• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SFP diopter LPVO setup I’m struggling a bit.

tps344

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2023
NC
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a Steiner M8Xi and the scope has lots of diopter adjustment on the eye piece and I’m trying to figure out what setting I should be running.

Out of the box the diopter is set on 0 or in the middle. This is all fine and dandy on 0, but there is more fish eye around the edges, and on 8X the glass is not that ultra super sharp as I’d like it to be. Using 1-7X is all super sharp though. I like this diopter setting because the picture I am seeing seems physically larger to my eye, and the field of view actually seems bigger and easier to see.

Now, if I adjust the diopter turned all the way in, I can remove all fish eye, my glass is super super sharp edge to edge on 1X and even 8X no fish eye at all, it even looks like a true 1X with super close objects inside of my house eye relief on this thing is so massive it’s like a toilet paper roll with the diopter turned all the way in. Now, here’s the downside, my scopes imagine is actually slightly smaller looking and feeling. I feel like the circle I see my picture in is a little smaller. I also feel like I have lost about 0.75X-1X of zoom on all zoom settings.

This is my question. Do we run more than one diopter setting depending on our zoom level? Is there a diopter setting you guys/gals run on 1X and also 8X too?

I feel like both adjustments offer benefits and downsides. And I’m just absolutely confused on what downsides/benefits are better.

Finding a balance for 1X and 8X really leaves 8X not as sharp as it should be on distance items. While setting the diopter turned all the way in makes 8X super sharp, and 1X a nice flat image with zero fish eye, the picture is slightly smaller and less zoomed. 🤷‍♂️

I appreciate the help. Or just tell me to stop whining, if you all feel that way and if this is all normal adjustments 😂 I am merely getting accustomed to using a scope.

GssKFIR.jpg

Last edited:
At what distance would we want to set true 1X?
That depends. If your goal is CQB where engagements will range from 5-15 yards then split the difference and adjust about 10 yards. But if you’re like most and will be doing 5-100 (where you’ll be using 1x mag) then adjust diopter for true 1x performance at 50 yards realizing that at 5 yards you’re going to see some perspective difference buy knowing it will be set to a broader range.

ILya had a good writeup earlier this year that may provide some more insight