits on how long you can hold guys,” he told Fox News' Bret Baier in 2016. “You realize quickly that you make things worse. It is an inevitable outcome that people who are cooperating with coalition forces, when identified, will suffer some terrible torture or be killed.”
Golsteyn told Fox News he killed him. Two years later, he is facing the murder charge.

MilitaryDefender@MilitaryDefendr

https://twitter.com/MilitaryDefendr/status/1073294435188797441

This morning we learned that the Army charged MAJ Matt Golsteyn w/ premeditated murder, a death penalty offense for allegedly killing a Taliban bomb-maker during combat operations in Marjah, Afghanistan. @MilitaryTimes @ArmyTimes @NavyTimes @washingtonpost @TaskandPurpose

1:11 PM - Dec 13, 2018

85 people are talking about this

“Major Matthew Golsteyn's immediate commander has determined that sufficient evidence exists to warrant the preferral of charges against him,” U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesman Lt. Col. Loren Bymer told Fox News in a statement Friday. “Major Golsteyn has been charged with the murder of an Afghan male during his 2010 deployment to Afghanistan.”
The first Army investigation was undertaken after Golsteyn disclosed details of the incident during a polygraph test when he was interviewing for a job with the CIA in 2011.
Golsteyn, according to Army documents obtained by the Washington Post, reportedly told the CIA something that Stackhouse disputes – that he took the suspected bomb maker off base, shot him and buried his remains in a shallow grave before returning to the site to dig up the remains and burn them in a pit used to dispose of trash.
Stackhouse told Fox News the suspected bomb maker was released and later killed during combat operations in Marja.
Golsteyn, who had been awarded the Silver Star, the military’s third-highest award for combat valor, was initially accused of murder and conspiracy. But following the lengthy initial investigation by a military tribunal, no formal charges were filed.
Instead, Golsteyn was removed from the Special Forces and had his Silver Star taken away.
As for the latest case, Stackhouse says: “we will be relentless in defending him

A while back me and a coworker were discussing the state of affairs in the Middle East and I brought up the fact that the reason why the US military has got it's hands tied to it's balls is the rules of engagement. If it were not for that bullshit, the US has the full capability of turning that entire region into the world's largest strip mall, parking lot and used car dealership.

That aside, remember the old words of wisdom: Loose lips sink ships...

Regardless of what he personally felt, there are clearly defined rules of war that soldiers must obey.
We get around this by letting the CIA and "Contractors" do the dirty work and stuff that is illegal and needs to be kept off the books.

From what it sounds like, this guy admitted to the CIA as well as to a MSM reporter that he unlawfully killed a prisoner & then covered it up.

Pretty much he is asking for what he got as once you make such a statement, including to a "News" reporter, there is not really a choice but to take it through the legal system otherwise the ramifications become rather large if it gets out that we are openly letting actual military members summarily execute prisoners as they see fit. That's what we have the CIA and contractors for.....

Reactions: Bender
Its not illegal to kill any combatant in dressed civilian garb, period.

True, but if you actually have them in custody, they are disarmed and are your prisoner, not presenting any current threat, and you take it on yourself to go execute them without authorization AND then later on brag about it to the media.... it tends not to go so well.

He should have turned him over to the "other" guys.

Or if he really felt that he had to kill him, he should have stuck with the shoot, shovel and shut up.. and that means actually shut up for the rest of your life about it.

Had he shut up about it for good, it would have simply been brushed aside as bad things happen to bad people during war and neither side really cares all that much, one less scumbag from one view point, one more martyr getting his virgins from the other side.

He is only in trouble because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

It's everybody's obsession with taking pictures of everything, blabbing everything and wanting people to know all about what they do that gets some people in trouble. No photos, no records, no talking about it, no problem.

I haven't seen the interview, so I'm saying this with a grain of salt.

Talking about shit with people who weren't there, don't have all the facts or the ground truth, etc. Is always risky. On top of that, let 8 years go by and it's not looked at the same way. (Think of how normal shit in the 60s is looked at now) . Time makes people forget and makes Americans especially, soft. Many, righteously indignant as they never have to get their hands dirty doing what must be done. Turning their nose up at those who "did it wrong" though they'd never risk their ass, or their kids asses so they have no idea how it things come together downrange.

