• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shaking out the TR...

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Ok, got my trainer setup pretty well with an EGW 20moa base, DIP bottom metal & Rifle Basix trigger. Just couldn't like that Accutrigger...

Anyway, got it zeroed @ 50yds with Remmy Target (Eley) and proceeded to mess around with doping out to 175yds. I cut a 1/4" plate & painted a 6" white circle to hold on. After getting my dope up, here's 20 rounds @ 150yds. Had the scope on 10x to hold wind with the mildot reticle...

MemorialDay11033.jpg

I know there's LOTS of room for improvement! I can already see a bedding job in the future, as it seemed the rifle was very finicky to my lackluster bipod loading skills...

My spotter was intent on looking for fur to collect after the shot & doesn't appear terribly pleased with this steel shooting nonsense...
MemorialDay11010.jpg

After this fun day of shooting, I'm pretty much hooked on the challenge of the .22LR! I appreciate everyone sharing their rimfire knowledge here, as I've been reading along in earnest for quite some time...

Re: Shaking out the TR...

That's pretty nice shooting, I'd say you don't need too much done to the gun!

thanks fellas!
I'm going to take it as far as I can manage to hold things together. At least 300, in baby steps...
I've got the RB trigger set just above min, barely 2 lbs. I put a couple hundred rounds thru with the Accu-jobby, but just couldn't like it...

Heck, I can't wait to get out again! I'll have some rimfire comp targets ready this time, too.

With a 50yd zero, my dope was
100yds: 6.25 moa
125yds: 10.75
150yds: 15.25
175yds: 20.00

Does this jive with what you guys are seeing?

What scope is that you're using?

Double post, sh!tty internet connection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dubetsky13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how far are you away from albany? </div></div>

PM coming...

3w, the scope is a 6500 2.5-16x42, mildot reticle, covered turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With a 50yd zero, my dope was
100yds: 6.25 moa
125yds: 10.75
150yds: 15.25
175yds: 20.00

Does this jive with what you guys are seeing? </div></div>
Nice shooting! My dope isn't exactly like yours but it is "close enough for government work!"

Yeah, that was some nice shooting. My dope is only a couple of clicks off from yours. The sub sonics drop like bricks and fly around like feathers in the wind. What were your wind conditions like? How far off did you have to hold?

The wind was 5-10 from my 10:00, and blowing slightly downhill (you can get the idea in the slanted photos) Now that I think of it, maybe that downhill element of the wind was affecting the vertical?
As for holds, keeping the scope on ranging 10x, I was holding on at 1mil when the rustling grass got lazy & up to 2mils as the breeze came up...
Very cool to see that slow moving little bullet arching downrange in the sunlight!

Have you removed the barreled action from the stock yet? I made a new bottom plate out of carbon fiber (had some extra and it's stiff) and started doing some measuring. I determined that there is a gap between the stock and the threaded pieces on the bottom of the receiver on mine. When torqued down, it is basically pulled down into the receiver channel and the rearmost post on the underside of the receiver bottoms out. I'm planning to pillar bed it soon but haven't planned out how yet.

Data on my Savage MarkII TR
100 yds 10 rounds
80 deg 8 knots sustained 10 to 12 gust
6 MOA up 1 left
Ammo is aguilla match first 3 shots were new scope sight in.
scope is a BSA stealth tactical 4x16x44
Harris bipod
accutrigger set to 2.5lbs
DSC00277.jpg

018.jpg

lookin' good, 5301!

Yep, I've had it out of the stock for initial inspection & cleaning, painting, installing the Rifle Basix trigger & bottom metal.
Before bedding, I'm going to do some more research...