• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SH Special Rifle ( parts supplied from PX here)

JR_V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2008
Londonderry, NH
Ok guys,

I have a very very good friend of mine of 20+ years who has been like a brother to me and I decided to try and get him back into shooting since he lost some interest after coming back from the sandbox. He has been talking about going shooting a lot more lately and it seems he is on the right page and more mentally clear than where he was several years ago upon his return. I tried doing a budget build but with quality components. I don't have lots of cash to throw around but I felt this came out very well. Almost all the components came from people here on the hide. Great bunch of people that I dealt with and thanks goes out to all of them below for the honest transactions.

Thanks to,
gszeto99
GunjunkieM24
jho
Sgt. Merk
Mister

The Build:

Remington 700 SPS-T Action trued
Mike Rock 5-R .308 1 in 11.25" twist in M40 contour chambered in .308 palma match chamber and cut to 20" and setup with a recessed crown.
New thicker oversized recoil lug.
X-mark Pro trigger
McMillan A5 Fixed Gap Camo
Remington 700 Blueprinted Action (Receiver and Bolt are trued)
Mike Rock 5-R .308 1 in 11.25" twist in M40 contour chambered in .308 palma match chamber and cut to 20" and setup with a recessed crown.
New thicker oversized recoil lug.
X-mark Pro trigger
Badger M5 DBM
McMillan A5 Fixed Gap Camo 1 stud 4 flush cups
Harris BRM-S Bipod with podlock
Nightforce 20 MOA one piece base
Acculock steel rings
Falcon Menace 4-14x44FFP ML16 Reticle

Also have to order a stock pack and rear bag from Triad.

The stock was originally inletted for a GAP Templar action, so I had to dremel out lots of the recoil lug area for the action to sit back where it should. The Templar action is about a quarter of an inch longer than a Rem 700. I still have to remove more of the bedding and rebed the action before slinging rounds down range. I think it needs a Badger knob installed and then it just might be done. So How did I do?

-JR

Pic Time!

Pics457.jpg

Pics462.jpg

Pics467.jpg

Re: SH Special Rifle ( parts supplied from PX here)

You did very well! Very nice of you!

Wow you really transformed that barreled action with all other components. I know you and your friend will enjoy that rifle.

Gene

fawk. your bud is lucky to have a friend like you. Ive had 20 yr friends that wouldnt even drive me to my old job to pick up my last check.

Forgot to add that she weighs a hefty 13.7 LBS. I think for myself, I might build on a M2008 in an AICS. I don't know, the A5 stock fits me well, so maybe I will do a surgeon build instead. Tough decisions ahead.

nice stick! Thats a very nice thing of a true friend to do,good job man.

Damn buddy,

If I had known what you were doing, I would have knocked something off that Badger M5...

You are a great friend to have and hope your buddy enjoys. The demons are hard to fight sometimes and a good friend helps to win those battles.

Best of luck and please let me know if he needs anything else,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunjunkieM24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn buddy,

If I had known what you were doing, I would have knocked something off that Badger M5...

You are a great friend to have and hope your buddy enjoys. <span style="font-weight: bold">The demons are hard to fight sometimes and a good friend helps to win those battles.</span>
Best of luck and please let me know if he needs anything else, </div></div>

Hats off to you, brother. You'll probably never know how much your efforts and support will mean to your buddy, but I guarantee he'll never forget that kindness.

Now on to the next issue... when do we get a range report?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunjunkieM24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn buddy,

You are a great friend to have and hope your buddy enjoys. The demons are hard to fight sometimes and a good friend helps to win those battles.

Best of luck and please let me know if he needs anything else, </div></div>

Don't worry bout the price. I think it was fair and I am happy. As far as the demons, yes the things he witnessed and saw, and had to deal with were very devastating and hard for him to overcome. He went over as an infantryman and did alot of time in a Humvee manning the .50 Cal and saw some real messed up shit. I try to be there for him as I know he needs someone to cope and talk about that isn't a clinical type that he feels will analyze him. He is human, what happens over there is not. So far he has cleansed to the point that he can be at peace and differentiate reality here to the reality in the sandbox. I don't know when we can go and shoot, but I hope it will be soon. I still need to bed the rifle, and have him ready to be behind some firearms.

To all thanks for the kind words as they are very well appreciated.

-JR

Looks great man

Roger that,

I hope he can get some peace soon and maybe start ringing some steel with his new rig.

If you need anything else, let me know...

I have a son in a Humvee on a .50 myself. He just went over and I pray to god that he does not have to see or do some of the things that your friend had to deal with but if he does, we will cope with it when he gets home as a team.....

My hat is off to you for what you have done and hope it all works out.