• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SH ColdBore Challenge ! Test yourself...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Starting Today, we are opening up the ColdBore Challenge Thread.

Coldborechallenge copy.jpg

Can you keep them within 1" at 100 yards !

The Objective : To test the shooter's ColdBore

The Method : Fire 3 to 5 rounds from any combination of:

Clean Cold Bore
    Fouled Cold Bore

The choice is the up to the shooter, but you should note which you are using for the drill.

Do not shoot the drill more than once on the same day regardless of how long you let the rifle cool.

Below is the PDF File, then you can post your results here.

http://snipershide.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Coldborechallenge.pdf

To double check on this - you want to see three to five shots on each bulls-eye, on 5 different days? Or one shot into each bulls-eye on 5 different days?

Shoot a cold group, 3 to 5 shots. Your cold bore shot followed by 2 or 4 rounds to see the change if any.

No warm up, no sighters, just out of the gate shoot a group.

It's not difficult, your cold bore shot, plus 2 = 3 shots, or add 4 more for 5.

Shoot a cold group, 3 to 5 shots. Your cold bore shot followed by 2 or 4 rounds to see the change if any.

No warm up, no sighters, just out of the gate shoot a group.

It's not difficult, your cold bore shot, plus 2 = 3 shots, or add 4 more for 5.

This is how I usually shoot a group anyways but my dead nuts zero varies from day to day with differrent temps and elevations from one range to another. I need to see if my solver adjusts for 100 yard zero with different conditions, it probably does and I've never looked.

Edit to add: I also need to keep track of my range trips in my data book, been slacking on my dope...

Last edited:
    [MENTION=50008]redirt78[/MENTION]

Hate to break it too you, the temperature is not effecting your 100 yard zero.

The conditions don't have time to act on the bullet to "change" things enough, more than likely you have a problem where you don't have consistent system. Scope, bedding, etc... it's not the conditions.

I zeroed my AX in CO at 7500ft DA loaded it in a case, flew to Oregon with 1000ft DA and my zero was the same, when I checked zero it was dead nuts perfect. Ammo was different lot, I had it dropped shipped, but zeroed from the "same kind", used a suppressor, etc.

You have an issue if your zero wanders ...

@redirt78

Hate to break it too you, the temperature is not effecting your 100 yard zero.

The conditions don't have time to act on the bullet to "change" things enough, more than likely you have a problem where you don't have consistent system. Scope, bedding, etc... it's not the conditions.

I zeroed my AX in CO at 7500ft DA loaded it in a case, flew to Oregon with 1000ft DA and my zero was the same, when I checked zero it was dead nuts perfect. Ammo was different lot, I had it dropped shipped, but zeroed from the "same kind", used a suppressor, etc.

You have an issue if your zero wanders ...
    Hell, break it to me haha. Good to know. One of my issues is probably me and I'm still learning. I did notice that I had a change in impact from prone to bench, not a big one maybe 1/4". Still working on all aspects of shooting. The most change in impact I have seen at 100 is probably 1/2" and I could probably be to blame for it. This drill will help me learn more about cold bore vs heated. I have a factory Remington tactical barrel cut down to 18" and it groups pretty good from cold to good and hot but I haven't recorded exactly where cold bore usually impacts.

Of course you can dry fire, by warm up, that means shooting.

I don't care how you shoot it, prone, bench, hanging under a helicopter, it's not that hard, so stop making it out to be.

I will have to get in on this so I can see how well I do.

1" at 100? Maybe.
    But 1.5" at 500m, definitely.
    Here's three shots from this morning including the fouled cold bore.
    All .1 Mil low and .1 Mil right:
    yhyzepuv.jpg

Last edited:
    1" at 100? Maybe.
    But 1.5" at 500m, definitely.
    Here's three shots from this morning including the fouled cold bore.
    All .1 Mil low and .1 Mil right:
    yhyzepuv.jpg

You are just showing off now :mad:

Different rifle. Clean cold bore. Five rounds at 500m, including the cold bore. 2.3" for .4 MOA.
    uga9edev.jpg

Last edited:
    I like this challenge Frank, I think it would be interesting for shooters to mark the first shot, though may be hard to point out with a group shot at 100 yards. I printed off a few targets and will take them to the match at Odessa tomorrow and see if any one else is interested. I will see if I can set one up at the 100 yard line to start my first day one. May take a 2 week span, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Regards,
    Dan

Does this mean that I have to start shooting my cold bores at 100 yards?

nope, 100 is just easy for a lot of people, you can shoot anywhere you want.
    OK, 500m, fouled cold bore plus two more shots from a few days ago. I called shot #2 right because I yanked the trigger on that one. And Yes, I was aiming at the center of the paper and not at the small diamond where the shots ended up:
    sa2aqa3u.jpg

Last edited:
    coldborech006.jpg

Frank, sounds like a cool drill.....I'm in.

Mirage was brutal and had a 15mph tailwind....FWIW, the barrel has over 300 rounds through since it was last cleaned.

Nice shooting guys, I got day one done this morning at the match, shot 3 at 100 and the next 2 with a 4 MOA come up at 250 yards just to see.

Shot this today at 850 yds, 5 shots. CCB is at 6 o'clock just below center. It strangely didn't knock the paint off for some reason. Last shot was the high flier.
    GAP-10 (7.62)
    Factory FGM 175's
    DA 1700'
    3-5 intermittent 12 o'clock wind

Without the flier...horizontal spread is 7". Vertical spread is...well...:cool: I should have quit after 4 shots.

752-g10-sep7-13.jpg

Attachments

• 752-g10-sep7-13.jpg
      752-g10-sep7-13.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 46
    Last edited:
    coldbore2004.jpg

Day two. Conditions were near perfect after a nice rain here last night. 55*F, slight breeze and zero mirage.

