• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns SH handgun Dot Torture challenge

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    So another thread took a tangent that inspired me to start this.

If you want to play, here are the rules: http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

If you use a striker-fired or SA pistol, use the original Dot Torture target

If you use a DA/SA pistol, use the TDA Dot Torture target

If you use a revolver, the whole thing must be shot DA and use the Revolver Dot Torture target that I came up with

To keep it simple, no time limit.

Results, post the following:
    • Date shot
    • Make and model of handgun used
    • Target used
    • Distance shot from
    • Score
    • Pics of target or it didn't happen

Attachments

• dot-torture-target.pdf
      25.9 KB · Views: 406
    • TDA-Dot-Torture-target.pdf
      28.3 KB · Views: 207
    • Revolver dot-torture-target.pdf
      75.4 KB · Views: 199
    I use to do something very similar but using 2" dots from 10 yards. Some of the dots were done slightly differently. For example on #5 I did a draw, one shot, 6x. All the sequences I did were 6x.

This target would sure use the adage "aim small, miss small"

Yup...it is an awesome drill. Here is my first one of the day. Cold. Have not shot a handgun in about six weeks.

Sept. 7, 2019
    Glock 17 Gen 5
    115gr 9mm
    15 feet
    Target? The one provided here.

Score: 45/50 (Do holes touching line count?)

Weak hand..got me good.

20190907_085410.jpg

@Centuriator here we go
    • 9/7/19
    • S&W 64-5
    • Revolver dot target
    • 5 yards
    • 47/48 All my shots on dot 2 were low but the first one was really low and hit dot 5
    • Yeah revolvers are a thing with me
    All draws and reloads from concealment.

Next week I'll do a couple with my CZ P-09 and P-01 and with my 3" Model 65

IMG_20190907_144653.jpg

S&W 64 dot torture 9-7-19.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Centuriator
    I will at some point, so I saved the targets. Looks like a fun challenge.

Here are some over the last year for me. Need to slowly move back to doing it at 5 yards.

Attachments

• 5E7392B8-31F4-4CA4-8378-75BAC608CD34.jpeg
      5E7392B8-31F4-4CA4-8378-75BAC608CD34.jpeg
      479.1 KB · Views: 117
    • 6ECE3973-B4AD-4D22-9314-E8DCD4BA228F.jpeg
      6ECE3973-B4AD-4D22-9314-E8DCD4BA228F.jpeg
      436.3 KB · Views: 125
    • 1FB3AF0D-F9DC-4CE7-B607-2ED46560D3D9.jpeg
      1FB3AF0D-F9DC-4CE7-B607-2ED46560D3D9.jpeg
      406.3 KB · Views: 121
    Reactions: TACC and 308pirate
    If this gets good interest we can have a drill of the month challenge.

Just for the fun of it, right!

It's real windy today, and I didn't want to go to the cinder pit to shoot centerfire. I was bored, so here's what I did with my Steyr PCP LP5 5 shot repeater air pistol at 3Y. I did this according to the instructions including mag reloads. I should have warmed up a bit first and it's funny that I was a bit nervous, lol.

Next time I'll try it at 5Y.

EDIT, oops, I did targets 9 and 10 ten times instead of 3, oh well, I got it now.

At some point in the near future I'll go onto the combat pistols.

Attachments

• DSC00138.JPG
      DSC00138.JPG
      285 KB · Views: 160
    Last edited:
    It's a great drill for forcing you to really bear down and focus on fundamentals. A shot timer is what kicks it way, way into "torture" territory. :)
    Got any ideas for par times starting out?

If you have the whole drill memorized then the time, I'd think, would be ... what .... five minutes?

I was thinking more like a par for each mini drill.

I'm going to the range Friday so I'll give it a shot.

I do not shoot a pistol as well as the previous folks, so I'll set the bottom of the curve...

Reactions: Centuriator
    I’m not sure about time, but I shot these two drills pretty quickly today. I’d guess no more than 5-6 minutes for both.

Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
    Winchester 180 gr (white box)

On the first drill I slammed the trigger on #8.

