• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shadow Tech LLC. PIG & HOG Rifle saddle for Tripods.

6.5 GUY

Be careful what you wish for….
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2013
Northern ID
Very neat product, works really well in any tripod. They have two versions, the HOG Saddle Mod7 made from a solid piece of aluminum, and now a stamped steel version called the PIG. Both will accept any type rifle stock within the clamp.

If you've ever had to take a standing shot and used a tree to get over the brush for a long distance shot these really help. I've had to pack my spotting scope and tripod to avoid long stalks for judging game and having one of these will only add another pound..... I know sometimes packing another pound is taxing, but a precision LR shot is crucial, and not always available to be taken from the prone position. With this sitting, kneeling or standing becomes even more "doable".

I don't ever take shots on game that I'm not 100% certain of a lethal hit, and practice a lot of LR shooting from various positions in the field. Knowing how to use what's around you for a stabile shot is super important and this product helps put you in a position of your choice, and your rifle in a more stabile platform when nothing else is available.

It works really well for me on standing LR shots. It's not rock solid like off a bench and rest, or a Bulls Bag off the roof of a truck, but way better then shooting sticks, leaning into a tree or off the side edge of one...... or the impossible off hand shot. Which I will only do on a already wounded animal or something very close.

Depending on the type of tripod you're using and the terrain will ultimately determine just how stable the platform. There is usually some flex having that much leverage of the gun in the cradle on the tripod. I keep the panning part of the head to allow movement left to right, and lock the horizontal and cant on the tripod. Works well out to 600 yards and 800 if you're very flat footed.

Here's a photo of two shots from a standing position at 600 yards on an ice covered road up hill at a 11 degree angle using the HOG Saddle.

Attachments

• 7mm08 Standing 600 yard off Tripod.jpg
    7mm08 Standing 600 yard off Tripod.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I recently received a PIG saddle and I absolutely love it! It is a little heavy but a great piece of equipment and worth every penny. I have a few of the cradles from PRS and they work well, but this PIG saddle will allow accuracy and precision damn near as good as on a bipod when used correctly.

Ninja,

The DCLW tripod doesn't have an adjustment for cant. Unless you shoot on a perfectly flat surface 100% of the time it isn't very practical.
For half the price you can get a Manfrotto, Slik, or Vanguard tripod that will have better adjustment and allow you the option to shoot from the standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone.

I had one of the early DCLW tripods and was disappointed with the lack of cant. The new ones that are out do adjust (slightly) for cant. They also changed the feet. I'll be picking up one of the new ones, I just wish Phoenix tactical still made the the feet upgrades for them.