• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SFP question

rgrmike

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I have a NF NXS 3-15x50 MIL/MIL. I know that in order to range or use the reticle for holds it is optimal to have it on max power setting. My question is, can I dial holds at any magnification or do I need to be on the highest magnification in order to get the most accurate come up? For example, if I need to come up 3.7 miles [MENTION=100785]700[/MENTION] yards does it matter if I dial my scope at 5x or 13x? In my mind dialing 3.7 miles would yield the same results regardless of magnification. I don't think it would matter but I just want to clarify. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
In SFP, your power setting must be specific for using the reticle to range targets. Your come ups should be consistent across the magnification range. If not, it's an issue for the factory to fix.

I'm new to long range shooting. My first nice scope was FFP so I never had any issues. I just picked up a NF NXS 3-15 which is SFP. I just wanted to make sure my understanding of how it works is correct. I'll be be able to get it to the range in a couple months and make sure everything is good to go.

You wrote "can I dial holds at any elevation". Which is an oxymoron....you either dial or hold over. Not both. That's OK as you are new, but using the correct language will get you better answers.

If you dial, the magnification does not matter on a SFP. If you plan on holding over, the power setting must be on the correct level for the reticle be true - typically the max power.

I'll commend you on a decent question. It seems every time I'm near a scope counter at a gun store there is an idiot in front/behind the gun counter (or both usually) trying to describe sfp vs. ffp and they do a horrible job. Mainly because they've never actually used one. Also, I think nightforce may do 10x on the magnification. I know a couple of there sfp's reticles don't work off the max power. There's usually a little dot on the magnification markings that identifies it.

I'll commend you on a decent question. It seems every time I'm near a scope counter at a gun store there is an idiot in front/behind the gun counter (or both usually) trying to describe sfp vs. ffp and they do a horrible job. Mainly because they've never actually used one. Also, I think nightforce may do 10x on the magnification. I know a couple of there sfp's reticles don't work off the max power. There's usually a little dot on the magnification markings that identifies it.

I have a NF 2.5-10x24 on my SPRish AR. I believe it does have a dot to indicate the appropriate magnification setting. I just never dial with that particular scope because the furthest I ever shoot is 300yds and I just hold over the target to get a hit. I'm not shooting comps or anything and all I need to hit is a man size/coyote sized target.

You wrote "can I dial holds at any elevation". Which is an oxymoron....you either dial or hold over. Not both. That's OK as you are new, but using the correct language will get you better answers.

If you dial, the magnification does not matter on a SFP. If you plan on holding over, the power setting must be on the correct level for the reticle be true - typically the max power.

Thank you for the clarification. I wrote "can I dial at any magnification" referring to the magnification that I have my optic set on.

I'm new to long range shooting and have never had any formal training with bolt guns or variable powered optics for that matter. I've utilized the info on the hide here for a few years and have really learned a lot. My first rifle scope was a S&B 5-25 which is a FFP. Utilizing this scope I've always been able to use holds in the reticle or dial. I recently purchased a NF 3-15x50 which is SFP. I'll be putting this on a hunting rifle as I wanted lower magnification, less weight and the price was right. I'll be zeroing @100 at 1000ft. elevation and printing out a dope card. Once I get to Colorado (elk hunt second rifle) i'll zero again at altitude (8000-9000ft) and get my dope for that elevation. I figured if I have time to set up for a long shot on an animal then i'll have enough time to dial my dope. I just wanted to make sure I was understand SFP correctly. I believe I'm all cleared up now.

That scope subtends properly at 15x.