• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SFP scope linear in different magnification

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
Just something I was beating around my head today. I understand that a mil or moa based reticle is accurate at one magnification in a SFP scope. I assume you can figure out what the scale would be at a different magnification but I don't really know. I guess what I'm asking is say if your scope ranges at 10x at say 5x will a mil reading actually equal 2 mil down range? Or is there an equation to figure out what it'd be.
C

Re: SFP scope linear in different magnification

I believe the answer to your question is yes. There's a thread in the optics section that addresses this. It's been ages since I read it. If I can find it I will post the link.

Here's the thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=939395#Post939395

Here's the professional answer to your question:

Originally Posted By: Jim Palmer
is there a way to correct for that with the SFP so that it will be accurate again at any magnification?

You can map your reticle so you know what the values are at different powers, usually we see it with scopes like the NF where people get the 22X, and they map out the reticle at 5X and 11X so they know what the values are, for instance on an MLR reticle from NF, you can use the .5 Mil Hash mark on 11X as 1 Mil, then the 1 Mil hash will be 2 mils, etc...

its easy if you take the time to do it, takes preparation to know what you are looking at and then you need to mark your scope and log it.

But it can be done, I wouldnt try to map every power setting, but usually you can half and quarter things.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw

Awesome thanks for the link. I'll check it out next time I'm kicking around. It was just something that was musing through my head. Thanks again
C

Anytime...BTW that was Lowlight's answer to Jim's question...I don't want you to think I'm smart or something
smile.gif

haha I saw that reading over the link you posted. none the less recited information is known information.

Confirm the magnification and physical power-point at which the reticle correctly subtends, and mark the location on the scope tube. Then calibrate the half-power point of the scope and mark its physical location on the scope tube.

Noted. Thanks Graham and Hondo for the input. I really appreciate it guys.
C