• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Sgt. York

Hatchie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2009
West Tennessee
How cool would it be if someone did a remake of this movie?
Probably wouldn't happen. Seems like I heard the family didn't
really care for the publicity generated by the original or some type of issue with the family. Not really sure.
Any thoughts? I just think it would be an epic story made with
today's special effects.

Re: Sgt. York

Sounds like a good idea.

Everything I've ever read about Sgt. York and his family refers to their modesty and humility. The original movie was pretty simplistic and a little insulting to Appalachian folks and clearly is as dated and patronizing as many of that era that depicted mysterious ethinicities such as Blacks, Italians, Jews, etc.

The story of Sgt. York is a great one though and there is no reason a honest film could not be made to tell his story. Such an effort could accurately flesh out our history in the first world war: A subject sorely lacking in our nation.

As we approach the century mark of the Great War, we will likely see it explored from many perspectives. We lost over 200,000 men and the subsequent flu epidemic killed 20 million world wide!

The fog of time and incuriosity has obscured that monumental war from it's rightful place in history and it's continuing effects on our lives today.

An accurate telling of Alvin York's service in that war would be a brilliant way to cover a lot of subject matter.

Seeing as how I live less than 3 hours by car from where he was raised and lived, I have always thought he was a natural hero that demanded respect in a quiet way. Having also met and spoke to a couple of his sons that are Park Rangers for the state, I have to admit that they are very quiet people. If I hadn't noticed their name tags on their uniforms and brought it up, they never would have mentioned their family.

Yes Barry, thank you for that link. It took a while to read, but it was all MOST DEFINITELY worth it.

I recommend that everyone read it, at least once.