• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sgt York just starting TCM

Im thinking not much.

Dont know much of the pre-war part but during the attack that was nothing as described or the pictures at the time indicate.

The Pennsylvania senate leader that was in the news a lot at the time of the November election did some research on Sgt Yorks exploits and believes he located the exact site of the actions.

That doesn't surprise me. It's entertainment, not history.

I was just hoping that since the producers thanked the people they'd interviewed, that'd done a better job of trying to get the history right.

It actually came far closer in the battle scene than some imagine. There were a LOT of made-up elements. His friends... guns were basically wrong.

But the battle scene and his 'trials and tribulations' with the USA are not far off.

It was, of course, made as a propaganda picture on the eve of WW2. So there was a lot of 'American exceptionalism' and messages that "Killing is ok with the lord."

But it's not as bad as it could have been.

York was a real hero. The extra 'story' of his C/O status was not lost on the folks making movies to support a coming war against Germany. Also, the SecState at the time was the TN Senator Cordell Hull. And he was not going to let his state go un-recognized and the "Volunteer State" moniker was important to the war effort.

Also no 'accident' that the movie about Audie Murphy (To Hell and Back) emphasized his poor upbringing and shooting quail in the head with a .22 to feed his family as a scrawny under-sized kid. Back then, Propaganda was all about making America Great. Not destroying it in a race war.

To Hell and Back was also relatively accurate in what Murphy 'Did.' But many of the characters and situations outside the battlefield were designed to motivate and rally the American People. Not to be a documentary.

Sirhr

PS. Love both movies!

Last edited:
It actually came far closer in the battle scene than some imagine. There were a LOT of made-up elements. His friends... guns were basically wrong.

But the battle scene and his 'trials and tribulations' with the USA are not far off.

It was, of course, made as a propaganda picture on the eve of WW2. So there was a lot of 'American exceptionalism' and messages that "Killing is ok with the lord."

But it's not as bad as it could have been.

York was a real hero. The extra 'story' of his C/O status was not lost on the folks making movies to support a coming war against Germany. Also, the SecState at the time was the TN Senator Cordell Hull. And he was not going to let his state go un-recognized and the "Volunteer State" moniker was important to the war effort.

Also no 'accident' that the movie about Audie Murphy (To Hell and Back) emphasized his poor upbringing and shooting quail in the head with a .22 to feed his family as a scrawny under-sized kid. Back then, Propaganda was all about making America Great. Not destroying it in a race war.

To Hell and Back was also relatively accurate in what Murphy 'Did.' But many of the characters and situations outside the battlefield were designed to motivate and rally the American People. Not to be a documentary.

Sirhr

PS. Love both movies!
York was using an m1917 enfield and a 1911 in real life. The movie shows him with an 03 and shooting down hinnies with a Luger he took off one of them. Always enjoyed the movie tho.

Yeah great movie for sure, Pall Mall isn’t far from where all of my family is from and where I was born that always meant a little extra to me as a young boy.

Really like the movie and Gary Cooper was also great in For whom the Bell Tolls.