This guys should have been smart enough to know this. Fuck, the CIA started eating their own under Obama. That should have been a clue. He not only put his future in jeopardy, he put his team in jeopardy. Anyone think the prosecutor is going to stop with him? Conspiracy. Accessory after the fact. Any number of shit charges they can try to pin an anyone else who was in the A.O.

Reactions: Blutroop
True, but if you actually have them in custody, they are disarmed and are your prisoner, not presenting any current threat, and you take it on yourself to go execute them without authorization AND then later on brag about it to the media.... it tends not to go so well.

He should have turned him over to the "other" guys.

Or if he really felt that he had to kill him, he should have stuck with the shoot, shovel and shut up.. and that means actually shut up for the rest of your life about it.

Had he shut up about it for good, it would have simply been brushed aside as bad things happen to bad people during war and neither side really cares all that much, one less scumbag from one view point, one more martyr getting his virgins from the other side.

He is only in trouble because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

It's everybody's obsession with taking pictures of everything, blabbing everything and wanting people to know all about what they do that gets some people in trouble. No photos, no records, no talking about it, no problem.
Once you capture them they are a prisoner whether in the field or 8n confinement .
It is legal as Army Jerry stated . It would seem that the Obama Jihadi implants
remain in place .

Reactions: Bender
In October 1944, my Father walked into a barn to get some hay in his foxhole. He told me that he saw something flash out of the corner of his eye.

Then he un-slung his carbine and fired three shots in their direction. THEN he told them to come out.

That was enough to get their attention. An Officer and two enlisted men surrendered to my old man.

Audie Murphy accepted the surrender of a German LT outside a pillbox. The German LT spoke English.

Audie Murphy asked the LT if there were anymore inside the pillbox. The answer was no.

Then Murphy asked the LT, "Then you won't mind if I toss a grenade in their to make sure?"

The LT said something in German and several more soldiers came out of the pillbox with their hands up.

That's how the game is supposed to be played. It's too bad the rules have been changed since then.

In October 1944, my Father walked into a barn to get some hay in his foxhole. He told me that he saw something flash out of the corner of his eye.

Then he un-slung his carbine and fired three shots in their direction. THEN he told them to come out.

That was enough to get their attention. An Officer and two enlisted men surrendered to my old man.

Audie Murphy accepted the surrender of a German LT outside a pillbox. The German LT spoke English.

Audie Murphy asked the LT if there were anymore inside the pillbox. The answer was no.

Then Murphy asked the LT, "Then you won't mind if I toss a grenade in their to make sure?"

The LT said something in German and several more soldiers came out of the pillbox with their hands up.

That's how the game is supposed to be played. It's too bad the rules have been changed since then.

These actions are still lawful. Shooting prisoners is a violation of the UCMJ even if it’s allowed in some circumstances it’s lawful under international law.

The law should be changed but in the meantime it must be obeyed.

Can’t wait to hit my 20 next year and punch out of the military. Everything has become catered to the lowest working denominator, ie 18 year old that should still be living with mom and not serving the country. This is another example, this SF man should be given a Medal of Honor for likely preventing more U.S military deaths.

He let the Fox interview get ahead of him. STFU when it comes to this fucking war and take the shit to the grave. He saved lives and that is enough. It is a small community and keep it there. I don't need the details. I just sleep better knowing without knowing. I don't have a need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to me he only told cia under oath, thought he was protected by “professional courtesy” but didn’t realize that the government, especially alphabet organizations are no longer for America. That would also mean cia has rats and snitches

The buddy fucking of team mates began when he applied for a .Gov job that he knew would have a polygraph and background check with his particular skeletons in the closet. This is not a judgement on downrange actions but on a course of action he chose after the fact and how many others that can/will get wrapped around the axle because of it.

I know this thread is old but there was an update a couple days ago on my news feed.

Anyhow, yeah as stated above. If he'd shut his stupid mouth he wouldn't have any of these problems.