If I get a chance tomorrow I’ll shoot another from 5 yards.

Attachments

• 75A76A8A-9F2C-4D4D-ACC7-D78CE857DAB1.jpeg
      75A76A8A-9F2C-4D4D-ACC7-D78CE857DAB1.jpeg
      409.3 KB · Views: 120
    • 048563DB-0E52-48D0-98A6-DAFE8BC28177.jpeg
      048563DB-0E52-48D0-98A6-DAFE8BC28177.jpeg
      377.9 KB · Views: 118
    @rth1800 On another thread, RTH1800 was telling everyone how easy the dot torture drill is, so I thought it best to invite him over here and participate in this drill and show us all how it is done.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Dot Torture usually goes like this:

-3yds, no time limit.
    -once you get 50/50, then you do 3yds in under 5:00 (no stopping the clock)
    -once you get 50/50 under 5:00, then you move it to 5yds with no time constraint.
    -once 50/50 at 5yds then do it in 5:00.

It’s a great drill, been doing it since around 2011. Wife and I use it to force the loser into picking what we’re having for dinner after the range.

Dot Torture usually goes like this:

-3yds, no time limit.
    -once you get 50/50, then you do 3yds in under 5:00 (no stopping the clock)
    -once you get 50/50 under 5:00, then you move it to 5yds with no time constraint.
    -once 50/50 at 5yds then do it in 5:00.

It’s a great drill, been doing it since around 2011. Wife and I use it to force the loser into picking what we’re having for dinner after the range.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    Nice work guys.

Gear is in the car for a stop at the range on my way home from work today. Will be running at least one, two if time permits.

CZ P-09 and P-01

Like I said, I love the drill because it absolutely forces the shooter to concentrate on the absolute bed-rock fundamentals. I was happy that though I was rusty from not drilling for about six weeks I was not having trigger control issues. That was the biggest hurdle for me with handgun shooting. I've taken a number of handgun classes with Larry Vickers and he really helped me get past the trigger control problems I was having and convinced me that setting aside everything else going on, trigger control is where it's at.

Thanks, that's helpful.

No problem. Excellent drill but I’ve also run into a lot of people who turn their nose up at it...until they do it or you point out that they have a 20” slow fire spread at 7 yards...which they defend by saying they practice combat shooting because you aren’t going to shoot little dots in combat. lol fucking hate public ranges.

FYI for my wheelgunner homies, I've uploaded a slightly different revolver dot target.

The previous one had a max score of 48. The new one has a max score of 50 just like the original. I got there by adding one more rep (4 instead of 3) to the last micro drill (dots 9 and 10).

I'll be re-running it on the new target and posting up hopefully this week yet.

Very nice facility (y)

Yes, thanks, it is a fantastic place and allows for a very wide variety of shooting disciplines and interest. We just opened up our 400 yard rifle range last weekend. I've also been a member and spent several years with Asymmetric Solutions in Farmington, Missouri. Awesome DOD contract facility that runs a lot of civilian classes. They have a 650 yard rifle range and a 2100 yard rifle range, along with a fantastic shoot house and a lot of different shooting areas. They offer a ton of various classes, and I've had a great time taking them all, many times over, training with exceptionally staff who are all combat tested/proven members of various Tier 1/special forces unit. I was particularly privileged to have taken as many classes as I could from a former SEAL, who spent the last of his six years of his service on the Teams with DEVGRU.

Last edited:
    Listen mental midget, shooting at 3 yards is infantile.
    I hunt squirrels with my Colt Woodsman. Head shoot them to 35 and 40 yards with boring regularity. I have utterly no need to prove anything to you or your tag team troll buddy.
    Now go back to being the Pevely Purveyor of Platitudes. Pevely Perv for short.

• Haha
    Reactions: M8541Reaper
    And..he is still here. Still jabbering.

But, wait, now we learn he hunts squirrels and gets head shots at 40 yards, oh, with "boring regularity."

Again, put up or shut up. We'll even let you do it at three yards, not five yards.

We are waiting. Use that squirrel pistol at 5 yards, do the drill. Post the results.