• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SFP scopes

eodusa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
How go guys with SFP mil dot reticle do their ranging?
I have a leupold 6x20 and the field of view is way too small at 20x. Can see me shot. I see why most old school long range guys like the 10 to 12 x range. Field of view much more reasonable and quick follow up shot.
Comments? Besides buy a new scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Put a yardstick at a properly measured 100 yard range (or a meter stick at 100M if you prefer meters). Adjust the magnification on the scope until the space between mildots is two mils - that would be 7.2" at 100 yards, or 20cm at 100M. Mark that spot with a paint pencil or similar. Play with the magnification a couple times and check the measurement again in case there is lash in the zoom mechanism. Use this reduced power for your ranging, remembering to double the measurement from the reticle to get your actual measurement.

Ideally you would also check whether the reticle is properly calibrated at the intended power as well, though more expensive scopes should be accurate.