Added:
The thing that makes my radar go off is, if there is so much secrecy about this whole thing who released all this information in the first place? The fact that he had been investigated twice already should've told him to keep quiet, but the news just seems to keep coming out. Did the Army rat him out because they couldn't come to an initial conclusion? And why don't the actual chain of events get leaked. He didn't just take this guy out and kill him. He watched him do something then killed him. Long after he had been released.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but there was an update a couple days ago on my news feed.

Anyhow, yeah as stated above. If he'd shut his stupid mouth he wouldn't have any of these problems.

Added:
The thing that makes my radar go off is, if there is so much secrecy about this whole thing who released all this information in the first place? The fact that he had been investigated twice already should've told him to keep quiet, but the news just seems to keep coming out. Did the Army rat him out because they couldn't come to an initial conclusion? And why don't the actual chain of events get leaked. He didn't just take this guy out and kill him. He watched him do something then killed him. Long after he had been released.
I didn't read or I missed the part about thr SF soldier responding to something that the combatant did after release . Can you throw me a bone ?

I've never been a big supporter of lifers. Chances are this major doled out his share of bureaucratic punishment on others that could have been handled in other ways. But that is beside the point. The major should have never applied for a job with the CIA. That was just plain stupid and a set up.

Reactions: Blutroop and Fig
I didn't read or I missed the part about thr SF soldier responding to something that the combatant did after release . Can you throw me a bone ?
It was in one of the stories about him I read that the timeline wasn't just that they released him, he then took him out and shot him. it was that he watched him, then positioned himself where if the guy went the direction Golsteyn was hiding, then he knew he was going for bomb making material. That's when he say's he killed him.

I'll try to find a link.

Anyhow, even if this guy is dumber than dirt (which I suspect), he still should've kept his mouth shut. Non-disclosure means "Do not talk about anything you did."

Culpepper,
I'm sure the two Army investigations came up during his 'pre-hire' at the CIA. Agreed, that was not the time to try and further himself if he didn't have a plan to overcome that issue. Especially in this hostile environment towards anyone they can hang out to dry. Take Galvin and Thompson as examples.

Its not like he killed two seals,,,, good job by the green beanie, the deep state is not worthy of any veteran, they are the enemy of all that everyone swears to defend.

The Army Times article:
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...-murder-charge-for-2010-afghanistan-incident/

Interesting that down in the comments, Bo Bergdahl is mentioned and will be serving no time. Who is behind this shit?

NBC News:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/green-beret-says-he-was-charged-murder-because-fox-n948976

Note the last paragraph, that the insurgent was killed "sometime afterword" of his release.

The ABC version:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gre...s-trump-offer-review-murder/story?id=59865008

Noting that there is more detail as to when and where the man was killed.

USA Today:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...maker-murder-legal-killing-column/2367388002/

Interesting that the final thoughts in this article range towards if Golsteyn had made the decision to kill someone, then he committed murder as "higher ups" had not deemed him a combatant.

Added:
This is the one I was looking for: Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e59fbae7960_story.html?utm_term=.868f42c7b597

Last edited:
He let the Fox interview get ahead of him. STFU when it comes to this fucking war and take the shit to the grave. He saved lives and that is enough. It is a small community and keep it there. I don't need the details. I just sleep better knowing without knowing. I don't have a need to know.

This has to be AJ!

OOPS! Just realized I got it wrong. He was investigated first because of the Army. The second was because of the CIA interview.

I knew Bergdahl's company XO. He's the one that had to write the letters and send home personal effects. I believe him when he talked about what a douche Bergdahl was even before desertion. He felt life was getting off too good.

Without getting into specific crap, I've been there and seen that enough times to see truth, then what was reported on news (horseshit) then when ordered to say nothing to media (agree with that) but "here is the official story"(more horseshit).

Shit like this is why I retired when I did. After 10 years as a First Sergeant, I couldn't take the horseshit any longer.

See now, y'all just triggered my PTSD. Need to get to the other thread now. Shit pisses me off.

Reactions: ArmyJerry