• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SFP scopes

Watch_this71

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Columbus, Ga
I’ve got a second focal plane Nightforce NXS with the MOAR reticle. It’s in great shape and the glass is still as awesome as the day I bought it ten years ago. My question is…. In the world of FFP scopes, MilXT, PR2, and Tremor reticles, how relevant is a SFP optic with that reticle?

I honestly use it for killing paper and making steel go ping. But since the gf wants to get into PRS, I was planning on using it for that until I figure out what works best

I’ve got a second focal plane Nightforce NXS with the MOAR reticle. It’s in great shape and the glass is still as awesome as the day I bought it ten years ago. My question is…. In the world of FFP scopes, MilXT, PR2, and Tremor reticles, how relevant is a SFP optic with that reticle?
It is 100% relevant if the user understands the reticle.
Your reticle is speaking the same language as your turrets which is the most valuable thing to have baked in.

There are several drawbacks to FFP as well as SFP depending on what you are gunning for.
If your NXS was MOA turrets and MIL reticle like most of the first scopes on the scene with "Mil-Dot" reticle variations, I would likely encourage you to consider a change.

Your scope is still a player in 90% of realistic usages.

Last edited:
I honestly use it for killing paper and making steel go ping. But since the gf wants to get into PRS, I was planning on using it for that until I figure out what works best
Your GF can still get her toes wet in PRS with a SFP scope. You simply have to make sure she is educated about its limitations.

I WOULD NOT leave a perfectly good scope to drop high $ on an FFP scope for her to try something she may not attend a 2nd time.
If she tries the sport and likes it enough to stay engaged and work on the major weak link (the shooter), then gift her with a new fangled FFP.

Take some of the money you would spend on getting her a new FFP scope and send her (and yourself) to a legit precision rifle course geared toward competition. Much, much more usable bang for your buck and both of you would be able to make better informed purchase decisions afterward anyway.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Honestly it still works fine, are there advantages to FFP, sure, but take your time shoot some matches and try things. when you you have a picture of what you like and want then decide. On the other hand in about 5 min you will get several people asking how much you want to spend and providing opinions.

Your GF can still get her toes wet in PRS with a SFP scope. You simply have to make sure she is educated about its limitations.

I WOULD NOT leave a perfectly good scope to drop high $ on an FFP scope for her to try something she may not attend a 2nd time.
If she tries the sport and likes it enough to stay engaged and work on the major weak link (the shooter), then gift her with a new fangled FFP.

Take some of the money you would spend on getting her a new FFP scope and send her (and yourself) to a legit precision rifle course geared toward competition. Much, much more usable bang for your buck and both of you would be able to make better informed purchase decisions afterward anyway.

No, she has a FFP scope (she kidnapped my Accurate Ordinance build). And we’re gonna hit the May Altus course coming up.

I was told by my oldest daughter that my Marine Corps Operator 1911 was hers when I died…. She was 15 at the time. I felt the love.
Mine are starting a bit earlier than that. My son tried to grab my Precision rifle and my daughter has already claimed a 2"performance center 357 as her own, not to mention a pair of Kidd super grades they have adopted.

SFP, FFP...
If you are shooting with another person, it's very useful to be using the same system for communication purposes. This is why the FFP is so popular with the gaming bunch and those that shoot at bad guys for a living. Their reticle reads true at all zoom levels so they are able to communicate misses or get the shooter on a target easily and accurately.
The SFP is just as relevant as it ever was but if you are communicating with a shooter using a FFP scope, you may need to zoom to true your own reticle. If it's also an MOA scope and they are using a MIL scope, the situation is further complicated in needing to convert MOA to MIL and MIL to MOA.
You can easily communicate effectively without any conversions by just using target size as the unit. You observe your buddy miss high right. You call out "MISS, 2:30, half the target." He knows in his view finder what sort of correction he needs to make.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
SFP, FFP...
If you are shooting with another person, it's very useful to be using the same system for communication purposes. This is why the FFP is so popular with the gaming bunch and those that shoot at bad guys for a living. Their reticle reads true at all zoom levels so they are able to communicate misses or get the shooter on a target easily and accurately.
The SFP is just as relevant as it ever was but if you are communicating with a shooter using a FFP scope, you may need to zoom to true your own reticle. If it's also an MOA scope and they are using a MIL scope, the situation is further complicated in needing to convert MOA to MIL and MIL to MOA.
You can easily communicate effectively without any conversions by just using target size as the unit. You observe your buddy miss high right. You call out "MISS, 2:30, half the target." He knows in his view finder what sort of correction he needs to make.
Strangely enough, this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this.

Strangely enough, this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this.
By no means do claim to have ever been original in thought.

When I was about 5, I was looking at a globe and noticed how closely South Americas coast looked like it would fit into Africas. I got some paper and traced all the land masses and cut them into shapes. My Granddad came home from work and asked me what was going on and I excitedly explained to him how the lands must have been one big piece before earthquakes and those things must been huge (having lived in Alaska, I knew about earthquakes) huge enough to have created the flood that Noah survived. He agreed. Years later I find out that's sort of the theory and has been for centuries.

About 12 years old, I discovered I could use the zoom on an old 3x9 and a 30-06 and pretty accurately use the pointy thing or middle of the duplex reticle as a direct aiming point according to range. I figured that out by accident but I thought it was genius and I was also. Then I find out it's not a secret and fairly commonly known amongst shooters.

I recall in college I was all excited about discovering a new proof of a mathematical sort. My classmates agreed that my logic was sound and encouraged me to present it to my advisor. I eventually did and he was, at first, also excited. I was going to be immortalized with my name on a new proof! Then he thought he remembered having seen this before and we started looking through some books. He found it. My genius bubble busted again. This time it was permanent. The scarring is horrific.

I am not smart enough to come up with truly original thought.