I dialed left 3 clicks after shots 4 and 5 then went for the record. The 2 sighters I shot for relay 2 was right where it wanted to shoot. I held about a crosshair to the right when conditions were there.

The rifle shot really good in the match, ended up with a 196-21V. That is my second best score so far.

Last edited:
    coldbore2004.jpg

Day two. Conditions were near perfect after a nice rain here last night. 55*F, slight breeze and zero mirage.

Its looking good so far and I could not imagine it will change much with the next 3 days. However wouldn't it be interesting to clean the barrel on the second to the last target to see what your cold clean looks like. But I am guessing that you may already know.

I whish my TRG was back from its overhaul. I would love to get in on this one. Maybe it will be home soon and I can jump in on it. This is one of the more useful drills yet. I just may give it a try with my 22LR @ 100 if that is OK with you LL.

Its looking good so far and I could not imagine it will change much with the next 3 days. However wouldn't it be interesting to clean the barrel on the second to the last target to see what your cold clean looks like. But I am guessing that you may already know.

I'll scrub it before I shoot day four......

Well, I'll tell you what,,, it'll be interesting when I shoot day 2 because on the way home from the match my friend had to lay on the brakes real hard because some moron got in the way coming up to a construction zone. Both of our rifles were in the back seat, his in a hard case and mine soft case. I felt mine hit the back of the my seat then it fell down to floor hump, with his rifle case wedging things tight. I remember I started to reach back to hold the rifles, but I turned back forward when I thought we were actually going to hit the other car. Looked like the guys brake lights were out.

Here is my cold bore 5 shot group from last Saturday.
    I was taking a precision rifle course and this was the first 5 shots of the first day.
    Cold bore fouled.
    442C9851-D4C0-427B-A96F-7A523D171FA9-363-00000032E828E81B_zpsaeb56e9f.jpg

Last edited:
    2013-09-09_20-30-58_765.jpg2013-09-09_20-31-26_302.jpgthey is what they is...maybe i'll be better tomorrow.
    Forgot to note..fouled cold bore on both rifles @ 100yds.

Last edited:
    day4001.jpg

Day four. I shot clean/cold. I'm not seeing any difference.....but I kinda knew that.

68*F and calm, clean air.

day5cb002.jpg

Just finished my last bullseye a few minutes ago. 70*F, only a slight breeze and clean air.

Cold bore fouled, cold bore clean, it didn't seem to matter.

Cold bore/clean bore= "Urban Myth".....to me anyway. I have had one or two rifle barrels that "threw" the first shot. They ended up in the garbage.

Very impressive psinclair! I've only owned a handful of rifles and have been lucky that they all shot the same dirty of clean, and cold bore shot within the group. If I ever had a rifle that the cold bore shot was off over 1moa I wouldn't be too satisfied.

Last edited:
    Day 3

nice shooting Sinclair and Savage... Here's my day 3... absolutely 0 wind at the gun, on the 243 target i need to give it about .1 mil down for cold bore from now on. That 5th shot i'm definitely gonna blame operator error, i pulled the trigger on a boil.

The first shot with the 260, hornady brass was used, the last four were R-P. The hornady round felt like it had more neck tension during seating, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with where it landed, or if i just let it play mind games.

2013-09-11_19-29-57_109.jpg2013-09-11_19-30-30_768.jpg

Great shooting Nate, I think everyone is doing great so far. This is really good data to be looked at here. So far my cold bore shots were left most in the groups.

Heres my day one and then day two right next to it. Pulled the last one on day two. I was so excited I had another one hole going I blew it. GAP 308 shooting 178gr Amaxs over 42.5 of var get. That's my best group to date on day one! Never had a rifle that shoots like this GAP. Can't wait to get my next one.

Edited to add this is fouled/cold bore

Attachments

• IMG_20130910_161703_562.jpg
      IMG_20130910_161703_562.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_20130911_184953_094.jpg
      IMG_20130911_184953_094.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 40
    Last edited:
    Just finished my last bullseye a few minutes ago. 70*F, only a slight breeze and clean air.

Cold bore fouled, cold bore clean, it didn't seem to matter.

Cold bore/clean bore= "Urban Myth".....to me anyway. I have had one or two rifle barrels that "threw" the first shot. They ended up in the garbage.

That is some fine shooting. Thanks for sharing. I hope to shoot my "day 2" group this weekend. My first target wasn't too good. I couldn't see the reticle dot against the black bull's eye. I'm going to try some neon green target dots on top of the bull's eye.

looks like some very interesting results..I may have a go at it myself...

I appreciate all the valued information..

Fired day 3. Reposted day 1 and 2 to keep them together. Again GAP 308 shooting 178gr Amax over varget. Each time point of aim was the corner of the target. Top left on day 2 and top right on day 1 and 3.
    Fouled/cold bore for each group.

Attachments

• IMG_20130913_090116_200.jpg
      IMG_20130913_090116_200.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 39
    • IMG_20130913_090026_568.jpg
      IMG_20130913_090026_568.jpg
      94.5 KB · Views: 41
    Fired day 3. Reposted day 1 and 2 to keep them together. Again GAP 308 shooting 178gr Amax over varget. Each time point of aim was the corner of the target. Top left on day 2 and top right on day 1 and 3.
    Fouled/cold bore for each group.

Why don't you use the same point of aim?

Why don't you use the same point of aim?

My son has riddle the targets I had set up with holes so I was picking spots without holes everywhere. I was going to group all five days on that one set of four squares, until my son filled the others with holes. Other than that no reason