• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shallow Eye Box on Nightforce ATACR F1

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
So I bought a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 FFP scope a good while back. I have two other NF scopes that I really like. I have a 5.5-22 NXS and a 5-25 ATACR which are both SFP scopes. Both of the second focal plane scopes have a very generous eye box, that is, I don't have to adjust the distance from my eye to the ocular lens much at all to get good edge to edge clarity and none of the tunneling appearance. But with this FFP scope i have to have my eye the exact perfect distance or I don't get good edge to edge clarity. Even shooting prone and not breaking my cheek weld in between shots Im still fighting with this and its really starting to drive me nuts. I thought I would get used to it with time. My question is: is this just a NF issue or is this an issue with all FFP scopes?

Some optics show a shift in eye relief , that is the optimum distance your eye is from the ocular ,
when zooming up or down . Exit pupil size however , is front end divided by max zoom .

Have you tried moving / mounting the optic back or forward slightly to improve this issue ?
The best scope I have doesn’t have that issue at all , a 5 - 40 March . From 5 all the way to 40 ,
eye relief is very consistent . Same with the Hensoldts , with a PM2 Schmidt there is a small
change , and also with a couple of LRHS .

You are referring to eye relief, not eye box. Both 5-25 scopes have extremely similar eye relief. Are you sure you mounted the scope at the correct distance for you? I often think I have, until I actually go shoot, and then I adjust slightly from there.